Rush Limbaugh on Donovan McNabb

jimnyc

Aug 28, 2003
New York
Could have been posted in the sports section, but I think this is more related to todays society and will get more attention in this section. :p

"I think what we've had here is a little social concern in the NFL. The media has been very desirous that a black quarterback do well," Limbaugh said. "There is a little hope invested in McNabb, and he got a lot of credit for the performance of this team that he didn't deserve. The defense carried this team."

I happen to agree with Limbaugh. I think Donovan is a better than average QB, but you are beginning to see just how good he is when his supporting cast isn't what it used to be. He's a classy guy, but I don't believe Rush's comments were racially motivated. These are unfortunately just the facts of life these days. He wouldn't have gotten nearly the amount of attention he has had he been a white QB.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=1627991

In fact, I just don't think his stats have been overly impressive throughout his career. Rather average if you ask me, but people will speak of him as if he is the second coming of God.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/4650/career

Rush just resigned over these comments. Of course, he "resigned" after Al Sharpton called ESPN and threatened a boycott.

And don't forget those 2 democratic pricks called for his job as well, Wesley Clark and Howard Dean.

Leave it to Al Sharpton to run in AGAIN! They should send Al over to Iraq!!! the man truly makes me SICK!

It is a sad commentary when a person can't use the word black without losing their job. Funny how nobody cares that people like Jessie Jackson can threaten any company he wants with a black demonstration to shut them down if they don't hire who he wants. Which is worse?

Yeah..I posted mine inthe Sports forum. I dont see the racial motivation there either.

Ah, whatever, I'm on Rush's side, only because I believe in pretty much entirely free speech. You should be able to say whatever you want within reason. I think so, anyway.

Originally posted by Dan
Ah, whatever, I'm on Rush's side, only because I believe in pretty much entirely free speech. You should be able to say whatever you want within reason. I think so, anyway.

I agree 5000%, Dan!

I wonder if the great Affirmative Action is involved here as well. Should it have been that Rush was black and made a comment about that WHITE person, do you really think this would be happening??? don't even get me going on this subject.

Well, just to go ahead and get everyone against me again, I should note that I am not a fan of Rush's at all. I've heard his show many many times over the years (my Grandfather was a fan, and my Dad is now), and it all seems like he's a really paranoid guy who is very very quick to blame everything on the liberals. Not that it's wrong to think they're at fault for SOME things, but literally everything he talks about somehow comes down to the liberals being evil. I learn nothing from his show, and it's not entertaining, and he's a bit of a blowhard.

On a more personal note, I heard him the day after Kurt Cobain killed himself bashing him mercilessly, playing his music and saying stuff like "this man was not a hero, this man was a drug-addled waste of life", or something to that extent. In case that weren't enough, pretty much everyone in my household got behind him 100% and pretty much tried to make me feel like crap for being a fan of Nirvana. Now, it appears that Rush might have a little Oxycontin problem. I hate to kick someone when he's down, but I don't feel any sympathy for him at all, especially after he so thoroughly trashed Cobain for his drug addiction.

hahahaha! good pic biker! I see the jokes and pics are already starting!

Originally posted by Dan
Well, just to go ahead and get everyone against me again, I should note that I am not a fan of Rush's at all. I've heard his show many many times over the years (my Grandfather was a fan, and my Dad is now), and it all seems like he's a really paranoid guy who is very very quick to blame everything on the liberals. Not that it's wrong to think they're at fault for SOME things, but literally everything he talks about somehow comes down to the liberals being evil. I learn nothing from his show, and it's not entertaining, and he's a bit of a blowhard.

On a more personal note, I heard him the day after Kurt Cobain killed himself bashing him mercilessly, playing his music and saying stuff like "this man was not a hero, this man was a drug-addled waste of life", or something to that extent. In case that weren't enough, pretty much everyone in my household got behind him 100% and pretty much tried to make me feel like crap for being a fan of Nirvana. Now, it appears that Rush might have a little Oxycontin problem. I hate to kick someone when he's down, but I don't feel any sympathy for him at all, especially after he so thoroughly trashed Cobain for his drug addiction.

I originally had no planned on replying to this, but I will now.

Rush was dead on with his comments about this waste of life. When you assume the position of "rock star" you now have a bit of responsibility. Children throughout the world look up to these guys and idolize them. To openly flaunt the fact that you are a druggie is extremely irresponsible. It came back and bit him in the ass. I say good riddance. Haven't missed him or the music that never did a damn thing for me.

