Rolling Stones vs Beatles

The Beatles and Stones were both great acts that stand the test of time. Do I spend all day listening to either? Not usually. But I own everything the Beatles ever did, and most of the Stones repertoire. Forty years later, they still sound better than most of today's rock bands. I am going to listen to "Let it Bleed" right now.......

The beatles were the backstreet boys of their time. Spare me. Their BEST song is While My Guitar Gently Weeps. Most of everything else, with a handful of exceptions, is about as profound as the 4th minute of Inagaddadavida.

Music is a matter of taste. You have every right to not like the Beatles, but to discount their contribution and impact and then compare them to the BSB or one hit wonders like Iron Butterfly is just plain ignorant...

You are no Mozart of the mind...

yea! nothing says "innovative" quite like beginning their career as the pop band du jour teen candy soundtrack and ending by delving into the same trite psychedelic shit that EVERYONE ELSE was already offering. Did you think the beatles invented that colorful, tripped out genre? You might as well have assumed that Creed invented grunge. Face it, the beatles had more in common with N'sync than mozart. Hell, at least the Stones have musical roots in blues beyond whatever candy flavored hook caused 12 year old girls to chase them around the city. HELP!, indeed.

:lol:

It's clear you are either young and naive or just immature...

The Beatles were very innovative. If you had been alive and/or aware you wouldn't make such stupid statements. But innovation alone is not the only criteria of great music...

You mention grunge... Kurt Cobain was a big fan of the Beatles and John Lennon in particular. I can hear the Beatles influence in songs like Heart Shaped Box...

You laud the Stones musical roots...yea 'Their Satanic Majesties Request' released in December 1967 has it's roots in ripping off the Beatles St Peppers album released in June 1967!

200px-SatanicRS.jpg

I'm sure I had this type of conversation with someone like you in the past...in grammar school...

yea! nothing says "innovative" quite like beginning their career as the pop band du jour teen candy soundtrack and ending by delving into the same trite psychedelic shit that EVERYONE ELSE was already offering. Did you think the beatles invented that colorful, tripped out genre? You might as well have assumed that Creed invented grunge. Face it, the beatles had more in common with N'sync than mozart. Hell, at least the Stones have musical roots in blues beyond whatever candy flavored hook caused 12 year old girls to chase them around the city. HELP!, indeed.

The Beatles were very innovative. If you had been alive and/or aware you wouldn't make such stupid statements. But innovation alone is not the only criteria of great music...

You mention grunge... Kurt Cobain was a big fan of the Beatles and John Lennon in particular. I can hear the Beatles influence in songs like Heart Shaped Box...

You laud the Stones musical roots...yea 'Their Satanic Majesties Request' released in December 1967 has it's roots in ripping off the Beatles St Peppers album released in June 1967!

200px-SatanicRS.jpg

I'm sure I had this type of conversation with someone like you in the past...in grammar school...

which has its roots in ripping off the beach boys pet sounds released in may, 1966.

go figure.

The Beatles and Stones were both great acts that stand the test of time. Do I spend all day listening to either? Not usually. But I own everything the Beatles ever did, and most of the Stones repertoire. Forty years later, they still sound better than most of today's rock bands. I am going to listen to "Let it Bleed" right now.......

Looking at your avatar I did not see this post comming.

200px-SatanicRS.jpg

which has its roots in ripping off the beach boys pet sounds released in may, 1966.

go figure.

Great album! I also love the Beach Boys...they give me 'good vibs'...LOL

The Beatles have said that Pet Sounds was a major influence on their album Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, and Paul McCartney has repeatedly named it as one of his favorite albums (with "God Only Knows" as his favorite song) — completing a circle begun by The Beatles' influence on Wilson.

McCartney stated that:
“ It was Pet Sounds that blew me out of the water. I love the album so much. I've just bought my kids each a copy of it for their education in life ... I figure no one is educated musically 'til they've heard that album ... I love the orchestra, the arrangements ... it may be going overboard to say it's the classic of the century ... but to me, it certainly is a total, classic record that is unbeatable in many ways ... I've often played Pet Sounds and cried. I played it to John [Lennon] so much that it would be difficult for him to escape the influence ... it was the record of the time. The thing that really made me sit up and take notice was the bass lines ... and also, putting melodies in the bass line. That I think was probably the big influence that set me thinking when we recorded Pepper, it set me off on a period I had then for a couple of years of nearly always writing quite melodic bass lines. "God Only Knows" is a big favourite of mine ... very emotional, always a bit of a choker for me, that one. On "You Still Believe in Me", I love that melody - that kills me ... that's my favourite, I think ... it's so beautiful right at the end ... comes surging back in these multi-coloured harmonies ... sends shivers up my spine.
wiki

• Thanks
Reactions: del
Oh no I don't believe it!

album-The-Mothers-of-Invention-Were-Only-in-It-for-the-Money.jpg

How do you not love a guy who can mock the Beatles at the height of their popularity?

