Sacrifice!! a lesson for us ALL.

Discussion in 'Congress' started by Navy1960, Sep 30, 2008.

1. Navy1960

Navy1960 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,189
    "Baby, i know that regardless of the circumstances, God is putting me exactly where he wants me for the time being. i know that that is hard to swallow, but it is the truth...." [Oct. 14, 2007]

Every morning, first thing, Melissa Haddad checked her e-mail for something from Pete. And every night, before turning in, she'd look one last time for one final note.

Half a world away, at his base in the Green Zone in Baghdad, 2nd Lt. Peter Burks did the same, across all those miles and all the time zones between them, sharing his thoughts with Missy, the woman he'd dreamed about for most of his life

Letters from soldier killed in Iraq reveal his love, faith | News for Dallas, Texas | Dallas Morning News | Breaking News for Dallas-Fort Worth | Dallas Morning News

Each day you and I wake up, and we take a breath and we come here to this place and talk and sometimes fight about our views on things. These are the freedoms we exercise each day and protected and sometime paid for in the highest price by people like Lt. Burks. So when we stop to think about who's side holds the high moral ground on supporting the troops for a political reason. stop for a moment and think of people like Lt. Burks and Missy, real Americans that lived this everyday. Their love for one another gave them hope and sustained them. So for our part we should honor the sacrifice of people like Lt. Burks and many of his fellow soilders, sailors, airmen, and marines by not using them as a political tool to prop up one candidate or the other but rather, we should quietly respect the what men and women like Lt. Burks and Missy have given so much for us to be Free.

[​IMG]

2. editec

editec Mr. Forgot-it-All

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,618
    I hate to say this, because the sacrifice those boys and girls are making is very real, but I do NOT think they are defending MY freedom.

3. Navy1960

Navy1960 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,189
    Well edit your of course entitled to your opinion on the matter but, each young man and woman that joins the military takes an oath and makes a commitment to their country that goes far beyond what the average American is willing to do. In a lot of cases many of these people are in combat regardless of who sent them there and why , they go without question because deep down they have a deep abiding love and belief in their country. The oath they take is one that says they will defend the very same constitution that you and I exercise each and everyday. So while in a direct way , because a person is not at their doorstep fending off an enemy, they are indeed fighting,bleeding, and in some cases giving all of themselves to keep those that would take those freedoms from you from doing so. Most Americans are not aware of the simple things the Military does, the Navy sailor who has spent 20 years , year after year away from his or her family deployed on a ballistic missile submarine or the spec-ops operator that has died in the desert defending his friends in order to capture someone who has killed 100's of Americans. They are there, and I understand you are entitled to your opinion and am not trying to change it, but sometimes especially these days it's hard to seperate the reasons why they are there from the basic reasons why it is they do what they do.

4. mdjgirl7

mdjgirl7 Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +59
    :clap2:

5. Sunni Man

Sunni Man Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,444
    I agree. This young man died for absolutely nothing.

Very sad..........................

6. Navy1960

Navy1960 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,189
    Had I a dozen sons, each in my love alike, I had rather have eleven die nobly for their country, than one voluptuously surfeit out of action.
    - William Shakespeare

*Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.*

You must be joking? died for nothing? you say that why? because you disagree for the reasons why they are there? A soldier follows orders and goes into harms way where his or her CIC orders them too. As I said to edit you are of course entitled to your opinion, but when you say a thing like that take into consideration your not making a judgement on the CIC that sent them there but the soldier themselves. Each and everyone one of these kids who did not come home died defending something they believed in, no MATTER how they met that end. the fact remains people in this country stand on the shoulders of the untold millions of Americans that have paid with their lives for the privledges that we enjoy. Some never got the chance to return home, some are in fields ,and deserts and deep in the ocean. but still they went. I am putting a picture of one such person here, he is a Navy Seal who received the Medal of Honor. These are the people that go and defend the rights you enjoy even if you don't realize it.

[​IMG]

Thats Lt. Michael Murphy and he is among the many that have died defending yours and my freedom and deserves the respect he and others have earned. When you say he and others died for nothing, you disrespect his memory and that of others just like him. While your entitled to your opinion, sometimes you need to take a moment and try and understand exactly who your opinion is directed at.

7. Sunni Man

Sunni Man Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,444
    Any person who joins the service is a warrior. Sometimes the warriors get killed doing their duty. But that was their sworn oath and duty and are to be admired for their sacrifice.

That being said, the war in Iraq has "nothing" to do with any freedoms in America.

It is a senseless war being fought for economic averice and an extreme political agenda.

All Americans should be ashamed that we have wasted thousands of soilders lives following a sadistic and bankrupt political agenda.

History will record that these poor souls died for nothing in a totally useless war.

8. Navy1960

Navy1960 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,189
    Do you know what we in the Military swear an oath to do? Your making a value judgement on the reasons for the War in Iraq and then projecting that judgement on the very same people who fight and die doing it. Everyone in the Military took the same oath, I took, guess what? it's not an oath to defend you presonally, it's an oath to defend the constitution. You do know what the constitution does don't you? So when the American Military are deployed regradless of what you may think, they are carrying out that oath. I am always amazed at people who don't realize the sacrifice the military makes for them and then projects their political views on the hard working men and women in the military. As for your last statement, I would suggest you go to "The Wall" and yell out as loud as you can in Washington D.C. that all those 50,000 plus names on there died for nothing and see what kind of response you get. A lot of people like, you thought the same way when I was in the Navy, and can tell you this, your view is one that is based only on your poltical feelings towards the war and not the warfighters. So all you do is continue to project those feelings onto the warfighter. It's been done before but as the years go bye, you woo will come to realize that the young men and women that have given so much, for you and I gave it so even you can believe that they died for nothing.

9. busara

busara wanasiasa wapumbava

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +87
    what in the constitution is being protected by us being in iraq?

10. Silence

Silence wanna lick?

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +457
    I do think the sacrafices made by these soldiers are amazing. I wouldn't be able to do it. I think they go in with the best intentions and they DO go in fighting for the safety and freedom of Americans and the world.

Their mission, unfortunately, has been clouded by an administration that built that mission on lies and that has colored the view many have of this war.

I don't think it should color the view people have of those soldiers who serve honorably though.