Rural internet

Luddly Neddite

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2011
Anyone have a problem with your ISP capping your data usage, charging to buy more data, slowing down your connection and generally slow connection all the time?

We're out in the middle of nowhere so our provider choices are limited. We've had Excede for quite a while now but that has meant all of the above plus losing our signal when it storms. For others who have this problem, we recently signed with BroadbandQ and so far, so good.

Pricey but worth it not to have all the hassles.

Edited to add - comparable cost. About $20 more than we were paying and, so far, much better service.

If that changes, I'll post about it but for now, we're happy.

:)

Last edited:
No problems with my service. DSL is the only game in town out this far Cabel is 1/2 mile away. I suppose I could look at HughesNet....

Anyone have a problem with your ISP capping your data usage, charging to buy more data, slowing down your connection and generally slow connection all the time?

We're out in the middle of nowhere so our provider choices are limited. We've had Excede for quite a while now but that has meant all of the above plus losing our signal when it storms. For others who have this problem, we recently signed with BroadbandQ and so far, so good.

Edited to add - comparable cost. About $20 more than we were paying and, so far, much better service.

so you pay more and getting a better product - service?

dear god, I had no idea that better things cost more!@!@!@!@!@!

on a less sarcastic note

A buddy of mine words for Verizon and he tells me that Ver wants to get away from copper (cable) lines, and to do that they are lowering service to the rural areas to install updates where the money is, in cities.

as with anything, the future will get to the burbs once it's history in the cities.

Satellite has been fairly slow for us but we didn't have other options.

Hughes is somewhat more expensive with slightly higher data allowance but still no where near what we're getting now.

Obama promised to fix that with the stimulus money.

Just another of his lies.

he got the votes :lol:

yea, he was going to make net providers run cable everywhere but most of them don't want to run wires anymore since the tech is older and slower than they want.

plus the cost to do so would have been absurd.

I struggled with this type of service when we lived in the country. This was several years ago so I don't remember the provider. I do remember it being expensive and yes they'd slow us down as a penalty for some reason. It was awful.

I pay ~ $70/month for ph and net

I asked; Why is it so high just for that?
Operator; Only $30 is for the service, the rest is taxes and fees

don't you just love the government? making it harder on all Americans

Roadrunner

Obama promised to fix rural internet with stimulus money???

Link please, including when congress voted on it.

Thanks.

:link:

Forum List

Back