200px-SatanicRS.jpg

no, what is clear is that you'd leap onto a bandwagon as soon as you see five other motherfuckers doing the same.

and, to point this out... The BEATLES in HEART SHAPED BOX?

ooooooook.

:rofl:

and, again, the beatles didn't innovate a goddamn thing. I hate to break it to ya, buddy, but that whole psychedelic scene had been happening long before those four teen heartthrobs decided to let their hair grow long. You sound like the kind of guy who goes to a Grateful Dead show just to wear the tyedye uniform. You go ahead and enjoy your 60s era candy pop, dude... Hell, the best beatles song wasn't even written by the "i wanna hold your hand" duo anyway.

200px-SatanicRS.jpg

no, what is clear is that you'd leap onto a bandwagon as soon as you see five other motherfuckers doing the same.

ooooooook.

and, again, the beatles didn't innovate a goddamn thing. I hate to break it to ya, buddy, but that whole psychedelic scene had been happening long before those four teen heartthrobs decided to let their hair grow long. You sound like the kind of guy who goes to a Grateful Dead show just to wear the tyedye uniform. You go ahead and enjoy your 60s era candy pop, dude... Hell, the best beatles song wasn't even written by the "i wanna hold your hand" duo anyway.

I hate to break it to you, but I never said the Beatles originated psychedelic music. I said the Beatles were innovative...their innovations and influence was not limited strictly to music. I know, I was there junior...I'm a guy that played in rock bands since 1965...I do know a tiny bit about music...

You have every right to your taste in music, but to imply the Beatles were musical lightweights or 'candy' is really dumb. Music is an art form that can illicit thought and/or emotion..great songwriters like Lennon and McCartney used every tool of human personality, including humor... maybe you believe music has to be monolithic ...

Most people don't listen to music for it's innovation...

If you are a big fan of innovation, then I'm sure you are a big fan of Igor Stravinsky's Le Sacre du Printemps...unfortunately the crowd that showed up at the Champs Élysées Theatre on May 29, 1913 WASN'T...they rioted...

I love the opening guitar riff

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANpCIgAYz1k&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANpCIgAYz1k&feature=related[/ame]

i prefer the beatles and the kinks to the stones.

shake up the pale dry ginger ale.

The Kinks really got you huh? All day and all of the night, till the end of the day, ev'rybody's gonna be happy listening to them! :D

He's not the world's most passionate guy, but when he looked in their eyes, he almost fell for them.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VH6RzbEqkQw&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VH6RzbEqkQw&feature=related[/ame]

ooooooook.

I hate to break it to you, but I never said the Beatles originated psychedelic music. I said the Beatles were innovative...their innovations and influence was not limited strictly to music. I know, I was there junior...I'm a guy that played in rock bands since 1965...I do know a tiny bit about music...

You have every right to your taste in music, but to imply the Beatles were musical lightweights or 'candy' is really dumb. Music is an art form that can illicit thought and/or emotion..great songwriters like Lennon and McCartney used every tool of human personality, including humor... maybe you believe music has to be monolithic ...

Most people don't listen to music for it's innovation...

If you are a big fan of innovation, then I'm sure you are a big fan of Igor Stravinsky's Le Sacre du Printemps...unfortunately the crowd that showed up at the Champs Élysées Theatre on May 29, 1913 WASN'T...they rioted...

whoopty fucking do. I've been in bands too. That you are stuck on your childhood like a grunge freak pretending that Smells Like Team Spirit is the most innovative song in the last 100 years speaks VOLUMES about your ability to be objective. Maybe, if you didn't pretend that your "tiny bit about music" is some kind of fucking badge ...

and, if you DON"T think that the beatles began their career as a teen pop candy band then it's pretty clear why you keep responding. I figured that it was mostly girls chasing them around but, CLEARLY, even some dudes achieved screaming in similarly high register.

Oh, and let me just say.. I'm REAL impressed by the name dropping of Stravinsky. No, really. It probably doesn't convey how fragile your fucking ego is after being checked in this thread.

:thup:

ps, enjoy some "innovative" gheyness.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5HZCI7IS3w[/ame]

Forum List

Back