Ryan stretches the truth in speech

Jarhead -

Ryan lied by not pointing out that the plant closed before Obama took office. How the hell was Obama supposed to stop it closing if he wasn't in office?

What next?

Are you going to blame Truman for dropping the nuke on Japan?

The plant closed in July '09, tard.

Why hasn't the Obama admin supported them by now? Because it was already too late? ahahahahaahah. Keep on lying.

You haven't actually thought this one through very well, have you?

GM is alive and doing well, thanks in part to the policies of the Obama administration.

The plant in question was closed, but I think most people would rather have had some plants remain open then none of them.

Jarhead -

Ryan lied by not pointing out that the plant closed before Obama took office. How the hell was Obama supposed to stop it closing if he wasn't in office?

What next?

Snippy like to lie in the same manner that Ryan does. But then, Ryan believes in the Randian philosophy, so nothing he does or says counts against him as long as he succeeds. The Ubbermenschen are allowed to be amoral, as long as they are successful.

CNN Fact Check: Did Ryan get Obama's GM speech right? - CNN.com

The Detroit News pointed out that Obama made no such promise in the February 13, 2008, speech, and indeed, we've seen no account suggesting that Obama did. Here is the quote at issue, according to an account kept by the Council on Foreign Relations:

"I know that General Motors received some bad news yesterday, and I know how hard your governor has fought to keep jobs in this plant. But I also know how much progress you've made -- how many hybrids and fuel-efficient vehicles you're churning out," Obama said. "And I believe that if our government is there to support you, and give you the assistance you need to re-tool and make this transition, that this plant will be here for another hundred years."

By "bad news," Obama apparently was referring to GM's February 12, 2008, announcement that it had a $38.7 billion adjusted net loss for 2007.

So, back on August 16 of this year, it does appear Ryan was wrong for saying Obama promised to keep it open.

The News and the Gazette went further, reporting that the plant halted production in December 2008, and saying that Ryan essentially was criticizing Obama for failing to save a plant that closed before Obama took office.

However, while December 2008 saw the end of the vast majority of the plant's work, the Gazette itself has reported that the plant didn't close fully until April 2009. Here's a timeline:

RYAN: Said Obama misled people in Ryan's hometown of Janesville, Wis., by making them think a General Motors plant there threatened with closure could be saved. "A lot of guys I went to high school with worked at that GM plant. Right there at that plant, candidate Obama said: 'I believe that if our government is there to support you ... this plant will be here for another hundred years.' That's what he said in 2008. Well, as it turned out, that plant didn't last another year."

THE FACTS: The plant halted production in December 2008, weeks before Obama took office and well before he enacted a more robust auto industry bailout that rescued GM and Chrysler and allowed the majority of their plants — though not the Janesville facility — to stay in operation. Ryan himself voted for an auto bailout under President George W. Bush that was designed to help GM, but he was a vocal critic of the one pushed through by Obama that has been widely credited with revitalizing both GM and Chrysler.

FACT CHECK: Ryan takes factual shortcuts in speech - Yahoo! News

exactly where is the lie? The plant closed down well before 100 years AND the government was there to support them...

Seems to me Obama was trhe one who was misleading when he told them that government support will keep the plant open for 100 years.

LOL, you're better than this. No?

Jarhead -

What next?

Nowhere did he say that Obama was responsible for the closing of the plant.

If you listened to his speech and the speech of many at the convention, their criticism is not necessarily of Obama himself...but of the idea that Government can cure all and therfore should intervene in all.

Now...Obama told those folks back in 2008 that with government intervention, the plant will stay open for 100 years. In essence, he was campaigning on the platform of "large government"

Well....government intervened and the plant closed anyway.

Ryan did not blame Obama....he pointed out that the ideology is INCORRECT.

How exactly did government intervene before the plant closed down?

Jarhead -

What next?

Snippy like to lie in the same manner that Ryan does. But then, Ryan believes in the Randian philosophy, so nothing he does or says counts against him as long as he succeeds. The Ubbermenschen are allowed to be amoral, as long as they are successful.

The Detroit News pointed out that Obama made no such promise in the February 13, 2008, speech, and indeed, we've seen no account suggesting that Obama did. Here is the quote at issue, according to an account kept by the Council on Foreign Relations:

"I know that General Motors received some bad news yesterday, and I know how hard your governor has fought to keep jobs in this plant. But I also know how much progress you've made -- how many hybrids and fuel-efficient vehicles you're churning out," Obama said. "And I believe that if our government is there to support you, and give you the assistance you need to re-tool and make this transition, that this plant will be here for another hundred years."

By "bad news," Obama apparently was referring to GM's February 12, 2008, announcement that it had a $38.7 billion adjusted net loss for 2007.

