Safety of Beef Processing Method Is Questioned

&

☭proletarian☭

Eight years ago, federal officials were struggling to remove potentially deadly E. coli from hamburgers when an entrepreneurial company from South Dakota came up with a novel idea: injecting beef with ammonia.

The company, Beef Products Inc., had been looking to expand into the hamburger business with a product made from beef that included fatty trimmings the industry once relegated to pet food and cooking oil. The trimmings were particularly susceptible to contamination, but a study commissioned by the company showed that the ammonia process would kill E. coli as well as salmonella.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/31/us/31meat.html?_r=2&em

reason 9000000000000000000 for eating organic food. i don't trust big business that only cares about profit with my life.

reason 9000000000000000000 for eating organic food. i don't trust big business that only cares about profit with my life.

Yeah, but if a business truly only cares about profit, then that means they want to stay in business for the long term...which means offering safe food for consumer consumption.

Thats the problem half the time with the anti-business crowd. They never take their thoughts to a logical conclusion.

Now, would I knowingly eat beef that has been decontaminated with ammonia? Hell no. That just sounds gross.

Now, would I knowingly eat beef that has been decontaminated with ammonia? Hell no. That just sounds gross.

Isn't ammonia bad for us? The concept strikes me as absurd.

☭proletarian☭;1863886 said:

Isn't ammonia bad for us? The concept strikes me as absurd.

Thats my thinking too.

It's like making Taco Bell edible by adding chlorine or sumtin'.

Eat all the infected animal flesh you want peeps, that leaves more veggies for ME!

☭proletarian☭;1864118 said:
Eat all the infected animal flesh you want peeps, that leaves more veggies for ME!
Enjoy your pesticides, salad eater :evil:

organic is the way to go. avoid it all and it tastes much better!!
Enjoy our whatever-virus-the-bugs-carry, hippie! :evil:

In all serious though, I find this news unsettling. Perhaps it's time to pull out the muckrake and take a look at the meat industry again?

☭proletarian☭;1864131 said:
☭proletarian☭;1864118 said:
Enjoy your pesticides, salad eater :evil:

In all serious though, I find this news unsettling. Perhaps it's time to pull out the muckrake and take a look at the meat industry again?

or just eat organic food like people did for thousands of years before the mass production food companies came into effect and start serving crap food to people

☭proletarian☭;1864131 said:

or just eat organic food like people did for thousands of years before the mass production food companies came into effect and start serving crap food to people

The only good grain is the one turned into booze or bread.

MMMMMMMMMMM MEAT!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjNGFvqxUSM&feature=related[/ame]

Forum List

Back