Romney: Income inequality is just "envy"

A rich person, like Romney, saying that others are envious of his wealth is presumptuous, and does not reflect reality, only his personal defense of others resentment, for reasons which he could never understand, because he has never been in their shoes. What is even more presumptuous is the implication that people want to be him, or like him, even if only in financial wealth. It communicates the idea that the others are worth less intrinsically, because they do no have his money. It says a lot about how he sees the less wealthy, and therefore, how they will be regarded and treated once he is in office, should he win. His arrogance hopefully will not get that far.

If other people don't want Romney's money, then why all this constant harping about the rich "paying their fair share?"

That's obviously an appeal to envy. Only the sleaziest brand of demagogue would deny it.

If Romney has no shame about his wealth, why does he hide his tax return?

Well let's be honest... we do envy the wealthy.

-We envy the ability of the wealthy to convince 50% of the population to vote against their own interests.

-We envy the ability of the wealthy to run the country into the ground, blame the government...then ask the same government for help.

-We envy the ability of the wealthy to demand the government provide corporate protections, subsidies and welfare, while simultaneously denouncing "dependency" on Government.

-We envy the ability of the wealthy to use their wealth to buy US public policy and law.

If you were honest, you would look at what Romney said in full and not take one sentence to create outrage.

I sure don't envy your lack of intellect.

Well shit Joe just what is their" fair share?"

The wealthy already pay the lions share of Fed taxes as it is.

How much more should they pay??

Personally I think they need to get rid of the tax loopholes, tax breaks and subsidies and that would provide more revenue that the wealthy can put out. There just aren't enough of em.

Well shit Joe just what is their" fair share?"

The wealthy already pay the lions share of Fed taxes as it is.

How much more should they pay??

Personally I think they need to get rid of the tax loopholes, tax breaks and subsidies and that would provide more revenue that the wealthy can put out. There just aren't enough of em.

Please... I realize you buy into the Limbaugh propaganda about how the poor rich are just paying too much, but that isn't the case.

I'd have no problem if we went back to where we were pre-Bush-43.

Point is, I think there should be a combination of spending cuts AND tax increases, but the rich should pay the lion's share of them.

NEW YORK (CNNMoney) -- According to Mitt Romney, the nation's growing focus on income inequality is all about envy.

"You know, I think it's about envy. I think it's about class warfare," the leading Republican presidential candidate said Wednesday on The Today Show.

When asked if there are any fair questions about wealth distribution, Romney replied, "It's fine to talk about those things in quiet rooms and discussions about tax policy and the like."

Romney: Income Inequality Is Just 'Envy' - Politics News Story - WCVB Boston

It is about envy.

You cannot show me how anyone who makes more money than you actually denies you the opportunity to make more money yourself.

So rather than improving yourself so as to improve your own marketability and your income you would rather whine that it's someone else's fault.

So you aren't angry with the rich because they have more money than you? Isn't that the very definition of envy?

That's a ridiculous statement. It's like saying..you aren't angry that guy has a ferrari and drives 100 miles an hour down the street your kids play on?

From where I sit..there's nothing wrong with "some" income inequality. It's what makes a horse race. But like everything else..there should be limits. Should a CEO make 10 times more then the average employee? Yeah..I think so. Should that same CEO make 100 times more? Well..now it might be a problem. And should that same CEO have more of a political "voice" because they have more wealth? Absolutely not.

NEW YORK (CNNMoney) -- According to Mitt Romney, the nation's growing focus on income inequality is all about envy.

"You know, I think it's about envy. I think it's about class warfare," the leading Republican presidential candidate said Wednesday on The Today Show.

When asked if there are any fair questions about wealth distribution, Romney replied, "It's fine to talk about those things in quiet rooms and discussions about tax policy and the like."

It is about envy.

You cannot show me how anyone who makes more money than you actually denies you the opportunity to make more money yourself.

So rather than improving yourself so as to improve your own marketability and your income you would rather whine that it's someone else's fault.

When the rich use their money to push for Free Trade Treaties, "Right to WOrk" laws, union busting, "At Will Employment" - they are using their power to reduce what the rest of us make.

