Sallow's kidney stone adventure.

I have had 15 of them (I think...I lost count)...no...seriously.
The last one damaged my kidney and I was in the hospital for several days.
Kidney stones can range from a little needle-like pain for a couple seconds to total anguish where you are completely incapacitated. I have had the full range.
The worst ones will put you on the floor, you will not be able to walk...you can't hold concentration for that long. Kidney stone pain is considered to be one of the worst pain that a human can experience from natural causes...and yes ladies...well above the pain of child birth.

Count yourself lucky Sallow it wasn't one of the bad ones.

So - you still have it in you? What are you doing to get it out?
Consider me an expert, seriously I know more than most doctors know about them...I should.

Woke up this morning in excrutiating pain. Figured I'd wait for a clinic to open up nearby and go. When I got there they told me to hit the emergency room. Took a cab, which in itself was an experience. The pain was unbelivable. I got to Mount Sinai hospital in Astoria and they got to me pretty quickly. The C-Scan showed a kidney stone. The doctor said nothing to worry about.

What a day!

the doctor has obviously never had a kidney stone his own self

pain doesn't even begin to describe it.

I have had 15 of them (I think...I lost count)...no...seriously.
The last one damaged my kidney and I was in the hospital for several days.
Kidney stones can range from a little needle-like pain for a couple seconds to total anguish where you are completely incapacitated. I have had the full range.
The worst ones will put you on the floor, you will not be able to walk...you can't hold concentration for that long. Kidney stone pain is considered to be one of the worst pain that a human can experience from natural causes...and yes ladies...well above the pain of child birth.

Count yourself lucky Sallow it wasn't one of the bad ones.

So - you still have it in you? What are you doing to get it out?
Consider me an expert, seriously I know more than most doctors know about them...I should.

Oh this was bad. I had an ablation and this was nearly on par with that. I don't know if it's out yet. The doc seems to think it should be out in the next 24 hours.

And BTW - if it is still in you - you should get some Cranberry juice. Not the cranberry cocktail from Ocean Spray that is about 5% cranberry juice - the real thing...not always easy to find - any drug store will have it....most grocery stores don't have it.
This will dramatically reduce the chance of a UTI since you likely have blood in your urine from irritation and tiny cuts from the stone (kidney stones can and usually do have rough jagged edges)

And BTW - if it is still in you - you should get some Cranberry juice. Not the cranberry cocktail from Ocean Spray that is about 5% cranberry juice - the real thing...not always easy to find - any drug store will have it....most grocery stores don't have it.
This will dramatically reduce the chance of a UTI since you likely have blood in your urine from irritation and tiny cuts from the stone (kidney stones can and usually do have rough jagged edges)

Thanks!

Feel alot better now. The hospital was quite generous with the painkillers.

Feel alot better now. The hospital was quite generous with the painkillers.

:eusa_whistle:
Absolutely...that is the plus side of having a kidney stone...they don't full around - they break out the good stuff and usually give you more than you will possibly need. If you get nauseated (common) ask for Promethezine...fantastic stuff...and makes you sleep like a little baby.

That they did! The nurse giving me shots was like a bartender. She even asked me if I wanted another every few minutes!

That they did! The nurse giving me shots was like a bartender. She even asked me if I wanted another every few minutes!

The first shot was probably Fentanyl...super quick pain killer, best thing about it is it is synthetic. Morphine is good...but ugh can it ever make you sick.
The 2nd shot would have been Phenagran and a morphine derivative...instant calm...makes you wanna break out and start singing "It's a Wonderful world..."

Woke up this morning in excrutiating pain. Figured I'd wait for a clinic to open up nearby and go. When I got there they told me to hit the emergency room. Took a cab, which in itself was an experience. The pain was unbelivable. I got to Mount Sinai hospital in Astoria and they got to me pretty quickly. The C-Scan showed a kidney stone. The doctor said nothing to worry about.

What a day!
Oh, man, that sucks, dood.

Yep I usually have a follow up with a round of Keflex antibiotic, otherwise I get an infection.

And btw Morphine will not even kill the pain.

Prob sleepin' like a baby about now.
I guess in this case, no news is bad news.

Sallow drops back to the 40 yard line... IT'S A PASS!
Hail Mary's anyone?

My girlfriend was a real champ during this whole thing. She took the day off from work and waited around the hospital. Then she roasted a chicken that night. Feeling great this morning, no problems.

Forum List

Back