Ron Paul and the "Wacko" Label

The problem with politics today is that people view their vote as something to be bartered for instead of a gift to be given. I reward those I agree with by giving them my vote and I ask only that they stand by their word. If they violate that trust then I will never give them another vote.

I don't want promises of what they will do for me or give me with other peoples money. I want them to uphold their oath to the constitution and the people.

The problem with politics today is that people view their vote as something to be bartered for instead of a gift to be given. I reward those I agree with by giving them my vote and I ask only that they stand by their word. If they violate that trust then I will never give them another vote.

I don't want promises of what they will do for me or give me with other peoples money. I want them to uphold their oath to the constitution and the people.

I couldn't have said that better. Women and minorities fought tooth and nail for the right to finally vote, and now that they have it they have no problem wasting it on someone they don't actually like, but just don't hate as much as the opponent.

It's sad.

Last edited:
Neither of the Pauls seem to think things through. They both make outrageous statements without ever considering how their beliefs, opinions or plans would work or what they would do. Even though Ron Paul is 75+ years old, he seems very naive. His kid is just plain racist and dumb. No thought at all.

Neither Ron nor Rand are actually Libertarians.

I knew and worked with Dave Nolan in Denver in the 70s. In its purest form, Libertarianism is beautiful and appeals to the very naive as well as anarchist wannabes.

Libertarianism is a lot like Communism is that both work very well on paper but will never work in real life.

What is it with you non-libertarians trying to assert who is or who isn't a libertarian?

In short, I'd say libertarianism is about localizing and less government on both sides, that is mainly what both left and right libertarianism is about.
There is no one form of libertarianism, but minimal or no government at all is what we agree upon as libertarians. If someone is arguing against libertarianism as if we are all the same and there aren't different schools of thought in libertarianism, you know that person doesn't know enough to even address it.

Last edited:
The legislative branch ought to have more say on constitutionality than the judicial branch.

We the people don't have a voice in the judicial branch. We should be deciding for ourselves what we want the interpretation to be, and the only way to do that is through our representatives. We're supposed to be forcing our representatives to REPRESENT us.

Nope....Part of checks and balances

Someone has to tell the legislative branch when they are stepping over the line. And they often do

The Judicial Branch needs to be exempt from the whims of the public and decide based on Constitutional and Judicial precedence

Checks and balances? Who checks and balances the court when they make a final ruling?

This is just your opinion. The framers never gave the judicial branch that power. It's not even VAGUELY mentioned in the constitution as a power.

Hamilton seemed to support the idea of judicial review, but even he ultimately said that the power was in words only and not actions. The court can have an opinion on legislation but not a final binding decision on constitutionality. They simply do not have that power.

Congress has the authority to make laws and amend the Constitution

Checks and balances

I refer you to Marbury vs Madison. Congress has had 200 years to overrule the principle of Judicial Review, the have wisely chosen not to

Last edited:
Well, he's a libertarian, hence most of the eye-rolling.
What's to roll your eyes over libertarianism?

Mostly because they live in a fantasy world adrift from reality

No country in the world is run on Libertarian principles..........none ever will

You're admitting there's been no precedent set for a country being run on libertarian principles, yet somehow seem to have the clairvoyance to know it won't work.

You've got a lot of opinions, but at the end of the day that's all they are.

Fuck your case law. Nowhere in the constitution does it say that the court is the final answer on constitutionality. It doesn't even give them the authority for judicial review. The court awarded ITSELF that power.

Ah, another graduate of the Mr. Nick School of Law, I see.

The Constitution is the culmination of centuries of Anglo-American judicial tradition. The doctrines of judicial review, judicial interpretation, and the rule of law predate the Constitution and government; and the Constitution, as part of that judicial tradition, is subject to judicial interpretation. The Court merely acknowledged and confirmed that fact in Marbury:

The generation that framed the Constitution presumed that courts would declare void legislation that was repugnant or contrary to the Constitution. They held this presumption because of colonial American practice. By the early seventeenth century, English law subjected the by-laws of corporations to the requirement that they not be repugnant to the laws of the nation. The early English settlements in Virginia and Massachusetts were originally corporations and so these settlements were bound by the principle that colonial legislation could not be repugnant to the laws of England. Under this standard, colonial lawyers appealed approximately 250 cases from colonial courts to the English Privy Council, and the Crown reviewed over 8500 colonial acts.

