Rude Bicyclists!

freeandfun1 said:
I remember about 10 years ago when I lived in Portland, OR I was driving my wife to work downtown. I was at a stop sign that had an obstructed view so I had to inch forward to see if anything was coming. A dude was riding his bike on the sidewalk and since I had pulled forward, he couldn't get by. He got so mad that he took a key or something and ran it down the side of my truck. When I got out to confront him, he claimed that I was "blocking his path" and he started getting really violent and threatening. Anyway, to make a long story short, a traffic cop happened to be nearby and when she saw that something was going on, she came over to investigate. Of course, the tree-hugger really thought he was right so he starts bitch'n about how I am blocking the sidewalk, etc. Well, she arrested him for vandalism and pointed out to him that in most states (and specifically in Oregon) bicyclists are required to follow the traffic laws. Therefore, 1) His riding on the sidewalk was illegal and 2) He didn't stop at the stop-sign which was illegal.

I had the last laugh. Not only did he have to pay for the repairs to my truck, he had to pay me $1,000 in compensatory damages and he had to serve 400 hours of community service. He also was banned for a year from riding his bike on city streets.

Glory Be! What a story! So there is hope? :)

This is one of my favorite topics. Tail gaters piss me off (sorry Shattered). There is no excuse for their conduct. They compromise the safety of both vehicles. If the lead vehicle has to brake suddenly, there is no way that someone following one or two car lengths behind can react in time to avoid a collision.

Red light runners really light my fire. I believe that every major intersection in the US should have cameras and anyone running the light should be forking over at least 100 bucks.

Police could also use monitors to ticket tail gaters. Cameras on an interstate could be calibrated to show proper following distance and someone weaving in and out of traffic and riding the bumpers of vehicles ahead could be fined and eventually have their license pulled.

I don't know if this is peculiar to the South, but a great many people here won't let you change lanes. I guess they think they're all reincarnations of Dale Earnhart. Down here, you had better NOT signal for a lane change, because if you do, the horse's ass behind you will speed up to cut you off.

Merlin1047 said:
This is one of my favorite topics. Tail gaters piss me off (sorry Shattered). There is no excuse for their conduct. They compromise the safety of both vehicles. If the lead vehicle has to brake suddenly, there is no way that someone following one or two car lengths behind can react in time to avoid a collision.

Red light runners really light my fire. I believe that every major intersection in the US should have cameras and anyone running the light should be forking over at least 100 bucks.

Police could also use monitors to ticket tail gaters. Cameras on an interstate could be calibrated to show proper following distance and someone weaving in and out of traffic and riding the bumpers of vehicles ahead could be fined and eventually have their license pulled.

I don't know if this is peculiar to the South, but a great many people here won't let you change lanes. I guess they think they're all reincarnations of Dale Earnhart. Down here, you had better NOT signal for a lane change, because if you do, the horse's ass behind you will speed up to cut you off.
Amen----thats when I want a tail-gunner aboard !!!

freeandfun1 said:
I remember about 10 years ago when I lived in Portland, OR I was driving my wife to work downtown. I was at a stop sign that had an obstructed view so I had to inch forward to see if anything was coming. A dude was riding his bike on the sidewalk and since I had pulled forward, he couldn't get by. He got so mad that he took a key or something and ran it down the side of my truck. When I got out to confront him, he claimed that I was "blocking his path" and he started getting really violent and threatening. Anyway, to make a long story short, a traffic cop happened to be nearby and when she saw that something was going on, she came over to investigate. Of course, the tree-hugger really thought he was right so he starts bitch'n about how I am blocking the sidewalk, etc. Well, she arrested him for vandalism and pointed out to him that in most states (and specifically in Oregon) bicyclists are required to follow the traffic laws. Therefore, 1) His riding on the sidewalk was illegal and 2) He didn't stop at the stop-sign which was illegal.

I had the last laugh. Not only did he have to pay for the repairs to my truck, he had to pay me $1,000 in compensatory damages and he had to serve 400 hours of community service. He also was banned for a year from riding his bike on city streets.

Excellent! :chains:

I don't drive, bikers cut me off all the time, everywhere. They're shits.

Merlin1047 said:

I can't stand tailgaters either, but I have to admit, I sometimes have to control myself or I want to tailgate slow ass drivers.

Don't ever visit Vegas or LA then. It seems that in both cities most drivers view red as meaning GO and Green as meaning.... just sit there on the phone or fix'n your hair.

I have no problem with traffic cameras, but then also ticket those that sit there causing the problems too. Here in Vegas one of the major problems is thta the turn-lights are VERY short. Therefore, if the lead car is slow in taking off, only one or two cars get through before the light changes. When there are 15 or 20 cars trying to make a turn, after a while, people just decide to stretch it as far as they can.

Collission avoidance was supposed to take care of this stuff. For many years in San Diego there was a stretch of highway where they were testing this. I am not sure if it is still in use or not, but for whatever reason, collission avoidance systems have not succeeded.

I think that happens just about everywhere! :bangheads

IMO, Bicyclists have always been arrogant bastards, I hate em.
I don't think they should be allowed on the roads either, they do nothing more than create a hazard.

My gripe isn't with bicyclists in general........it's those Lance Armstrong.....wanabees.....that get right in the vehicular traffic, and act rather arrogant. If you as a car driver fail to notice them and have a close-call, these bikers will give you the middle finger salute.......and I've even heard of more aggressive moves by them.

