Rolling Stones vs Beatles

I hate to break it to you, but I never said the Beatles originated psychedelic music. I said the Beatles were innovative...their innovations and influence was not limited strictly to music. I know, I was there junior...I'm a guy that played in rock bands since 1965...I do know a tiny bit about music...

You have every right to your taste in music, but to imply the Beatles were musical lightweights or 'candy' is really dumb. Music is an art form that can illicit thought and/or emotion..great songwriters like Lennon and McCartney used every tool of human personality, including humor... maybe you believe music has to be monolithic ...

Most people don't listen to music for it's innovation...

If you are a big fan of innovation, then I'm sure you are a big fan of Igor Stravinsky's Le Sacre du Printemps...unfortunately the crowd that showed up at the Champs Élysées Theatre on May 29, 1913 WASN'T...they rioted...

whoopty fucking do. I've been in bands too. That you are stuck on your childhood like a grunge freak pretending that Smells Like Team Spirit is the most innovative song in the last 100 years speaks VOLUMES about your ability to be objective. Maybe, if you didn't pretend that your "tiny bit about music" is some kind of fucking badge ...

and, if you DON"T think that the beatles began their career as a teen pop candy band then it's pretty clear why you keep responding. I figured that it was mostly girls chasing them around but, CLEARLY, even some dudes achieved screaming in similarly high register.

Oh, and let me just say.. I'm REAL impressed by the name dropping of Stravinsky. No, really. It probably doesn't convey how fragile your fucking ego is after being checked in this thread.

:lol:

:thup:

ps, enjoy some "innovative" gheyness.

You Tube - Glass Onion

gheyness? What the fuck's wrong with you? We're talking about MUSIC, not war & peace you cement head...

The Beatles started out like any other group...young guys that loved music and played 'till there were blisters on their fingers. They spent years 'becoming' a real band in the basement clubs of Germany working for food money. The fact that they became popular and a commercial success is not their fault...it was a reaction by OTHER people!

My personal taste in music is very open and varied. I listen to everything from classical to the heavy metal. I like many different artists and music genre...

If anyone is fixated, insecure and childish it is YOU...after thousands of years of music, only Shogun knows what is REAL music...what a total ass you are...My guess is you are one of the ghey guys in this ...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zX-R2tk0itI"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zX-R2tk0itI[/ame]

It's clear you are either young and naive or just immature...

The Beatles were very innovative. If you had been alive and/or aware you wouldn't make such stupid statements. But innovation alone is not the only criteria of great music...

You mention grunge... Kurt Cobain was a big fan of the Beatles and John Lennon in particular. I can hear the Beatles influence in songs like Heart Shaped Box...

You laud the Stones musical roots...yea 'Their Satanic Majesties Request' released in December 1967 has it's roots in ripping off the Beatles St Peppers album released in June 1967!

200px-SatanicRS.jpg

I'm sure I had this type of conversation with someone like you in the past...in grammar school...

which has its roots in ripping off the beach boys pet sounds released in may, 1966.

go figure.

What a great point! The Beatles and the Beach Boys pushed each other further and further out, California Girls/Back in the USSR for example

Goodnight Austin Texas, where ever you are!

Seriously, all kidding aside, Zappa was ahead of all of them and influenced all of them but the music industry decided to make him disappear

Freak Out was released in June 1966

"If you were to graphically analyze the different types of directions of all the songs in the Freak Out! album, there's a little something in there for everybody. At least one piece of material is slanted for every type of social orientation within our consumer group, which happens to be six to eighty. Because we got people that like what we do, from kids six years old screaming on us to play 'Wowie Zowie.' Like I meet executives doing this and that, and they say, 'My kid's got the record, and "Wowie Zowie"'s their favorite song." -- Frank Zappa

mothers-of-invention-freak-out.jpg

Reread the thread, douchebag. I've never claimed to be the sole interpreter of what is good music; however, all the beatle worship is just asinine. They certainly were not gods gift to the fucking treble clef.

The beatles were the backstreet boys of their time. Spare me. Their BEST song is While My Guitar Gently Weeps. Most of everything else, with a handful of exceptions, is about as profound as the 4th minute of Inagaddadavida.