After the American Revolution, this practice continued. State court judges voided state legislation inconsistent with their respective state constitutions. The Framers of the Constitution similarly presumed that judges would void legislation repugnant to the United States Constitution. Although a few Framers worried about the power, they expected it would exist. As James Madison stated, “A law violating a constitution established by the people themselves, would be considered by the Judges as null & void.” In fact, the word “Constitution” in the Supremacy Clause and the clause describing the Supreme Court’s jurisdiction appeared to give textual authorization for judicial enforcement of constitutional constraints on state and federal legislation. Indeed, before Marbury, Justice Chase observed that although the Court had never adjudicated whether the judiciary had the authority to declare laws contrary to the Constitution void, this authority was acknowledged by general opinion, the entire Supreme Court bar, and some of the Supreme Court Justices.

The Yale Law Journal Online - Why We Have Judicial Review

It could be that a fair amount of the case law ignores the Constitution.

The Constitution and its case law are one in the same; the Constitution exists only in the context of its case law, as interpreted by the Supreme Court. There may be opinions by the majority you disagree with, but those rulings become part of the case law and law of the land nonetheless.

What if the precedence is bad?

Precedent is neither ‘good’ nor ‘bad.’ The courts are bound to follow precedent but it is not an ‘inexorable command,’ as Justice Kennedy observed in Lawrence:
The doctrine of stare decisis is essential to the respect accorded to the judgments of the Court and to the stability of the law. It is not, however, an inexorable command. Payne v. Tennessee, 501 U.S. 808, 828 (1991) (“Stare decisis is not an inexorable command; rather, it ‘is a principle of policy and not a mechanical formula of adherence to the latest decision’ ”) (quoting Helvering v. Hallock, 309 U.S. 106, 119 (1940))).

It’s naïve reactionaryism, it’s predicated on a mythical perception of an American past that never existed in the first place. It attempts to establish an 18th Century government structure in 21st Century reality.

As a libertarian Paul is just as much a naïve reactionary; indeed, his ignorance of the Constitution – or his contempt for its case law, either way – make him wholly unqualified to be president.

For example, Paul’s inane advocacy of ‘states’ rights,’ where states decide matters such as privacy rights or equal access to the law, would result in millions of American citizens having their civil liberties placed in jeopardy. Paul and his supporters obsess over the ‘tyranny’ of the Federal government yet are willing to subject Americans to the tyranny of state and local governments – it makes no difference what governmental entity violates one’s civil rights, the right s violated regardless.

The constitution created the courts which makes the constitution supreme. The courts might "interpret" themselves out of power if they keep at it. Every change made to the constitution weakens it because it diminishes the true power of the constitution which is the protection of individual freedom. This is the bedrock of our nation and it is being slowly eroded and your courts are one of the worst offenders.

Mostly because they live in a fantasy world adrift from reality

No country in the world is run on Libertarian principles..........none ever will

You're admitting there's been no precedent set for a country being run on libertarian principles, yet somehow seem to have the clairvoyance to know it won't work.

You've got a lot of opinions, but at the end of the day that's all they are.

The reason no country runs on libertarian principles is the same reason we dont follow it here.

Rational people look at Libertarianism and say.......Damn, that's stupid

The constitution created the courts which makes the constitution supreme. The courts might "interpret" themselves out of power if they keep at it. Every change made to the constitution weakens it because it diminishes the true power of the constitution which is the protection of individual freedom. This is the bedrock of our nation and it is being slowly eroded and your courts are one of the worst offenders.

And what mechanism allows the Constitution to protect individual freedom?

The Federal courts.

When an American believes his state government has violated his civil liberties, he may file suit in Federal court for relief, and have the law or action subject to judicial review to determine constitutionality.

The courts and the Constitution are one in the same, they are blended together in an inexorable union designed to afford a fair and equal application of justice.

Forum List

Back