So, back on August 16 of this year, it does appear Ryan was wrong for saying Obama promised to keep it open.

The News and the Gazette went further, reporting that the plant halted production in December 2008, and saying that Ryan essentially was criticizing Obama for failing to save a plant that closed before Obama took office.

However, while December 2008 saw the end of the vast majority of the plant's work, the Gazette itself has reported that the plant didn't close fully until April 2009. Here's a timeline:

The plant closed in July '09, tard. Obama didn't retool and save it for 100 years as he promised those workers.

The plant closed in July '09, tard. Obama didn't retool and save it for 100 years as he promised those workers.

Shouldn't you be out not working at your non-existent job?

Oh thats right, you "made more than me this morning than I do all month". Right?

Doing what? You don't know....:eusa_shhh:

So despite the fact that the plant was still open in 2009, you guys are claiming it closed in 2008?

Don't believe me? Check out the Milwalkee sentinel article about the plants closing. The article is from last year, so it's not influenced at all by this political campaign or the statements that either Ryan or Obama

GM Janesville plant still on standby - JSOnline

Two relevant quotes:

Since they were shut down in 2009, both the Janesville and Tennessee plants have been on standby status, meaning they were not producing vehicles, but they were not completely shut down.

And here:

The Janesville plant stopped production of SUVs in 2008 and was idled in 2009 after it completed production of medium-duty trucks.

So the plant was still producing trucks in 2009. I've heard as late as June.

President Obama was sworn in as President on Jan 20, 2009. So are you guys seriously going to try to claim that Bush was President when this happened?

This also happened after GM recieved the bailouts and the govenrment essentially had control over GM.

So it looks like Paul Ryan was telling the truth. Unless you believe that an article from the Milwalkee Sentinal from late 2011 is a right wing source that somehow kne wthat Paul Ryan was going to be the Republican VP nominee and wanted to ensure that they had some proof to support his lies about Obama.

Are any of you going to admit that Ryan told the truth, or are you going to just pretend as if this post doesnt exist, and continue to support the administrations lies on the matter?

So despite the fact that the plant was still open in 2009, you guys are claiming it closed in 2008?

Don't believe me? Check out the Milwalkee sentinel article about the plants closing. The article is from last year, so it's not influenced at all by this political campaign or the statements that either Ryan or Obama

Two relevant quotes:

Since they were shut down in 2009, both the Janesville and Tennessee plants have been on standby status, meaning they were not producing vehicles, but they were not completely shut down.

And here:

The Janesville plant stopped production of SUVs in 2008 and was idled in 2009 after it completed production of medium-duty trucks.

President Obama was sworn in as President on Jan 20, 2009. So are you guys seriously going to try to claim that Bush was President when this happened?

This also happened after GM recieved the bailouts and the govenrment essentially had control over GM.

So it looks like Paul Ryan was telling the truth. Unless you believe that an article from the Milwalkee Sentinal from late 2011 is a right wing source that somehow kne wthat Paul Ryan was going to be the Republican VP nominee and wanted to ensure that they had some proof to support his lies about Obama.

Are any of you going to admit that Ryan told the truth, or are you going to just pretend as if this post doesnt exist, and continue to support the administrations lies on the matter?

LOL. Just LOL. Your home schooling has obviously held you back.

Jarhead -

What next?

If you listened to his speech and the speech of many at the convention, their criticism is not necessarily of Obama himself...but of the idea that Government can cure all and therfore should intervene in all.

Now...Obama told those folks back in 2008 that with government intervention, the plant will stay open for 100 years. In essence, he was campaigning on the platform of "large government"

Are you seriously unaware of the GM bailout where the government handed them tax payer money only to have them declare bankrupcy months later?

I could have sworn Obama had been talking about bailing out GM as one of his accomplishments.

Two relevant quotes:

And here:

So you dont think July of 2009 is after Obama became President?

Are you seriously unaware of the GM bailout where the government handed them tax payer money only to have them declare bankrupcy months later?

I could have sworn Obama had been talking about bailing out GM as one of his accomplishments.

Are you seriously unaware that bailout came after this plant made the decision to shut down?

I could have sworn that time was linear and that common sense was well....common. Guess not.

Two relevant quotes:

And here:

So you dont think July of 2009 is after Obama became President?

So you don't see a difference between the date that the doors physically closed and the date that the decision was made to shut the business down?

And, this is the second time they've pulled this same lie.

Remember mittens standing in front of the gypsum plant?

Romney campaign gaffe reeks of desperation | TheBlaze.com

How many times are they gonna use this same lie? And, how many times will ignorant rw's like snipey fall for it?

It is a mistatement when a repub does something like this, but a lie if anyone else does it. The term Flaming Hyocrite comes to mine for Mister Ryan.

Forum List

Back