In the San Francisco, which is about 50 miles from my home in San Jose, they have nothing but problems with the bikers.......

Back a few years a bicycle group rode onto the Oakland/Bay bridge and stopped traffic to protest something.

Anyway......these rude bicyclists are just a reflection of an element in our society. Be they, car drivers, motor cyclists, or bicyclists........their attitude will still reveal itself in some selfish way. :baby:

when i worked in Hippieville (minneapolis) i used to get the ones that think just because they are on a bike, they don't have to obey traffic signs or rules...maybe we should require licensing to ride your bike on the street with vehicles that outweigh you and can move much faster

they would dart around, or go back and forth between lanes, no signal, or any indication of their intentions. for some reason, they REALLY liked to do this when i drove a truck, not a light one either, a 97 chevy 2500 diesel 4x4. it's almost as if they were TRYING to get hit to sue and get money.

freeandfun1 said:

the ultimate smack-down!

freeandfun1 said:

:thewave:

LOL. Awesome! It is nice when one of the arrogant bicycle riders get their due.

Shattered said:
If you get rearended by someone elderly, you're *really* screwing up. They drive at 20, no matter where they're at..

Paperwork, birthday card, same difference.. How can I tell? I shouldn't have to move to the middle lane from the left lane to pass. But you can bet that while I am moving, I'll be glancing over at you to let you know you're an idiot.

The same has held true for large cities, and small alike.. The only thing that changes is the posted speed limit.

If we want common courtesy in dealing with society, we need to extend some ourselves in our every day lives, and that involves following the basic rules of common sense while on the road.

So then your telling me when I am driving down the highway, the speed limit is 60, and I am doing 70, the asshole that comes up on my ass within inches, I should move out of the left lane to let him pass! I don't think so!

Trinity said:
So then your telling me when I am driving down the highway, the speed limit is 60, and I am doing 70, the asshole that comes up on my ass within inches, I should move out of the left lane to let him pass! I don't think so!

Why not move over? Move over, let em pass and then move back. Not sure about where you live, but in most states, the left lane is for passing only anyway.

freeandfun1 said:
Why not move over? Move over, let em pass and then move back. Not sure about where you live, but in most states, the left lane is for passing only anyway.

I'll go with that. Camping out in the passing lane is wrong and dangerous.

That said, though, my basic rule is "avoid the accident". It does me little good to have "He was in the right" engraved on my tombstone.

freeandfun1 said:

People like that just piss me off! They usually are not the type to give you the time to get over, they are in such a big hurry! The funny thing is most of the time with these people who are in such a big hurry, they go racing past and 2 minutes later I catch up with them sitting at the red light! gee you got there alot faster huh, bummer you had to sit at the light for 2 minutes while I got here just as it was turning green! :laugh:

Trinity said:
People like that just piss me off! They usually are not the type to give you the time to get over, they are in such a big hurry! The funny thing is most of the time with these people who are in such a big hurry, they go racing past and 2 minutes later I catch up with them sitting at the red light! gee you got there alot faster huh, bummer you had to sit at the light for 2 minutes while I got here just as it was turning green! :laugh:

I don't disagree with that point, but as MM pointed out, it ain't worth an accident.

Trinity said:

IMO, yes, 10mph over the speed limit is considered "standard"..(that's what I do..) Anyone that's doing MORE than that IS a hazard, and you want to get the hell out of their way, because someone like that has the potential to get pissed and PUSH you off the road.. It's not up to you to control their speed, or set the pace for the rest of the drivers... There are signs all over that say "slower moving traffic keep right"..

Besides, it makes for an amusing picture when you finally get caught up to them, and they're pulled over to the side of the road getting a $160 speeding ticket, a $100 reckless driving ticket, and a whole host of other shit.

Why would you *intentionally* piss someone off?

Shattered said:
IMO, yes, 10mph over the speed limit is considered "standard"..(that's what I do..) Anyone that's doing MORE than that IS a hazard, and you want to get the hell out of their way, because someone like that has the potential to get pissed and PUSH you off the road.. It's not up to you to control their speed, or set the pace for the rest of the drivers... There are signs all over that say "slower moving traffic keep right"..

Besides, it makes for an amusing picture when you finally get caught up to them, and they're pulled over to the side of the road getting a $160 speeding ticket, a $100 reckless driving ticket, and a whole host of other shit.

Why would you *intentionally* piss someone off?

That's the problem though most of the time they are in such a big hurry they won't give you the time to get out of the way! I couldn't tell you how many times I have tried to get over and at the same time they decide to gun it and go around me!

Trinity said:
That's the problem though most of the time they are in such a big hurry they won't give you the time to get out of the way! I couldn't tell you how many times I have tried to get over and at the same time they decide to gun it and go around me!

...you forgot "and don't bother to use their blinker..." Probably my *biggest* pet peeve. I use mine for *every* turn. Period.

Shattered said:
...you forgot "and don't bother to use their blinker..." Probably my *biggest* pet peeve. I use mine for *every* turn. Period.

That is one of my biggest pet peeve's!

I always use my turn signal!

I can't stand people who do not use a turn signal! That probably pisses me off more then the ass rider's!

I actually chased someone down that cut me off, and asked him if his car came equipped with one, and asked if he needed a crash course in using it..

(I was in a bad mood that day, and he happened to cut me off to get in to the same store I was going to.)

Forum List

Back