Unsurprisingly, we agree on the best Beatles song. :lol:

However, I do think they have more than a handful of exception of songs that are profound as the 4th minute of In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida.

Neither.

I never got the whole Beatlemania thing. Really their music was unsophisticated and the Stones were even worse.

Seriously, all kidding aside, Zappa was ahead of all of them and influenced all of them but the music industry decided to make him disappear

Freak Out was released in June 1966

"If you were to graphically analyze the different types of directions of all the songs in the Freak Out! album, there's a little something in there for everybody. At least one piece of material is slanted for every type of social orientation within our consumer group, which happens to be six to eighty. Because we got people that like what we do, from kids six years old screaming on us to play 'Wowie Zowie.' Like I meet executives doing this and that, and they say, 'My kid's got the record, and "Wowie Zowie"'s their favorite song." -- Frank Zappa

mothers-of-invention-freak-out.jpg

Is that a real poncho or a Sears poncho?

Reread the thread, douchebag. I've never claimed to be the sole interpreter of what is good music; however, all the beatle worship is just asinine. They certainly were not gods gift to the fucking treble clef.

Really? You're sure doing a good impression of a cement head...

The Beatles composed and created great music in the opinion of many and their impact on music and on society should not be 'worshiped', but it should not be trashed either...

As I said in the beginning, Music is a matter of taste. You have every right to not like the Beatles, but to discount their contribution and impact and then compare them to the BSB or one hit wonders like Iron Butterfly is just plain ignorant...

We all have personal musical preferences, but I've learned to respect all artistic talent, even if it is outside my preferences... a few examples:

It's ironic you mentioned the Backstreet Boys; when my 23 year old daughter was a teenager she was a huge BSB fan...she was convinced Nick Carter would someday be my son-in law...So needless to say, I got to listen to a LOT of BSB...and you know what I discovered; they're good. Their vocal harmonies are excellent, and I've heard enough live recordings to know their talent isn't a creation of a studio engineer.

I had heard songs on the radio over the years by Prince, and had him pegged as a pop lightweight...I was absolutely floored when I heard him play guitar on While My Guitar Gently Weeps at a George Harrison tribute concert... the guy can PLAY...

It is spooky how much George's son is the spitting image of his late father...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifp_SVrlurY"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifp_SVrlurY[/ame]

your fleeting opinion of Prince doesn't validate all the beatle worship. In fact, I DARE you to name, specifically, these "innovations" you keep mentioning. Go ahead, ya starry eyed little fan boy... I'll wait to continue pointing out how hilarious your liverpool vestments are until after you actually NAME all this "innovation" brought about by the beatles...

your fleeting opinion of Prince doesn't validate all the beatle worship. In fact, I DARE you to name, specifically, these "innovations" you keep mentioning. Go ahead, ya starry eyed little fan boy... I'll wait to continue pointing out how hilarious your liverpool vestments are until after you actually NAME all this "innovation" brought about by the beatles...

Let me ask you a serious question...were you born an obstinate asshole, raised to be one or do you have undiagnosed ODD? REALLY...

Yea, the Beatles were just a tiny blip on the screen of music and culture...that's why there has been a Beatle song playing somewhere on this planet every minute of every day since the early 1960's...go figure Einstein...

Let me ask you a serious question...were you born an obstinate asshole, raised to be one or do you have undiagnosed ODD? REALLY...

Yea, the Beatles were just a tiny blip on the screen of music and culture...that's why there has been a Beatle song playing somewhere on this planet every minute of every day since the early 1960's...go figure Einstein...

That sure as FUCK doesn't look like a list of all these "innovations" I keep hearing about. Do you want to try again or just sit there and cry because I'm batting you around like a cat does a mouse?

come on, dude... LIST these innovations. I DARE you. Popularity doesn't mean shit. Hell, at one time Milli Vanilli was popular. Whoopty fucking do.

