Ron Paul comes in from the fringe

Forget 'liberals' for this argument. Just focus on moderate democrats disappointed with Obama, independents, etc.

He's got the best shot of getting that vote for a few reasons...he's the only one tough on the Fed, and people have been waking up to the problems with the fed. His social policy best fits with moderates because he'd leave the Federal government out of issues like abortion and gay marriage. Moderates who'd like someone less fiscally liberal but more socially liberal would vote for Paul over Obama any day of the week.

The rest of the GOP field is basically the same old thing we've seen for over 10 years.

Independents for the most part lean to the left.....I don't think they will go hard right, IMO. This is the group that will elect the next president.
Base of each party are basically the same old thing over the last 10 years....not just the GOP.

I think you and I are just going to disagree on this, Kevin. When it comes to the voting box...each party wants their party to win. It's the independents that will decide.
Did you miss the 2010 midterms? Independents went right.

Yes they did go right and no, I didn't miss that election. I'm saying that I don't think they will go "hard right".

Well let's be realistic. None of us can really understand what goes on in daily intel briefings, the situation room, etc. I really don't think it would be very easy to just close down 150 bases like that.

Which is why I find it interesting that Ron Paul said as soon as he steps into office, he's going to end the wars immediately. What if those same intel reports from military reports talk about how we cannot withdraw from Afghanistan quite yet?

I'm sure that's exactly what those reports say, and I have no doubt Ron Paul thinks the exact same thing. The point is that he disagrees.

The other thing people seem to not entirely realize about his social policy (which will never get through Congress anyway) is that he's not about to legalize everything through the federal government. It's all going to be left up to the state governments, which is where Ron Paul (along with Gary Johnson) and I disagree.

The federal government isn't the only one that can be oppressive and take away civil liberties.

Nobody doubts that, but we also know that it's easier to change your state's laws than it is to change federal law.

Independents for the most part lean to the left.....I don't think they will go hard right, IMO. This is the group that will elect the next president.
Base of each party are basically the same old thing over the last 10 years....not just the GOP.

I think you and I are just going to disagree on this, Kevin. When it comes to the voting box...each party wants their party to win. It's the independents that will decide.

Yes they did go right and no, I didn't miss that election. I'm saying that I don't think they will go "hard right".

A lot of people are saying Ron Paul can run to Obama's "left" on the war issue and pick up many anti-war progressives.

A lot of people are saying Ron Paul can run to Obama's "left" on the war issue and pick up many anti-war progressives.

With both wars winding down, I don't think that will be a real issue with them a year from this coming Nov.

The other thing people seem to not entirely realize about his social policy (which will never get through Congress anyway) is that he's not about to legalize everything through the federal government. It's all going to be left up to the state governments, which is where Ron Paul (along with Gary Johnson) and I disagree.
The greatest threat is empowering the Federal government. That which you give it the power to regulate to legalize is the same sword by which they ban it. Paul is absolutely right. The Federal government needs to be out of drugs neither legalizing nor criminalizing them. Then we need to fight in the States to keep them legal.

The federal government isn't the only one that can be oppressive and take away civil liberties.

No, but they are the best at it. Which is why Paul has the right idea. When has the Federal government ever ensured freedom? They don't, they are the greatest threat. You are asking for the serpent to protect you, good luck with that.

With both wars winding down, I don't think that will be a real issue with them a year from this coming Nov.

Well we've got more than two wars going on, and I don't see any of them going anywhere.

A lot of the candidates who got elected in the midterms were hard right economically. Rubio, Rand Paul, to name a couple.

And a lot of moderates would compromise on those issues for Paul's foreign policy.

A lot of the candidates who got elected in the midterms were hard right economically. Rubio, Rand Paul, to name a couple.

And a lot of moderates would compromise on those issues for Paul's foreign policy.

I don't think Kentucky is exactly the best indication of how America is going to go. And he didn't exactly win the general election with astounding numbers.

I don't think Kentucky is exactly the best indication of how America is going to go. And he didn't exactly win the general election with astounding numbers.

You know there were a lot more states than Kentucky who went repub for candidates similar to Paul. And I'm not looking for a bloodbath, a win of any kind would do :D

No, but they are the best at it. Which is why Paul has the right idea. When has the Federal government ever ensured freedom? They don't, they are the greatest threat. You are asking for the serpent to protect you, good luck with that.

Incorrect and Paul is wrong – the greatest threat to civil liberties is by state and local jurisdictions. For example, two counties in Kentucky are working to violate the First Amendment while California’s Prop 8 was a violation of the 14th Amendment. Unfortunately there are further examples.

True. You're not likely to see gay marriage, for example, legalized in Texas. But not all of the states should be the same. That's the point of federalism.

Per the 14th Amendment all states must be the same with regard to their citizens’ Constitutional rights. One does not forfeit his rights simply due to his jurisdiction of residence. The 14th Amendment guarantees every American the right to equal access to all of a state’s laws – including marriage – regardless the opinion of that state’s majority.

In the Iowa Debate, Ron Paul came off as the teacher and the rest of the candidates came off as students.

What exactly was Paul ‘teaching,’ it certainly wasn’t the Constitution.

Incorrect and Paul is wrong – the greatest threat to civil liberties is by state and local jurisdictions. For example, two counties in Kentucky are working to violate the First Amendment while California’s Prop 8 was a violation of the 14th Amendment. Unfortunately there are further examples.

Which are dwarfed by the Federal government spending us into the ground with unconstitutional programs. Uncontitutional spending includes: Social security, medicare, medicaid, welfare, education, energy, TSA. The wars in the middle east which aren't for defense of the US. The war on drugs. And with States you have a choice to live there, with the Federal government their crimes damage us all. You have no sense of perspective. You're weeding the garden while your house is on fire.

The 14th Amendment guarantees every American the right to equal access to all of a state’s laws – including marriage – regardless the opinion of that state’s majority

OMG, you are an idiot. It says nothing of the sort.

You know there were a lot more states than Kentucky who went repub for candidates similar to Paul. And I'm not looking for a bloodbath, a win of any kind would do :D

And a lot of the hard right candidates are now doing poorly. Rubio has less than a 50% approval rating in FL last I checked.

The greatest threat is empowering the Federal government. That which you give it the power to regulate to legalize is the same sword by which they ban it. Paul is absolutely right. The Federal government needs to be out of drugs neither legalizing nor criminalizing them. Then we need to fight in the States to keep them legal.

What? If Paul was elected, even if the War on Drugs ended tomorrow, drugs would still be illegal in all 50 states. There is no fight to "keep them legal". The fight would be to get them to be legal.

Though let me ask you how you feel about Jim Crow Laws. Since you feel that the greatest threat is the Federal Government.

The fact that Ron Paul and his ideas are being discussed and debated all over America and on the internet, means he has already won.

Funny how Ron Paul was slammed as nut for years by the GOP and their media masters at fox, and now we see Newt Gingrich, Rick Perry, and others stating things Paul has said forever. The difference is that if Paul wins he will actually do what he says, and if they win they will cast aside these statements as they do trash.

Forum List

Back