Ron Paul and the "Wacko" Label

nodoginnafight

No Party Affiliation
Dec 15, 2008
Georgia
Do Ron Paul's GOP rivals try to present Ron Paul as a "wacko"? Yes - I believe so. Smirks, eye-rolling send a clear message.

Does the media try to present Ron Paul as a "wacko"? I believe that sometimes they do - or at least they are buying into that effort by Paul's rivals for the GOP nomination. Or maybe they are picking up on some of the things that Paul and his supporters do that make it all too easy to write him off as a wacko.

I don't think Ron Paul is a wacko.

Yes, his positions are significantly different from many "mainstream" politicians. That - in and of itself - doesn't make him a wacko. But it does put the onus squarely on him to explain and educate people in a way that they can understand. His failure to accomplish that makes the "wacko" label that much easier to stick.

So many of his supporters who engage in poll hacking and absurd delegate total claims are so obviously preposterous that it makes it way too easy to write them off as wacko and that makes it easier to write Paul himself off as a wacko.

When they hack post debate polls producing absurd results like "87% of debate viewers believe Ron Paul won the debate" it makes them look stupid when he consistently draws 8 to 12% in actual voting.

Ron Paul is as much a victim of himself and of his own supporters as he is of any media bias or attacks from opponents.

Ron Paul is consistant. As a result, some of what he says is way out of the mainstream, but much of what he says is basic logic and well within reason.

So, in a way, his consistancy is his downfall.

Ironic...a man who is consitant is seen as a whacko, and a man like Obama, who has changed his mind a thousand times is admired.

Ron Paul is consistant. As a result, some of what he says is way out of the mainstream, but much of what he says is basic logic and well within reason.

So, in a way, his consistancy is his downfall.

Ironic...a man who is consitant is seen as a whacko, and a man like Obama, who has changed his mind a thousand times is admired.

It's not his consistancy that puts him outside the mainstream. Trying to claim that is exactly what I was talking about in my original post.

Thanks for the confirmation

Not so much a wacko as having too much faith that his ideas will have positive results. The constitution was not perfect and neither are DR Paul's interpretations. I see too much blind faith and too little critical thinking from him and his camp. Wacko? Maybe not, but certainly not reasonable or eager to closely examine the side effects of these untried policies.

Not so much a wacko as having too much faith that his ideas will have positive results. The constitution was not perfect and neither are DR Paul's interpretations. I see too much blind faith and too little critical thinking from him and his camp. Wacko? Maybe not, but certainly not reasonable or eager to closely examine the side effects of these untried policies.

Give Paul credit for NOT wanting to invade any country he is told "has weapons of WMD".

Give Paul credit for NOT wanting to invade any country he is told "has weapons of WMD".

Perhaps, but his isolationist foreign polices encompasses more than just not blowing up other countries.

The Constitution is about as perfect a man-made government can get, and Dr. Paul's 'interpretation' of it is that it needs no 'interpretation'. You think you can write something better, please give it a whirl. Many have tried, NONE have succeeded.

The Constitution is about as perfect a man-made government can get, and Dr. Paul's 'interpretation' of it is that it needs no 'interpretation'. You think you can write something better, please give it a whirl. Many have tried, NONE have succeeded.

See the blind faith in action here? No lawyer, judge or anyone will tell you that our Constitution stands alone, it had to be continually amended and interpreted by 200+ plus years of judicial decisions. The thought that it is adequate alone minus the case law to define our society is just wrong.

I dont think Ron Paul's opponents give him much thought whatsoever.

I agree, when talking with Paul haters like yourself it is clear they know very little about the man outside he is a real conservative. Paul haters know giving Paul the spotlight only makes the Progressive candidates the Paul haters support look bad.

Perhaps, but his isolationist foreign polices encompasses more than just not blowing up other countries.

Case and point, a Paul hater would use the word "isolationist" because they either don't know Paul's foreign policy, they simply don't understand the meaning of the word or they feel the word sounds bad and therefore they use it in hopes others who don't know either what the word means or Paul’s actual position make Paul look bad. The use of the word is a clear misrepresentation on Paul's more than clear stance on foreign policy.

Do Ron Paul's GOP rivals try to present Ron Paul as a "wacko"? Yes - I believe so. Smirks, eye-rolling send a clear message.

Does the media try to present Ron Paul as a "wacko"? I believe that sometimes they do - or at least they are buying into that effort by Paul's rivals for the GOP nomination. Or maybe they are picking up on some of the things that Paul and his supporters do that make it all too easy to write him off as a wacko.

Yes, his positions are significantly different from many "mainstream" politicians. That - in and of itself - doesn't make him a wacko. But it does put the onus squarely on him to explain and educate people in a way that they can understand. His failure to accomplish that makes the "wacko" label that much easier to stick.

So many of his supporters who engage in poll hacking and absurd delegate total claims are so obviously preposterous that it makes it way too easy to write them off as wacko and that makes it easier to write Paul himself off as a wacko.

When they hack post debate polls producing absurd results like "87% of debate viewers believe Ron Paul won the debate" it makes them look stupid when he consistently draws 8 to 12% in actual voting.

Ron Paul is as much a victim of himself and of his own supporters as he is of any media bias or attacks from opponents.

Looks like a duck........sounds like a duck......smells like a duck

What constitutes hacking these polls? All Ron Paul supporters do is vote in them like everyone else. Just because they have more dedication than supporters of other candidates doesn't mean they're hacking anything.

As for the delegate claims, there's nothing preposterous about it. Ron Paul supporters are getting elected at the county level far more than the straw poll results indicate. Now we won't know the exact delegate total for months, but it can at least be expected that Ron Paul will have more delegates than the "official" tallies would indicate. Does that mean he's going to win the nomination? No, but it does mean if there's a brokered convention with multiple rounds of voting that things could get very interesting.

Case and point, a Paul hater would use the word "isolationist" because they either don't know Paul's foreign policy, they simply don't understand the meaning of the word or they feel the word sounds bad and therefore they use it in hopes others who don't know either what the word means or Paul’s actual position make Paul look bad. The use of the word is a clear misrepresentation on Paul's more than clear stance on foreign policy.

There are few things in this world that lend themselves to corruption and tyranny like a power vacuum. Whatever you happen to call his polices other than isolationism, the fact remains that he would create many power vacuums here and abroad and I can tell you right now that nothing resembling freedom or stability will fill them.

Last edited:
wack·o
   [wak-oh] Show IPA noun, plural wack·os, adjective Slang .
noun
Also, wack. an eccentric, strange, or odd person.
Ron Paul.

wack·o
noun
Ron Paul.

I do agree with the OP that Ron Paul supporters are a lot more whacko than he is. Conspiracy Theorists come out of the woodwork for Paul

What constitutes hacking these polls? All Ron Paul supporters do is vote in them like everyone else. Just because they have more dedication than supporters of other candidates doesn't mean they're hacking anything.

As for the delegate claims, there's nothing preposterous about it. Ron Paul supporters are getting elected at the county level far more than the straw poll results indicate. Now we won't know the exact delegate total for months, but it can at least be expected that Ron Paul will have more delegates than the "official" tallies would indicate. Does that mean he's going to win the nomination? No, but it does mean if there's a brokered convention with multiple rounds of voting that things could get very interesting.

No matter how you slice it, Paul's 50 or so delegates will have little weight

wack·o
noun
Ron Paul.

I do agree with the OP that Ron Paul supporters are a lot more whacko than he is. Conspiracy Theorists come out of the woodwork for Paul

I agree, every side has people like that. Just look at some of Obama's supporters like you and TM.

Forum List

Back