Russia claims US sent weapons to Georgia

Discussion in 'General Global Topics' started by JimH52, Sep 1, 2008.

1. JimH52

JimH52 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,148
  2. steeliniraq

steeliniraq Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +32
    No doubt my friend. The best part about this is many people in the U.S. think Georgia started this war, lol. Listen to what the heads of Russia AKA USSR said. They have zero intent of leaving and will not stop until Georgia is theirs again! Mark my words.

3. JimH52

JimH52 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,148
    Europe is so afraid that Russia will cut off their energy supplies, that might allow that to happen. bush needs to look Putin in his eyes again and tell us what he sees now.

He is returning to his old KGB ways.

4. Jeepers

Jeepers Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Huh.. everyone knows we've been giving military aid to Georgia... Hell there were images of the russians towing away american humvees... the marines asked for them back btw...

5. editec

editec Mr. Forgot-it-All

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,617
    Or to put it more accurately, it is acting just the way it acted when it was Czarist Russia AND Communist Russia.

Doesn't matter what kind of government is in place, any form of government, operating under any type of economy, can be imperialistic.

6. Gungnir

Gungnir Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +26
    You know, I don't ever recall a vote being held to see if we should ally with freaking Georgia. You know we have the Monroe Doctrine with Roosevelt Corollary; why expect Russia to do any less with the areas around them?

7. JimH52

JimH52 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,148
    I guess with bush and Darth Vader in the House, you never can tell who they might invade next. But Putin is eyeing the revitalization of the old USSR. If Georgia is easily taken back, then on to the next victim! Europe will do nothing for fear of Russian reprisal.

8. Gungnir

Gungnir Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Russian pop culture may be invoking Soviet Era symbology but this is only because it is percieved of as a time of greatness. Currently they are headed towards a Spanish or Italian model of Fascism in my lofty estimation. I'm not sure exactly what the power relationship is between Putin and Medyedev but I am confident that Russia is going to be an oligarchy. Dictatorship shouldn't be discounted though.

After Yeltsin took over an oligarchy of business interest developed, Putin has done much in restructuring this to his ends according to what I've read. I find the Karate, Fishing, and Tiger Hunting episodes disturbing though.

9. Odd1_Out

Odd1_Out Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Why not? The rest of the world just ignored it when we invaded Iraq.

It isn't the United States job to police the world. This conflict between Georgia and Russia is primarily a territorial despute, and that makes it none of our business. Also, doing something that could potentially start a war with Russia... pretty much the dumbest thing the United States could do right now.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  10. mightypeon

mightypeon Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +83
    Precisly, and it was the Georgians who started to shell cities.

If my 89 pound friend picks a fight with an 800 pounder, relying on me bailing him out, I would think that some education of that friend is in order.