Salt Limits in Prepared Meals May Be Mandatory

Discussion in 'Health and Lifestyle' started by chanel, Mar 4, 2010.

1. chanel

chanel Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,749
    Salt Limits in Prepared Meals May Be Mandatory, CDC Chief Says - BusinessWeek

There is some controversy over whether sodium really is as harmful as they say. Could this be another "Big Daddy Gubmint" boondoggle like Warmergate?

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. Si modo

Si modo Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,703
    Sodium is required for proper functioning of our cells, especially neurons.

Personally, I consume more salt than most I know. I have no problems with blood pressure or edema. I am not unique, either.

Anyway, this sort of crap pisses me off, especially now. I just spent a good part of the weekend in the damn hospital and the default menu they give new patients is the fucking ZERO sodium diet. So, after being in the ER since 5 PM the day before and going through admissions, tests, etc. and being up all freakin' night because of that, the first meal I get is breakfast. I'm sorta hungry, too, when it gets there. It's scrambled eggs and grits with not a single grain of salt anywhere on the tray!!!

Who the hell can eat either of those things without any salt?

And, they had all the bloodwork on me that indicated there was no fucking reason for me to BE on the sodium free diet.

Now, here's the best part: The nurses knew that there was no reason for a zero-sodium diet; the ER MD knew there was no reason for me to be on a zero-sodium diet, but they could not override this default diet for me until the floor MD got there. She got there at 2 PM so I had to have a freakin' salt free lunch!

So, the nurses were kind enough to make me portable and I dragged my IV and my butt down to the basement to buy something in the cafeteria. While there, I grabbed a handful of salt packets in case the bureaucracy didn't get my diet straightend out for dinner. Contraband! You bet your ass I bought a bag of Lays, too. :lol:

[/end salt rant]

Now, more specifically on the topic. I wonder where the Constitution allows for there to be Federal food police? This is none of their fucking business.

The intrusions just keep coming.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  3. strollingbones

strollingbones Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,939
    i am not a big salt person....we dont use much salt and i dont put a salt shaker on the table..that cuts down a lot of salt use....i think salt is bad for ya...if you are sensitive to it...its like anything else...some people it never worries..others it does....

and what the hell are they gonna tax salt shakers now?

4. Si modo

Si modo Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,703
    Obviously, anyone who gets between me and my salt are going to have issues with me. Thems fightin' acts.

5. mudwhistle

mudwhistle Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +26,206
    You go girl.

This is what we can expect from Obamacare. To cut costs he's gonna tell us how to eat and how to live....just so's he can cut costs.

Cocksucker

6. mudwhistle

mudwhistle Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +26,206
    When you're exerting yourself and sweating alot you need salt to keep from cramping.

Seems to be an overreaction to me.

7. jillian

jillian Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,428
    Sodium isn't required in the absurd amounts in which it's included in prepared and processed foods.

Add your own if you want (not that you should) but I shouldn't have to forego buying something because a single serving has over 700 mg of salt. No?

I'm not talking about 'O sodium'. Neither is anyone else near as I can tell, so I'm not quite sure why you're arguing against something that no one is proposing. Isn't there a middle ground between zero and what's done now?

8. Si modo

Si modo Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,703
    I happen to require a lot of salt. I never buy the low-sodium version of foods (broth, soup, V8 juice, etc.). Never.

Actually, I should as I need a lot of salt.
    Then don't buy those foods. I don't buy the low-sodium foods. See how simple that is?

Last edited: Mar 4, 2010
  9. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    So, why don't we leave the responsibility to the individual? Jillian, is there any limit that you think should be placed on the government? Any?

10. strollingbones

strollingbones Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,939
    are you just fucking stupid or just fucking annoying?

taking the salt shaker off the table is hardly an over reaction....as i stated some people it worries...some it doesnt....we still get plenty of salt ...how much salt do you think someone needs a day?

Here are the cold, hard facts. The body requires only 500 milligrams of sodium each day. The American Heart Association recommends no more than 2,400 milligrams of sodium per day, but most of us take in more than 4,000 milligrams every day.

WikiAnswers - How much sodium does a person need in a day