Salvation

Discussion in 'Religion and Ethics' started by MikeHoncho, Jan 6, 2013.

1. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Does man choose salvation or does God choose who gets saved?

2. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I'm talking about the classic debate on the interpretation of predestination, anyone want to engage in this discussion?

I thought maybe some people needed a break from the "this is a fairy tale, no its not" type discussions.

3. Votto

Votto Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,885
    I've always looked at it as though we have the power to choose even though God already knows the outcome before it happens.

4. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10

I hear ya, but if that was the case, would I be mistaken to say that the glory would then go to you, instead of God?

5. biblical

biblical Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22
    John 3:3 - Jesus said, unless one is born again, he cannot see the Kingdom of God.

If our salvation was up to God or Jesus, God would have just made it happen and Jesus would not have told us to be born again.

Genesis 2:17 - for in the day, that you eat of it, you shall surely die.

God's blessings are optional, you can accept them or reject them. God warned the first man Adam about what would happen, if Adam made the wrong choice, because Adam was free to choose and God was not going to decide for him.
    So, if God did not decide the fate or destiny of the first man, would the same God choose for the third, tenth or millionth man?

6. TheOldSchool

TheOldSchool BANNED

Thanks Received:
    last stop for sanity before reaching the south
    Ratings:
    +28,061
    If God made us, loved us (as the bible claims), gave his only son to save us, and let us be born in a world that would lead us to sin and thus to burn in hell... then wtf.

That's a dick move God.

7. whitehall

whitehall Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,900
    Jesuits have spent entire careers studying Biblical concepts. Don't expect a quick answer on a political forum.

8. Book of Jeremiah

Book of Jeremiah Platinum Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,065
    The bible says God first chose us and drew us by sending the Holy Spirit and then if man responds to God by accepting his offer of salvation through Jesus Christ shed blood at the cross, he becomes born again. The bible says, Whosever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.

God is not willing that any should perish but that all should turn from their wicked ways and repent and receive Jesus Christ as their savior but it is definitely the Holy Spirit who opens a persons eyes to their need for A Savior.

This is why it is so important to pray for the lost. We are saved because someone prayed for us. Years ago I asked the LORD who prayed for my salvation and he showed me who the person was. I was in awe that it was someone who really didn't know me that well. She just had a heart to pray for my salvation and she did! I thank God she did.

Now when I am driving down the road I will be praying for people in front of me, beside me and asking the Holy Spirit to go to them and draw them that they can be saved. I pray for stangers alot. I feel like some of them may not have any family members who are saved and I may be the only one praying for them!

I have no idea how many of those prayers God has answered but I have seen some pretty amazing miracles in the area of salvation. It is the greatest high in the world to see another person come to Christ and be filled with joy. There is nothing like it on earth. It is the best.

9. TheOldSchool

TheOldSchool BANNED

Thanks Received:
    last stop for sanity before reaching the south
    Ratings:
    +28,061
    So wtf does it mean to repent? I don't perform any evil, at least I'm pretty sure I don't. If I knew of any I would repent of it.

Any advice?

10. Book of Jeremiah

Book of Jeremiah Platinum Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,065
    I have a neat story I want to share with you. I had a new cell phone years ago and the cell number was formerly owned by a drug dealer! I get this text message on my phone asking for drugs! The young man thought I was the former owner of the phone apparently. I texted him back, I don't have any of that but I do have Jesus! I told him I don't believe God is in the policing business and I have no intention of turning him in so he can relax but would he mind if I keep him in my prayers.

He texted me back and said, Pray what for me? I said, well how about if I just pray Gods will would be fulfilled in your life and also pray for protection over you. So that you will be kept save while you are out there apart from God. He texted back I guess that would alright.

So I began to pray for this person every day. Gods will be fulfilled in his life and God send angels to surround this young man and protect him.

About a week later it is New Years Day. He texted me and said, have you been praying for me? I texted back, every day. I pray angels around you that God will keep you protected whever you go and his will be fulfilled in your life.

He said, I need to thank you. He said, last night I was in an accident in the middle of the night. My car rolled 3 times and was totaled. They could not believe this young man was not harmed in any way and the police officer said to him if he hadn't had his seat belt on he would have been dead. He told me I didn't have my seat belt on. Something kept me in my seat. I told him that was the angels I prayed to keep him safe. He said, he was "trippin' over that" and wanted to thank me. Please keep praying.

Well, each year once or twice a year I text him to check on him and he will tell me he was just thinking about me and wondering if I was still praying for him! The last time I heard from him he told me he is in school now and doing very well. I believe he is also making his way back to God now as he told me his mother is a christian and they may come visit my church some day. ( we have never met in person before )

So you never know how God is going to use you. Always be ready to talk to someone about Jesus and ask them if you can pray for them. You never know. You just may be saving a life out there.

-Jeremiah