Salt Limits in Prepared Meals May Be Mandatory

The U.S. food industry may face federal sodium restrictions if it doesn’t move on its own to make packaged meals less salty, said Thomas Frieden, director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

“Substantial changes” in food production are needed to improve Americans’ health by reducing salt consumption, Frieden, who previously headed New York City’s health department, said in an editorial published today in the Annals of Internal Medicine. A voluntary reduction of salt by food manufacturers would lower consumption more than a mandatory tax on salt in packaged foods, according to a study in the same journal that Frieden cited.

Levying a “sodium tax” could decrease U.S. sodium consumption by 6 percent and save $22.4 billion in medical costs, the study found. No country has imposed such a tax, according to the report.

“After tobacco control, the most cost-effective intervention to control chronic diseases might be reduction of sodium intake,” Frieden said in the editorial, written with Peter Briss, the CDC’s acting associate director for science.

Salt Limits in Prepared Meals May Be Mandatory, CDC Chief Says - BusinessWeek

There is some controversy over whether sodium really is as harmful as they say. Could this be another "Big Daddy Gubmint" boondoggle like Warmergate?

I hope they still put salt on the table then. Freaking nanny-stateism.

Seriously this is not a huge deal to me but the general attitude of legislating behavior just pisses me off.
Obviously, I like my salt. But even if I didn't, the intrusions keep coming, and coming, and coming; so I can understand being pissed off about them.

It's not so much what's in the food as it is the intrusion into whether people should eat the food. The "forbidden" list just gets longer and longer. When it really comes down to it, damned near everything we eat has been altered in one way or another unless it happens to come out of our own backyard.

Whether or not you are a salt lover with low blood pressure like si modo and myself, do people really understand how much new regs like this cost? We are in a recession folks. These manufacturers don't need more government bullshit to deal with. Compliance will cost billions and will be passed down to the consumer whether in the form of a "salt tax" or just one of those hidden taxes politicians love.

And on a side note; with the health nazis dictating how we can all live to be a hundred, how the hell will SS and Medicare handle it? Personally, I don't want to live to be 100. You're welcome future grandkids. Lol

Whether or not you are a salt lover with low blood pressure like si modo and myself, do people really understand how much new regs like this cost? We are in a recession folks. These manufacturers don't need more government bullshit to deal with. Compliance will cost billions and will be passed down to the consumer whether in the form of a "salt tax" or just one of those hidden taxes politicians love.

I can tell you one thing...companies will save money on their salt purchases.

However, probably Mortons will just raise the price of salt.

Considering that the body tightly regulates salt levels, we simply urinate excess salt out, and the link between sodium levels and heart disease is tenuous at best, this proposal is just another BS excuse to employ more bureaucrats.

Before long, the government will regulate the way we wipe our ass.

Last edited:

And on a side note; with the health nazis dictating how we can all live to be a hundred, how the hell will SS and Medicare handle it? Personally, I don't want to live to be 100. You're welcome future grandkids. Lol
Exactly. There are two ways to do this, the market or the government.

With the market, the demand for low-sodium is there as is one for high sodium and folks buy products accordingly.

With the government option of dealing with this, we need a law/regulation, we need retooling/redesign of processing plants, and everyone ends up paying more when they can least afford to do so in a shit economy.

KISS principle.

LOL. The cost of sodium chloride is likely pretty low on total manufacturing cost.

Considering that the body tightly regulates salt levels, we simply urinate excess salt out, and the link between sodium levels and heart disease is tenuous at best, this proposal is just another BS excuse to employ more bureaucrats.

You're not too far out there with that last statement. Some celeb/greenie advocates using a certain number of sheets to wipe your ass. Let's hope Algore doesn't start spouting off about that. He's all Hollywood now, you know. :cuckoo:

That is what I'm worried about

do we really want to end up with this.....

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mFuB0gsNAA]YouTube - 3 seashells scene Demolitian Man[/ame]

The U.S. food industry may face federal sodium restrictions if it doesn’t move on its own to make packaged meals less salty, said Thomas Frieden, director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

“Substantial changes” in food production are needed to improve Americans’ health by reducing salt consumption, Frieden, who previously headed New York City’s health department, said in an editorial published today in the Annals of Internal Medicine. A voluntary reduction of salt by food manufacturers would lower consumption more than a mandatory tax on salt in packaged foods, according to a study in the same journal that Frieden cited.

Levying a “sodium tax” could decrease U.S. sodium consumption by 6 percent and save $22.4 billion in medical costs, the study found. No country has imposed such a tax, according to the report.

“After tobacco control, the most cost-effective intervention to control chronic diseases might be reduction of sodium intake,” Frieden said in the editorial, written with Peter Briss, the CDC’s acting associate director for science.

Salt Limits in Prepared Meals May Be Mandatory, CDC Chief Says - BusinessWeek

There is some controversy over whether sodium really is as harmful as they say. Could this be another "Big Daddy Gubmint" boondoggle like Warmergate?

wow this will cause a decrease in Lipitor and BP pill sales.
Another economic hit :(

That is what I'm worried about

do we really want to end up with this.....

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mFuB0gsNAA]YouTube - 3 seashells scene Demolitian Man[/ame]

this makes me angry!

i now have a sudden urge to knit a sweater.

You're not too far out there with that last statement. Some celeb/greenie advocates using a certain number of sheets to wipe your ass. Let's hope Algore doesn't start spouting off about that. He's all Hollywood now, you know. :cuckoo:

But roll off the top or from underneath?

LOL. The cost of sodium chloride is likely pretty low on total manufacturing cost.

But it's not free!

But it's not free!

it is when you bring home 100 gallons of seawater and let it evaporate :D....oh damn it i guess i had to put gas in the truck to do that....nevermind not free.

:)

Let's see - the cost of salt vs. changing recipes, printing new packaging, forms, advertising, penalties for non-compliance, etc....? And not to mention - THE FOOD MAY TASTE LIKE SHIT AND PEOPLE WON'T BUY IT!

We don't have to be accountants or economics majors. Anyone who owns any type of business understands costs involved with any new govt. regulation.

Let's see - the cost of salt vs. changing recipes, printing new packaging, forms, advertising, penalties for non-compliance, etc....? And not to mention - THE FOOD MAY TASTE LIKE SHIT AND PEOPLE WON'T BUY IT!

We don't have to be accountants or economics majors. Anyone who owns any type of business understands costs involved with any new govt. regulation.

Just look to the post office :eusa_whistle:

I tend to be open minded about many things but there are two things that are simply non-negotiable in my life.

1. Coke. No Pepsi. Pepsi is for pinko commies.

2. TP rolls off the top. Rolling TP from underneath is what pinko commies do.

That's my position and I'm sticking with it. :eusa_hand:

I tend to be open minded about many things but there are two things that are simply non-negotiable in my life.

1. Coke. No Pepsi. Pepsi is for pinko commies.

2. TP rolls off the top. Rolling TP from underneath is what pinko commies do.

That's my position and I'm sticking with it. :eusa_hand:

I go with Nancy and just say no to Coke. It has a bitter taste.

Forum List

Back