I'm always amazed that working class republicans go along with this shit. I'm amazed I went along with it as long as I did.

It is about envy.

Ah..so when Conservatives constantly bring up Soros..it's a class envy thing. :D

So you aren't angry with the rich because they have more money than you? Isn't that the very definition of envy?

That's a ridiculous statement. It's like saying..you aren't angry that guy has a ferrari and drives 100 miles an hour down the street your kids play on?

From where I sit..there's nothing wrong with "some" income inequality. It's what makes a horse race. But like everything else..there should be limits. Should a CEO make 10 times more then the average employee? Yeah..I think so. Should that same CEO make 100 times more? Well..now it might be a problem. And should that same CEO have more of a political "voice" because they have more wealth? Absolutely not.

You have no business telling people how much they can and can't earn.

Privately held companies can pay whatever they want. To think that somehow lowering salaries by mandate will make your financial situation better is idiocy.

It is about envy.

Ah..so when Conservatives constantly bring up Soros..it's a class envy thing. :D

Conservatives don't want to take his money away do they?

It is about envy.

I own a business and I don't want you vultures trying to take more of my money than is already confiscated by the government.

When the rich use their money to push for Free Trade Treaties, "Right to WOrk" laws, union busting, "At Will Employment" - they are using their power to reduce what the rest of us make.

I'm always amazed that working class republicans go along with this shit. I'm amazed I went along with it as long as I did.

Once again a right to work law does NOT bust unions. It merely gives people the opportunity to get a job without being forced to join a union.

Last edited:

Privately held companies can pay whatever they want. To think that somehow lowering salaries by mandate will make your financial situation better is idiocy.

Sure I do. And I can vote for the people that feel the same way. There's a minimum wage in this country. Just what the fuck do you think that is? The government telling people what the minimum allowed wage will be set at..or telling people what they can earn.

And Privately held companies don't operate in a vacuum. If they are doing things that are injurious to the economy..like engaging in massive wealth extraction..that's going to be addressed. One way or the other.

I wonder if you have ever looked into companies that cap executive compensation at some multiple of the lowest paid employee salary? They exist.

Sure I do. And I can vote for the people that feel the same way. There's a minimum wage in this country. Just what the fuck do you think that is? The government telling people what the minimum allowed wage will be set at..or telling people what they can earn.

And Privately held companies don't operate in a vacuum. If they are doing things that are injurious to the economy..like engaging in massive wealth extraction..that's going to be addressed. One way or the other.

No actually the minimum wage is the government telling businesses how much they have to pay not how much people can earn.

It is about envy.

I own a business and I don't want you vultures trying to take more of my money than is already confiscated by the government.

Once again a right to work law does NOT bust unions. It merely gives people the opportunity to get a job without being forced to join a union.

Of course it is.

And of course it does. In almost every state that has "right to work" laws..the power of Unions have been diminished. Other lovely things have happened as well. Like job losses, wage reductions and the elimination of benefits.

Oh..and the amount of millionaires becoming billionaires has skyrocketed.

I wonder if you have ever looked into companies that cap executive compensation at some multiple of the lowest paid employee salary? They exist.

And that is the choice of the company it is not your choice to decide that is it?

Of course it is.

And of course it does. In almost every state that has "right to work" laws..the power of Unions have been diminished. Other lovely things have happened as well. Like job losses, wage reductions and the elimination of benefits.

Oh..and the amount of millionaires becoming billionaires has skyrocketed.

Oh the poor unions can't force people to join so they lose money.

Tell me how many other groups do you think people should be forced to join and pay dues even if they would rather not?

And that is the choice of the company it is not your choice to decide that is it?

We can discuss that. First, please look into a few of them. You may find that legislating such a thing could be good for the country. Maybe you won't. As it is now, you speak from a position of ignorance.

It is about envy.

Right. Because, hey, an employer is always going to pick workers with higher pay and rights over ones with no rights and lower pay.

Thank you, Sir, may I have another.

Forum List

Back