That sure as FUCK doesn't look like a list of all these "innovations" I keep hearing about. Do you want to try again or just sit there and cry because I'm batting you around like a cat does a mouse?

come on, dude... LIST these innovations. I DARE you. Popularity doesn't mean shit. Hell, at one time Milli Vanilli was popular. Whoopty fucking do.

What's going on here is a mature adult arguing with a snotty nosed brat. The brat is YOU...

Cat & mouse? Really? Then WHY do you keep elevating mice to the level of the BIGGEST cat you moron?

Human being don't listen to music for innovation, they listen to great music...the Beatles composed and created GREAT music...

Why don't you provide who you believe blows away the Beatles...it should be 'enlightening'

What's going on here is a mature adult arguing with a snotty nosed brat. The brat is YOU...

Cat & mouse? Really? Then WHY do you keep elevating mice to the level of the BIGGEST cat you moron?

Human being don't listen to music for innovation, they listen to great music...the Beatles composed and created GREAT music...

Why don't you provide who you believe blows away the Beatles...it should be 'enlightening'

No, what is going on here is that I'm calling you out to list the specific "innovations" (your word) that the beatles gave the world and, instead of acting like you have any kind of consistency or fucking musical fortitude beyond name dropping lame shit and acting like your geriatric fixation on the music of your youth means more than it does, you keep dodging the question. GOSH. I WONDER WHY.

:rofl:

Your opinion of what makes music great means two things outside of your own ears: jack and shit. Now, YOU stated earlier that the Beatles were innovative. So, man up, motherfucker. LIST these innovations. Crying about how i'm treating you in this thread might work in the pudding line but color me unimpressed. Trying to dance around YOUR statement by declaring that, all of a sudden, I"M the one with something to prove just makes your part in this thread all the more laughably pathetic.

Now, are you going to start listing shit or are you done acting like you know what the fuck you are talking about?

"I Feel Fine" - 1st constructive use of feedback in a recording by anybody.

2. "Rain" - 1st experiment by the band with backwards recording.

3. "Tomorrow Never Knows" - 1st use of tape loop techniques by the band.

The Beatles' recordings also utilized such things as varispeed recording (vocals on "When I'm 64", among others), automatic double-tracking ("Rain" again, among others), linking multiple tape recorders together in sync to increase the number of tracks in the finished recording (most of the "Sgt. Pepper" album), etc. "I Want To Hold Your Hand" was probably one of the first singles to be recorded with a 4-track, as opposed to mono or 2-track.

The Beatles' recordings also utilized such things as varispeed recording (vocals on "When I'm 64", among others), automatic double-tracking ("Rain" again, among others), linking multiple tape recorders together in sync to increase the number of tracks in the finished recording (most of the "Sgt. Pepper" album), etc. "I Want To Hold Your Hand" was probably one of the first singles to be recorded with a 4-track, as opposed to mono or 2-track.

You might want to watch The Language of Music and get back to me on that.

Tom Dowd and the Language of Music - Home

You might want to watch The Language of Music and get back to me on that.

Tom Dowd and the Language of Music - Home

then again, i might not.

Tom Dowd. enjoy.

Now, i'm still wating for some giant list of innovations beyond beatle worship....

Tom Dowd. enjoy.

Now, i'm still wating for some giant list of innovations beyond beatle worship....

i'm familiar with tom dowd- he did some great work, which of course takes nothing away from what the beatles and george martin did.

frankly, i'm not interested enough to pursue it.

Tom Dowd. enjoy.

i'm familiar with tom dowd- he did some great work, which of course takes nothing away from what the beatles and george martin did.

the beatles and george martin doing nothing that Brian Wilson hadn't already put into play...

the unabashed beatle worship always cracks me up. sure, they had some good music.. but pretending as if they are the second coming of the lord jesus christ in relation to musical offerings has always struck me as hilarious.

Tom Dowd. enjoy.

the beatles and george martin doing nothing that Brian Wilson hadn't already put into play...

the unabashed beatle worship always cracks me up. sure, they had some good music.. but pretending as if they are the second coming of the lord jesus christ in relation to musical offerings has always struck me as hilarious.

me too and if i'd seen any in this thread, i would have pointed it out.

Forum List

Back