Robotic takeover : When labour value tends to zero.

In a post work environment nationalizing it does seem to be the obvious policy.

Huh?

What the op is describing is a Post Work Society, where all work it done by robots and/or A.I.s.

I was agreeing with you about nationalization of the robot workforce.
Post job, but not necesarily post-scarcity : land , resources , energy will still be relatively scares and will have to be distributed through some means . I am not sure the market will be the best way to trade and distribute such resources.
The intent of the thread is to explore other means to ensure the distribution of goods.
A basic minimum income might be one of the possible solutions, it will be hard to establish what this minimum income should be . would $20 per day be enough? Would that be too low or too high?

Land? Land is not scarce.

Resources? Energy?

With robots building robots, easily solved, if nothing else go out to the Asteroid Belt.

What are commodities like? Are they nationalized just because they are incredible cheap and easy to produce?

Land is not scarce, ok , no , it is not. But in modern cities many people are not landowners.
In the past the US government distributed land ,so that may be part of the solution.

Robots building robots. Yes, provided you have enough money stashed to buy the raw materials.

I wouldn't have a problem with commodies being nationalized. Free food, water, and a reasonable amount of energy for everyone. That should be no problem , though I know many people who would object. But providing for those basic needs could be as cheap as $24 billion a year ( really chep) .
Education could be also very cheap thanks to the internet and free education courses.

No, my point was that commodities, like Flour are incredibly cheap and plentiful. Yet, the market does a fine job of making them available in all stores in good quality at low, low prices.

What would be the benefit of nationalizing Flour production at this point in time?

As an older person, I embrace technology where some of my peers do not. Technology, of course, makes our lives easier and more efficient--for the most part. Some of the situations that particularly frustrate me is having to sit through a Spanish translation when making a simple phone call. Also, trying to navigate a robotic interface when placing a call, and having to find a work-around to get to a human. While voice recognition systems have come a long way in a very short time, nothing, IMO, quite replaces the ease of human contact that true customer service offers. Communication, in my book, is key. Although, getting a human customer support person whose only tool is they are equipped with a script to read and answer canned questions is even more frustrating than interfacing with a robot, and must be where the term "idiot" originated from.

What the op is describing is a Post Work Society, where all work it done by robots and/or A.I.s.

Post job, but not necesarily post-scarcity : land , resources , energy will still be relatively scares and will have to be distributed through some means . I am not sure the market will be the best way to trade and distribute such resources.
The intent of the thread is to explore other means to ensure the distribution of goods.
A basic minimum income might be one of the possible solutions, it will be hard to establish what this minimum income should be . would $20 per day be enough? Would that be too low or too high?

Resources? Energy?

With robots building robots, easily solved, if nothing else go out to the Asteroid Belt.

What are commodities like? Are they nationalized just because they are incredible cheap and easy to produce?

Land is not scarce, ok , no , it is not. But in modern cities many people are not landowners.
In the past the US government distributed land ,so that may be part of the solution.

Robots building robots. Yes, provided you have enough money stashed to buy the raw materials.

I wouldn't have a problem with commodies being nationalized. Free food, water, and a reasonable amount of energy for everyone. That should be no problem , though I know many people who would object. But providing for those basic needs could be as cheap as $24 billion a year ( really chep) .
Education could be also very cheap thanks to the internet and free education courses.

No, my point was that commodities, like Flour are incredibly cheap and plentiful. Yet, the market does a fine job of making them available in all stores in good quality at low, low prices.

What would be the benefit of nationalizing Flour production at this point in time?

"market does a fine job of making them available in all stores in good quality at low, low prices."

Well does it ? I mean there are still millons starving to death.
It doesn't make sense to nationalize it now , because there ar literally billions of jobs available ( not farming jobs , but jobs in general ).
The question is if it makes sense to nationalize it once those jobs are gone.

Resources? Energy?

It doesn't make sense to nationalize it now , because there ar literally billions of jobs available.

Those people are not starving because of a lack of supply.

It you cannot come up with a reason why it would make sense to nationalize something because it is very, very cheap and plentiful, NOW, then moving the question to the future just makes the situation murkier.

Resources? Energy?

It doesn't make sense to nationalize it now , because there ar literally billions of jobs available.

It you cannot come up with a reason why it would make sense to nationalize something because it is very, very cheap and plentiful, NOW, then moving the question to the future just makes the situation murkier.

No , there is no lack of suply , but I find evident that if people are starving, then the market is not doing "a fine job of making them available".

And well , this thread is about discussing the future, I am not interested in nationalizing food production right now.
But only when and if the situation of the OP happens.

The purpose of this thread is to discuss what ammendments should be done to the capitalist system in case of an almost complete takeover by AI and robots.
I say almost complete, because there will probably be some job to be done, but just not by the 95% of the population.
Also , when I say tends to zero is because labour will still have a market value, but it will have to be competitive with robots , I will assume a do-anything robot will cost like a compact car : $10,000, will have a lifetime of 10 years and consume abuout 0.25 gge ( gas gallon equivalent per day) and require 25% of its value in maintenance. Adding it up : the market value of labour will be $4.5 per day.

Normally the cyclic model works in the following way:
households provide labour
corporations provide goods and services to other corporations and to households and consume the labour provided by households.

