Are you insane?

chanel

Silver Member
Jun 8, 2009
People's Republic of NJ
The manual, prepared by the American Psychiatric Assn., is psychiatry's only official way of deciding who has a "mental disorder" and who is "normal." Where the DSM-versus-normality boundary is drawn also influences insurance coverage, eligibility for disability and services, and legal status -- to say nothing of stigma and the individual's sense of personal control and responsibility.

What are some of the most egregious invasions of normality suggested for DSM-V? "Binge eating disorder" is defined as one eating binge per week for three months. (Full disclosure: I, along with more than 6% of the population, would qualify.) "Minor neurocognitive disorder" would capture many people with no more than the expected memory problems of aging. Grieving after the loss of a loved one could frequently be misread as "major depression." "Mixed anxiety depression" is defined by commonplace symptoms difficult to distinguish from the emotional pains of everyday life.

The sexual disorders section is particularly adventurous. "Hypersexuality disorder" would bring great comfort to philanderers wishing to hide the motivation for their exploits behind a psychiatric excuse. "Paraphilic coercive disorder" introduces the novel and dangerous idea that rapists merit a diagnosis of mental disorder if they get special sexual excitement from raping.

It's not too late to save 'normal' - latimes.com)

Yes - the medicalization (is that a word) of bad behavior. In special ed. we have a ton of labels: ED (emotionally disturbed), ODD (oppositional defiance disorder), SLD (specific learning disability - generic term for "don't have a clue") and so on. It's now an excuse for acting like an asshole. It also becomes a self-fulfilling prophesy. Too often when a kid acts up, he or she will tell me: "Sorry Mrs. C. Didn't take my meds today" and I'm supposed to allow them to throw erasers or something. Errrrr!

Yes - the medicalization (is that a word) of bad behavior. In special ed. we have a ton of labels: ED (emotionally disturbed), ODD (oppositional defiance disorder), SLD (specific learning disability - generic term for "don't have a clue") and so on. It's now an excuse for acting like an asshole. It also becomes a self-fulfilling prophesy. Too often when a kid acts up, he or she will tell me: "Sorry Mrs. C. Didn't take my meds today" and I'm supposed to allow them to throw erasers or something. Errrrr!
I swear. You are either a saint or I need to take your avatar seriously. ;)

I'm no saint. You have to learn to laugh in this biz or else bitch on message boards. I use a combination of the two.

One of the most ridiculous things I've had to deal with in the past few years are "behavior manifestation meetings". If a classified kid gets in real serious trouble (bomb scare, weapon, major drug dealing, etc), a team of professionals is assembled to determine if the "behavior ie. crime" was a "manifestation" of the disability. If it is so determined, the child may not be disciplined. We've never determined that it was, but when that day comes, you will see many a job opening in my field. "yes I raped a girl. I have "Paraphilic coercive disorder". Errrrrr!

Ha ha. But you are basically correct. Drugging children who don't listen is very in vogue these days. It makes parents feel good about "doing something" about it.

Any decent parent with a problem child would drug or drink themselves into oblivion rather than the child.

Let the child run wild and free and see if Darwinian forces straighten their ass out.

Ha ha. But you are basically correct. Drugging children who don't listen is very in vogue these days. It makes parents feel good about "doing something" about it.
My grands when they first came here lived with us for close to a year temper tantrums were their thing when they got here. I don't do temper tantrums well at all. The oldest learned within the first week where his trouble spot was at. The moment he felt a rage coming on he would run for the corner that was designated for those occasions.

Shit is so backwards it is pathetic. Attention Deficit Disorder. Think on that is it the child's lack of attention or the lack of attention the child needs and does not get?

Last edited:
When I was in school Attention Deficit Disorder was called "stoner".

The first sign was making a Led Zeppelin cutting board in woodshop.

Those were golden days.

And I got away with all my fingers.

When I was in school Attention Deficit Disorder was called "stoner".

The first sign was making a Led Zeppelin cutting board in woodshop.

Those were golden days.

And I got away with all my fingers.
Ah, yes those were the days. A boy who had a crush on me gave me the little hammer he made in shop. I kept telling him he should keep it. He insisted I have it and slipped it into my purse after I said no a dozen times. He then decided that he was going for a kiss. His hammer whack him up the side of the head as I swung my purse at him. Those were the days.

Ah, yes those were the days. A boy who had a crush on me gave me the little hammer he made in shop. I kept telling him he should keep it. He insisted I have it and slipped it into my purse after I said no a dozen times. He then decided that he was going for a kiss. His hammer whack him up the side of the head as I swung my purse at him. Those were the days.

You hit him so hard he became an MBA?

The term for lying compulsively during a State of The Union address or during a press conference needs to be identified because I keep seeing it.:eusa_eh:

I'm no saint. You have to learn to laugh in this biz or else bitch on message boards. I use a combination of the two.

One of the most ridiculous things I've had to deal with in the past few years are "behavior manifestation meetings". If a classified kid gets in real serious trouble (bomb scare, weapon, major drug dealing, etc), a team of professionals is assembled to determine if the "behavior ie. crime" was a "manifestation" of the disability. If it is so determined, the child may not be disciplined. We've never determined that it was, but when that day comes, you will see many a job opening in my field. "yes I raped a girl. I have "Paraphilic coercive disorder". Errrrrr!

years ago....i had to go to a "team teachers" sit down about my son...all his teachers were there...he was in the 6th grade...much concern...etc....i am going with it...he didnt do one thing major just a lot of minor mal....lots of it...this was the year friends picked him up from detention cause they didnt want to hear me bitch about it....but he had a lot of detentions etc...so they are all going on about how rotten the kidlet is...when ones says...
"it will take years of intervention with kidlet" i am like what the fuck...he is 11...he aint nearly done yet...and that is when they learned where he got his mouth from...but i also got out of teaching due to students, parents and admins

Maybe this is the way libs deal with crime and violence. Instead of punishing it they want to explore it's causes or label it so they can show sympathy for the offenders.

I wonder what the syndrome is for someone who refuses to see the truth and continues to vote for the same schmucks even though they know that schmuck is ruining the country or the state they live in?

Last edited:
The DSM-5 is in development. Check this out - Temper Dysregulation Disorder. Basically, it makes being a brat a mental disease.

How nice that we have the DSM to take away so many personal responsibilities.
I'm sure there will be a drug or vaccine to take care of that disorder.
:lol: You're not too out of the ballpark with that comment. Psychiatric medications are major profit earners. And, we now have public schools monitoring the medications children take and insisting to parents that the children take them if the child gets diagnosed with a disorder that 'responds' to a med.

HIPPA should forbid this.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back