Ron Paul comes in from the fringe

You know there were a lot more states than Kentucky who went repub for candidates similar to Paul. And I'm not looking for a bloodbath, a win of any kind would do :D

And a lot of the hard right candidates are now doing poorly. Rubio has less than a 50% approval rating in FL last I checked.

Somewhere a little higher or a little lower than 50% is pretty normal, really. We're pretty much divided right down the middle as a society politically.

It takes significant events that unite people to bring approval numbers up higher than that. 9/11 was pretty much the last time both parties were united on ANYTHING.

Somewhere a little higher or a little lower than 50% is pretty normal, really. We're pretty much divided right down the middle as a society politically.

It takes significant events that unite people to bring approval numbers up higher than that. 9/11 was pretty much the last time both parties were united on ANYTHING.

This is true.

Personally, I don't see Ron Paul winning the nomination for the GOP. And if he somehow does, he'll have to sacrifice some of his principles along with making one of the other GOP candidates his VP.

Considering his age, the VP choice is going to be very important. And it's probably going to be someone terrible.

Ron Paul's beliefs have certainly become more mainstream than they were in 2008. Still, I don't think he has a path to the nomination, much less to the White House.

One thing that puzzles me is the people who like Paul and Obama. As an Obama supporter, I don't really get Paul's appeal. When I first heard about Paul, a friend was trying to get me to support him by emphasizing his consistent ideology. While he does have a very consistent ideology for a politician, it seems to be about as far from mine as one can get. Why would a Democrat like Paul, especially during a time period dominated by economic issues?

This is true.

Personally, I don't see Ron Paul winning the nomination for the GOP. And if he somehow does, he'll have to sacrifice some of his principles along with making one of the other GOP candidates his VP.

Considering his age, the VP choice is going to be very important. And it's probably going to be someone terrible.

Why would he have to sacrifice principles? He's never changed his message, why would he all the sudden start changing it, especially after cracking the GOP nomination???

And why would he have to choose from one of the other candidates? There's only 10 other people to choose a VP from?

Ron Paul's beliefs have certainly become more mainstream than they were in 2008. Still, I don't think he has a path to the nomination, much less to the White House.

One thing that puzzles me is the people who like Paul and Obama. As an Obama supporter, I don't really get Paul's appeal. When I first heard about Paul, a friend was trying to get me to support him by emphasizing his consistent ideology. While he does have a very consistent ideology for a politician, it seems to be about as far from mine as one can get. Why would a Democrat like Paul, especially during a time period dominated by economic issues?

A far left democrat wouldn't, but that's of no concern because the moderate democrats who lean farther right than Obama would.

Yeah your right, the appeal of someone who is a strict Constitutionalists is just nutty in America. Did you even read your own post?

This is true.

Well Gary Johnson wouldn't be terrible, and that's the only candidate running for President that I could see Ron Paul asking to be his running mate. If not Johnson then I don't know who it would be, but I can't see Ron Paul picking any of the others.

A far left democrat wouldn't, but that's of no concern because the moderate democrats who lean farther right than Obama would.

I assume you're referring to Southern Democrats who would otherwise vote Republican.

Why would a Democrat like Paul, especially during a time period dominated by economic issues?

I think it's because many Democrats still believe in freedom and individual rights. Also, I think that many Democrats, especially progressives, are seeing that mainstream Democrats are just as corporatist as their Republican counterparts. Ron Paul isn't.

Well Gary Johnson wouldn't be terrible, and that's the only candidate running for President that I could see Ron Paul asking to be his running mate. If not Johnson then I don't know who it would be, but I can't see Ron Paul picking any of the others.

:lol: He's not going to make Gary Johnson his running mate. It's going to be a social conservative to give the base a reassurance.

Well it says under your name that you're a progressive so I might assume, always dangerous but I'll do it nonetheless and allow you to correct me if I'm wrong, that you're probably against all these wars we're engaged in right now. If so you have to admit that Obama is certainly a militarist whereas Ron Paul would end all of the wars first thing. So can you vote for a candidate who you know will end the wars, end the torture, and put an end to Guantanamo Bay even if you don't necessarily agree with him on the economic issues?

If you are against all of those things, and like I said I'm just assuming that you are, this article may be of interest to you. It was written by a progressive.

Robin Koerner: If You Love Peace, Become a "Blue Republican" (Just for a Year)

Why would he have to sacrifice principles? He's never changed his message, why would he all the sudden start changing it, especially after cracking the GOP nomination???

And why would he have to choose from one of the other candidates? There's only 10 other people to choose a VP from?

Because he's not going to win the GOP nomination without stepping away a little bit or making compromises. Like with his support of the 10% flat income tax.

Furthermore, who could you see him picking for the GOP nomination for VP?

Yeah your right, the appeal of someone who is a strict Constitutionalists is just nutty in America. Did you even read your own post?

Your confrontational approach isn't really doing Ron Paul or the rest of us who support him any favors. She seems like somebody open to hearing our ideas and genuinely curious at the least, so there's no need for antagonism.

:lol: He's not going to make Gary Johnson his running mate. It's going to be a social conservative to give the base a reassurance.

Ron Paul has a 30 year career of bucking the system, why is he all of a sudden going to start playing the game their way? He may not choose Gary Johnson, but I doubt he chooses somebody simply to reassure the base. Besides, Barack Obama as President should be enough to shore up the Republican base.

Because he's not going to win the GOP nomination without stepping away a little bit or making compromises. Like with his support of the 10% flat income tax.

As I've already explained Ron Paul's position hasn't changed at all. He's always said that he would prefer a flat tax to the income tax, assuming of course that it reduces taxes, but that his ultimate goal is to simply do away with the income tax and replace it with nothing.

The only compromise he would need to make to win the GOP nomination would be on foreign policy. That's where republicans who like him but wouldn't vote for him part ways with him.

As far as VP, I don't know. Johnson like Kevin said, Walter Williams maybe.

Ron Paul has a 30 year career of bucking the system, why is he all of a sudden going to start playing the game their way? He may not choose Gary Johnson, but I doubt he chooses somebody simply to reassure the base. Besides, Barack Obama as President should be enough to shore up the Republican base.

Kevin, he's going to pick someone who is going to appeal to more voters. Thinking he is going to pick Gary Johnson as of right now is a Libertarian fantasy, especially since the vast majority of America doesn't even know who he is.

As I've already explained Ron Paul's position hasn't changed at all. He's always said that he would prefer a flat tax to the income tax, assuming of course that it reduces taxes, but that his ultimate goal is to simply do away with the income tax and replace it with nothing.

Except he has always wanted to see the government funded through excise taxes and tariffs. The flat tax is something new as far as I know.

Kevin, he's going to pick someone who is going to appeal to more voters. Thinking he is going to pick Gary Johnson as of right now is a Libertarian fantasy, especially since the vast majority of America doesn't even know who he is.

Once you're the nominee, America has no choice but to get to know who you pick. Who the hell was Sarah Palin?

Except he has always wanted to see the government funded through excise taxes and tariffs. The flat tax is something new as far as I know.

His compromise would be allow citizens to opt out of excess federal programs and pay a 10% tax and nothing more, and whoever would prefer to keep the government programs would simply stay with their regular income tax structure.

Forum List

Back