Rural America becoming irrelevant?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Greenbeard, Dec 9, 2012.

1. Greenbeard

Greenbeard Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,323
    Back when the first presidential election was held in 1788, the United States was an overwhelming 95 percent rural. That number today is around 19 percent, with rural voters constituting an even smaller percentage of the electorate in the 2012 election than that.

This week you've got the Secretary of Agriculture warning that rural areas are becoming less relevant, pointing to the failure of Congress to pass a farm bill as evidence of rural America's waning political power.

It's an interesting trend to think about, given how rural areas shaped American politics for so long. From Jefferson's yeoman farmer to Lincoln and the GOP's Homestead Act (even as industrialization was winning the war for them) to Bryan's prairie populism. Even after the country became majority urban in the early 20th century, rural America continued to be politically important--think of the importance of farmers to the New Deal coalition.

But rural American has continued to shrink. And now we've even got a genuine "urban" President (wink, wink). Times change.

2. BreezeWood

BreezeWood VIP Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +475
    Rural America becoming irrelevant?

oddly the Red states they are mostly represented in are Republican and should have fared well with the 10 year Census Redistricting -

somehow the Farmer was left out of the Republican(ism) Party.

3. KissMy

KissMy Free Breast Exam

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,923
    The main reason that farm bill does not pass is because farmers do not want the crop insurance subsidy. They either want direct payments or no subsidy at all like we have had for the past 4 years. We have not had any subsidities in the past 5 years & do not need subsidy because China is keeping grain prices high enough to pay the bills. Farmers are proud & hate subsidies unless they are necessary. They prefer to hold their head up rather than be greedy & bow down to subsidies. Just go out to a rural area & ask them.

Also less labor is needed & small farms have grown into huge operations. My 1,000 acres is now considered a small farm. There are a bunch of survivalist who have moved to the rural areas. They think they are off the grid & can survive an apocalypse. The stupid fools are more on the grid out there than they were in the city. They now drive long distances on their daily commutes & running to the store. Plus Rural natural gas, water, electricity, internet, gasoline & diesel is all more expensive out there. Gravel roads destroy tires & automobiles. I laugh my ass off every time I see those retards. Hell even I live in the city. I only stay out on the farm for 2 weeks to plant & 2 weeks to harvest. It's expensive to live in the country unless you want to hunt for food, garden, have no utilities & not drive to work or stores.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2012
  4. CrusaderFrank

CrusaderFrank Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +37,035
    [​IMG]

Boss Tweed knows why you're winking

5. 9thIDdoc

9thIDdoc Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,693
    In our culture buying power and political power are closely entertwined.
    I suspect that one day city slickers will wake up and find that bread is $50/loaf, water $20/gal., and that electricity has become affordable by only the wealthy.

Urbanites may need to be reminded that they are dependent on rual areas if they want to continue to eat and drink.

6. hazlnut

hazlnut Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,200
    You're clueless about supply and demand.

If no one buys your corn, you starve.

If you natural gas is cheaper than coal, then coal miners better learn a new trade, or go on welfare.

Get it?

If you don't give us what we want at the price we want to pay, we'll go elsewhere and you'll die.

7. KissMy

KissMy Free Breast Exam

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,923
    Subsidies initially drove down the production cost & the price of corn. Now those low prices drove farmers out of business in other countries causing foreign demand for US corn to increase. So the subsidy was no longer holding down the price of corn.

Ethanol has the same effect. It keeps prices stable & corn production up. The by-product of ethanol is better animal feed than the corn was. Animals gain weight 30% faster on 15% less feed on ethanol DDG feed. Livestock producers can no longer compete unless they feed DDG's. This also flooded China with more corn & DDG feed wiping out even more of their farmers thus increasing their demand for US food.

The weaker US dollar made this greater demand possible.

China Starts Probe of US Feed Dumping

Last edited: Dec 9, 2012
  8. 9thIDdoc

9thIDdoc Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,693
    "You're clueless about supply and demand."

I'd say the same about you. How how long do you think cities would survive without fresh supplies of food and water? A few days? A week maybe?

If no one buys your corn, you starve.

If no one buys my corn I won't starve because I can eat it myself and save all the trouble of sending it off to a bunch of ungreatful assholes. You can try planting corn on concrete and assphalt and see how that works for you

"If you natural gas is cheaper than coal, then coal miners better learn a new trade, or go on welfare.
    Get it?
    If you don't give us what we want at the price we want to pay, we'll go elsewhere and you'll die. "

What I "get" is that cities do not produce the food and water they have to have nor can they produce the raw materials required by their industries and powerplants. They are dependent on rural areas; not the other way around.

9. Dot Com

Dot Com Nullius in verba Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +16,301
    industrial farming has decimated the family farmers thus reducing their #'s/clout

10. CrusaderFrank

CrusaderFrank Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +37,035
    Yeah, big Democrat controlled cities major production is dependency and Obama voters; do they really need food, gas or oil?