Rock guitarist Santana's furious words during celebration!

I saw Joe Satriani in concert once.

After 20 minutes it was like: Ok Ok we get it, you're a fucking amazing guitar virtuoso. Now play something we can fucking tap our feet to already you pretentious dickwad!

That said, I do like his work with Chickenfoot.

I cannot help but think his attitude might be very different if he was NOT a world class guitar player but was competing for those shit jobs.

A baseball game looks a lot different from the bleachers than it does from the SKY BOX seats.

I cannot help but think his attitude might be very different if he was NOT a world class guitar player but was competing for those shit jobs.

Your oft demonstrated command of the obvious can be refreshingly insightful, or at times painfully banal.

Regardless, I still read most of your posts so I must think you're doing something right.

Ahhhhh Yes. Another murkin bleateth. Don't forget to wipe.
100 million records and ten Grammy's. It would appear a few people disagree.
I'm one of the few.

Ever since Les Paul introduced the electrified guitar I have despised the amplified twanging and boinging of these exalted noisemakers that passes for guitar-playing. The popularity of most of these supposed "musicians" is tribute to declining taste and an insult to such truly great guitarists as Carlos Montoya, Pepe Romero and many others whose true talent is comparatively ignored.

The electric guitar is to the classical acoustic what the kazoo is to the saxophone.

Bye Santana. You used to be cool. Now you're just a blowhard that can play a great guitar.

He's not that great of a guitarist, although he thinks he is. He did an album with John McLaughlin in 1973. John was clearly the master and Carlos was a mere beginner. Santana hasn't improved much since then.
The album was called "Welcome" and there is a great track called "Flame/Sky."

I was following both guitarists since the 1960s and it was Sri Chinmoy who brought the two together and nicknamed McLaughlin "Flame" and Santana "Sky." They both benefited from each other.

McLaughlin had great speed and technique but no sense of melody, Santana had a great sense of melody but little technique or speed. McLaughlin became more melodic and Santana improved his technique.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ta-mbMowGTM]YouTube - SANTANA, Flame Sky (Part I)[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYZtNeiqZHY&feature=related]YouTube - SANTANA, Flame Sky (Part II)[/ame]

I'm sure you are familiar with Santana pre McLaughlin, here is McLaughlin pre Santana:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hl6Bd-7a1c8]YouTube - JOHN McLAUGHLIN, Arjen's Bag[/ame]

I can just pictur Mike sitting in his parlor... spinning up the Victrola and sipping a Sazarac.

Personally I don't really care what he thinks. His status as a Hispanic and a rock star gives him a bully pulpit to espouse anything he desires and I do not blame him for using it. I blame the people who allow these citizens to have a bully pulpit!

I still like his music, particularly "Black Magic Woman."

Hey Carlos......shut up and play. I didn't pay these outrageous ticket prices to give union workers jobs to set your equipment up to listen to your politics. Paly the damn ax and shut the hell up.

I have always considered Carlos Santana one of the all time greats. And I still do.

However, He, and other entertainers should STFU and simply play.

Didn't know he was a dumb ass racist.

Just shut up and play your guitar, Carlos.

Christ man, you're fuckin' loaded........Pay those illegal bastards yourself, and shut the fuck up.

he should stfu and sing.
Free speech CON$ervoFascist style!

Only GOP hate radio shills are free to say anything they want. Can you imagine the shit fit these same CON$ would have if Libs said the same thing to their MessiahRushie! Oh wait, that did happen and the CON$ accused the Libs of being against free speech.

It seems only CON$ can speak freely and only CON$ can criticize what others say.

The electric guitar is to the classical acoustic what the kazoo is to the saxophone.

:lol:

Dude, how old are you? 175?
I'm old enough to remember when popular music was created by true musicians whose purpose was to entertain rather than incite.

When I compare the artfully sustained melody, harmony and sophisticated rhythms that typified the "big band" era to the obnoxious dissonance of today's "heavy metal" there is little question that this noise is evidence of the descent of American society into absolute madness. This so-called "music" is the sound of violent schizophrenic impulse. It's not surprising that such maniacal squawking and pounding is produced by freakish characters who look like escaped lunatics and leap about on stage like overdosed manic cases.

It's true. I'm an old fart. But what I see and hear today leaves me content with the fact that I won't be around much longer.

Hey Mike.. I think I know what you are saying, but music evolves like everything else. Looka, I'm 50, and I find a lot of the "speed metal" stuff coming out today with the same riffs over and over and over and screaming isn't my thing. Now with that said, I can listen to some very heavy electric stuff that I believe is structurally, well written music with good hooks and good style.

At the same time, I also appreciate Sarah McLachlan.

I'm old enough to remember when popular music was created by true musicians whose purpose was to entertain rather than incite.

When I compare the artfully sustained melody, harmony and sophisticated rhythms that typified the "big band" era to the obnoxious dissonance of today's "heavy metal" there is little question that this noise is evidence of the descent of American society into absolute madness. This so-called "music" is the sound of violent schizophrenic impulse. It's not surprising that such maniacal squawking and pounding is produced by freakish characters who look like escaped lunatics and leap about on stage like overdosed manic cases.

It's true. I'm an old fart. But what I see and hear today leaves me content with the fact that I won't be around much longer.
You must hate today's Jazz too, it has also become electrified. It still has melody and harmony working together in rhythm, but it IS electric.

Captain Senior Mouse grabs me as much today as Sing, Sing, Sing did back then. I still love both, but I see them as different and don't try to equate them. I just sit back and enjoy them both.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcWkhWbRvC0]YouTube - Captain Senor Mouse[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbzXS49937A&feature=related]YouTube - Benny Goodman Live at Carnegie Hall 1938[/ame]

To each his own, live and let live.....but don't listen to musicians for poloitical advice.

To each his own, live and let live.....but don't listen to musicians for poloitical advice.

Or actors...

Hey Mike, live dangerously and give some alternate music a chance. This track features a hollow body guitar, so it has the sound of an acoustic guitar, but amplified to keep up with the great rhythm of the drums.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a82X-ibfedg]YouTube - Neal Schon - Espanique[/ame]

Personally I don't really care what he thinks. His status as a Hispanic and a rock star gives him a bully pulpit to espouse anything he desires and I do not blame him for using it. I blame the people who allow these citizens to have a bully pulpit!

Hey Carlos......shut up and play. I didn't pay these outrageous ticket prices to give union workers jobs to set your equipment up to listen to your politics. Paly the damn ax and shut the hell up.

Just shut up and play your guitar, Carlos.

Christ man, you're fuckin' loaded........Pay those illegal bastards yourself, and shut the fuck up.

he should stfu and sing.

Only GOP hate radio shills are free to say anything they want. Can you imagine the shit fit these same CON$ would have if Libs said the same thing to their MessiahRushie! Oh wait, that did happen and the CON$ accused the Libs of being against free speech.

It seems only CON$ can speak freely and only CON$ can criticize what others say.

No, entertainers should entertain. I don't care what they have to say about politics unless they are willing to put their name on the ballot. A mechanic should mechanic, A plumber should plumb, and a politician should flap his jaws. Talking heads are just talking heads.

he should stfu and sing.

No, entertainers should entertain. I don't care what they have to say about politics unless they are willing to put their name on the ballot. A mechanic should mechanic, A plumber should plumb, and a politician should flap his jaws. Talking heads are just talking heads.
Sorry, but free speech is for everyone including entertainers, mechanics, plumbers, etc., and if it's not than GOP hate radio shock jocks should be muzzled too.

Forum List

Back