Ron Paul comes in from the fringe

Generalizing is dangerous, but only when it's wrong. We saw the left come out with their various anti-war demonstrations during the Bush Administration, but they've been MIA since Obama took office. Like I said, not all of them are partisans, but there's been a dramatic shift since their guy took office and continued the same policies.

They haven't been MIA. You just have your nose stuck in the wrong places to get your information. Politically speaking, I think there has been less protest because everyone (right AND left) were so gung-ho on General Patreaus's war plan. After all, he was the hero who "fixed" Iraq, so he must be able to "fix" Afganistan too. (But was warned by many, MANY, top military and diplomatic experts that a similar take/secure "surge" approach wouldn't work with The Taliban, nor would offering cash to Taliban militants work either. In a nutshell, it isn't money they want; it's their country free of other nations telling them how to live at the point of a gun.

I doubt very seriously that the lack of antiwar protests has anything to do with General Petraeus. The fact is you're either against these wars or you're not. There was a large contingent of the left completely against these wars under Bush, and we haven't heard a peep out of them since Obama took office despite the wars continuing and expanding.

There you go generalizing again. Not a peep? Surely you jest. Remember "Code Pink"? The group whom neocons thought were just a bunch of nutty liberal women? Well they haven't stopped with Iraq. Guess they're not so liberal after all.

Code Pink: Get out of Afghanistan - USATODAY.com

And ~~

Dems, Liberal Group Push Obama to Pull Out of Afghanistan

And ~~

http://www.thenation.com/blog/158885/dnc-wants-out-afghanistan

[Corrected double posting of link]

Last edited:
Yup. Hey, thanks guys for being the only Americans, along with your families, who made any real sacrifice for your country. What? You want a job too in addition to a medal?

Well you're now demagoguing the issue.

How else to respond to such a vacant comment as "leave them alone"?? Some (many, actually, can't make it alone, nor can their families).

Well you could respond in such a way that isn't designed to play off people's emotions regarding the troops. Regardless, what do you want us to do? Pay them to do nothing? That's bad economics. Continue to pay them to be in danger overseas? Just as bad economics. It's a shame that the economy is so bad that if we brought the troops home they might have a hard time finding a job, but no more a shame than it is for anybody else, and the sooner we quit doing bad economics the sooner the recovery comes.

They haven't been MIA. You just have your nose stuck in the wrong places to get your information. Politically speaking, I think there has been less protest because everyone (right AND left) were so gung-ho on General Patreaus's war plan. After all, he was the hero who "fixed" Iraq, so he must be able to "fix" Afganistan too. (But was warned by many, MANY, top military and diplomatic experts that a similar take/secure "surge" approach wouldn't work with The Taliban, nor would offering cash to Taliban militants work either. In a nutshell, it isn't money they want; it's their country free of other nations telling them how to live at the point of a gun.

I doubt very seriously that the lack of antiwar protests has anything to do with General Petraeus. The fact is you're either against these wars or you're not. There was a large contingent of the left completely against these wars under Bush, and we haven't heard a peep out of them since Obama took office despite the wars continuing and expanding.

There you go generalizing again. Not a peep? Surely you jest. Remember "Code Pink"? The group whom neocons thought were just a bunch of nutty liberal women? Well they haven't stopped with Iraq. Guess they're not so liberal after all.

Code Pink: Get out of Afghanistan - USATODAY.com

And ~~

Dems, Liberal Group Push Obama to Pull Out of Afghanistan

And ~~

The DNC Wants Out of Afghanistan | The Nation

[Corrected double posting of link]

Like I said in an earlier post, it certainly doesn't refer to every single liberal or progressive. I even gave the example of Glenn Greenwald who is a principled antiwar progressive. Code Pink is another example. Regardless, you can't deny that a majority of the so-called antiwar left has disappeared.

kaz said:
Again Obama's policy was to keep it open. He was overruled on nothing here. He didn't even close the prison, which he could have done.

You gave no example where this actually happened.

Maybe I should have specifically said the Vietnam war ended for us

Maybe I should have specifically said you gave no example where this actually happened to Obama

Forum List

Back