Now if you remember too, there was the one kid in Edison, that killed himself over this! the music was the blame! the parents tried to fight it, but nothing gave, instead a dead son! I hate most of today's music, bunch of GARBAGE!!!!

Oh, well, difference of opinions and generations, I guess.

But, he "flaunted his drug addiction"? Nobody even knew about his drug addiction (I mean, not people that didn't know him) until a few months before his suicide, when he OD'ed. Obviously, you could assume he was, but then again, you can assume that about pretty much every rock star since John Lennon.

And, look at the bands from your day. Who flaunted their love of drugs and alcohol more than Motley Crue?

And I don't want this to be an attack on you, I've said this to many people before, but I'm not sure why people flip out so much over people thinking of Kurt Cobain as a hero. Elvis was a racist who basically ate and popped pills til his heart exploded. JFK was one of the most notorious womanizers of his day. Jimi Hendrix, Jimmy Page, Janis Joplin, all these people were huge into drugs. Yet they were all looked up to, just like Cobain was.

Anyway, I'm not offended by what Limbaugh said (anymore), all I'm saying is, I'm not going to feel bad for him if he rots in a jail cell for the next thirty years. It's one thing to critique somebody or their music or something like that, it's another to viciously attack them as a person. I mean, most people here have kids, so what would happen if God forbid something happened to you, how would you like it if your kids heard your neighbors or somebody talking about what a piece of crap you were the day after you died?

You know Jim hit it right on the head when he said "To openly flaunt the fact that you are a druggie is extremely irresponsible". Do what you want in private, but when you bring it into the public arena you deserve whatever you get. As far as a hero goes, please do not make me sick. Anyone who would consider Cobain a hero is as big a loser as he was.

"Look I'm making millions of dollars doing what I love, and I'm not happy with my life, boo hoo"

Give me a break! Grow up and join the rest of us. Life is hard, get used to it. Feel bad for this guy, no way!

I do not think we lost a cancer cure folks !

Originally posted by jimnyc
I originally had no planned on replying to this, but I will now.

Rush was dead on with his comments about this waste of life. When you assume the position of "rock star" you now have a bit of responsibility. Children throughout the world look up to these guys and idolize them. To openly flaunt the fact that you are a druggie is extremely irresponsible. It came back and bit him in the ass. I say good riddance. Haven't missed him or the music that never did a damn thing for me.

Is it not obvious that you could make exactly the same commentary now about Rush? Speaking of "waste of life"... what a hater. And I don't remember Cobain "flaunting" his habit. He made several attempts to kick it. Obviously, he was a psychological wreck, not fit for this world, and not much of a role model, but the world chose him because of his music, and to this day, I consider Nevermind one of the most significant contributions to pop music in the nineties (say what you will...). I don't think "stars" have any more responsibility to "live clean" than any of the rest of us. Some of us succumb, and others don't. Just a fact of life. How many of the great people in the world had less attractive characteristics that made them in restospect seem less than perfect? How many of us are perfect? Cobain received the ire of Rush and now of you, jimnyc, more because he was a representative of a counter culture, not for his drug addiction. Just out of curiosity, how do you feel about John Lennon?

I don't necessarily think Rush should have resigned either, but his commentary was not appropriate. Making race an issue is not a football comentators job, which leads me to believe ESPN should never have hired him in the first place. I mean, what did they expect from this guy? Football comentary? "McNabb is overrated" would have more than sufficed. In any case, the worst one can say about McNabb is that he's above average. He's no miracle worker. In making a commentary like that, Rush says more about himself than about McNabb. Concerning his commentaries about Cobain, Rush reveals that he is a hypocrite (if it turns out that his prescription addiction is more than just a rumor...), and that should cost him the respect of all of you.

I don't see how saying the word Black makes you racist, I use Black now and then and I am far from being racist. I have friends that are black and we joke about the colors. She called me a cracker, does that mean she is racist? no!!! had I called her a ******, that would have been different, but I didn't. I also believe that Cobain whether an addict or not, his music, yes, fans loved, with so others, but it's promoting SEX, DRUGS AND KILLING! I don't recalll any music out of John Lennon promoting Death, maybe I am wrong, but just don't remember. Someone also brought up Elvis, where in his MUSIC has he promoted SEX AND DRUGS or even thrive on Killing??? he might have had problems on pills, but this all brought out later on. Just the same as Rush, bring out so-called pills, why not have brought the issue up years ago? same goes for Arnold!! now all of sudden woman are coming forward claiming how he groped them and made sexual comments - amazing, comes out now, but how come they didn't come forward before this?

Forum List

Back