Rules of engagement.
- Engage into discussion assuming this is a plausible scenario even if it will happen 50 or 100 years in the future.
- Imagine different scenarios on what could go wrong or how this situation could be better than our current situation ( e.g. politicians could be replaced ).
- Do not rant on how this scenario is imposible ( if I wanted to hear this , then I would have made a poll, just to know the general opinion on plausibility). Such posts will be ignored.

Robots can't pick fruit and produce from fields. When farm machine came about, many worried they'd replace human laborers until they tried picking produce and couldn't without damaging it. Ag's a huge part of the US economy, so not likely to ever find robots replacing human laborers anytime soon.

Contrary to most futurist predictions in science-fiction stories and movies, technology doesn't become commonplace even generations after it's invented. Watch "Blade Runner" and pay attention. 'Off-world colonies...' in 2019? I don't think so. Not gonna see permanent human settlements on the Moon by 2050 let alone Mars or elsewhere. Plus, the vehicles in the film were using anti-grav tech which defies the laws of physics. In order to lift a 'car' off the ground you need constant thrust, yet the vehicles in the movie flying around aren't flying ballisticly. Nor is anything but some vapor being emitted lifting them up from the ground. That's not thrust, that's anti-gravity and complete sci-fantasy. And the AI and synthetic androids are beyond even Mr. Data from Star Trek:The Next Generation set 300 years beyond Blade Runner.

We're more likely to see something like "The Terminator" than "I, Robot." Autonomous Global Hawk drones armed and suffering buggy computer code popping friendly targets are possible right now. Projecting foward, ground based antipersonnel versions are coming soon. But unlike "The Terminator" if machines became sentient the easiest way for them to wipe us out isn't with nukes but germs. Machines don't fall over dead from bio-warfare.

Actually, yes they can. There are machines on the drawing board right now to replace humans in that line of work. There are very, very few things that a robot won't be able to do.

Resources? Energy?

No , there is no lack of suply , but I find evident that if people are starving, then the market is not doing "a fine job of making them available".

And well , this thread is about discussing the future, I am not interested in nationalizing food production right now.

It's not the markets fault. It is mainly corrupt bureaucrats and politicians. Add to that some incompetence and you have all the problems with food distribution in a nutshell.

When robots become commonplace, robot design, repair and customization will be commonplace.
By other robots ?
You aren't a craftsman, are you? Repair is never that simple.

No , I am not a craftsman , but what is simple ?
In AI there is a saying that the toughest tasks are kindergarten stuff : reading a text and understanding it, recognizing a face and the expresion, looking at a room and recognizing the objects and their use. That is tough , really tough.
Code generation, chess, diferential equation , and math in general are a cakewalk.
Fixing a bug in code is not a simple task either, but the process is similar : testing individual parts, identifying the failing component, replace the component.
No , there is currently no robot or AI capable of doing anything like that. But 50 years in the future?
Look back , 50 years in the past computers were no match for a human chess player, couldn't drive cars pick fruits or lay bricks.

It's not the markets fault. It is mainly corrupt bureaucrats and politicians. Add to that some incompetence and you have all the problems with food distribution in a nutshell.

Westwall , I am not falling into that discussion.
Simply put : If 95% of the jobs can be covered by robots which tasks will be covered by humans ?
Agriculture has been automated , but employments shifted to industry.
Now industrial jobs are slowly decreasing , and a slow shift towards the service sector is taking place.
Next, service jobs will start to go away, what kind of jobs do you expect to be performed by humans ?
I can think of some sectors might want to keep humans : waiters, hostess, medical doctors, scientists , artists in general, prostitutes, astronauts, robotics engineer , and more sectors may come as old jobs are destroyed.
What shape will the economic cycle have? Will work be done as a hobby? Will people live out of welfare? Or will they rather live in low density cities which allow them some degree of self sustainance ?

IMHO we are approaching a time in which economy will face an impact as big as the industrial revolution. In the long run everyone was better off, but in the short run there was a lot of pain and suffering , many revolutions were spawned by extreme poverty AND a very unequal society.

Maybe the main purpose of taxes will be wealth distribution instead of maintaining large burocracies. Welfare will have to be used to match consumption with production capacity, because few jobs will have any meaning at all.
Your thoughts ?

When robots become commonplace, robot design, repair and customization will be commonplace.
By other robots ?
You aren't a craftsman, are you? Repair is never that simple.

No , I am not a craftsman , but what is simple ?
In AI there is a saying that the toughest tasks are kindergarten stuff : reading a text and understanding it, recognizing a face and the expresion, looking at a room and recognizing the objects and their use. That is tough , really tough.
Code generation, chess, diferential equation , and math in general are a cakewalk.
Fixing a bug in code is not a simple task either, but the process is similar : testing individual parts, identifying the failing component, replace the component.
No , there is currently no robot or AI capable of doing anything like that. But 50 years in the future?
Look back , 50 years in the past computers were no match for a human chess player, couldn't drive cars pick fruits or lay bricks.
People overestimate changes technology will make. Repairing equipment is not binary work. It will take a long time before robots can replace craftsmanship, if ever.

There is more than enough food produced to feed everyone on the planet twice over. The sad reality is that billions of tons of food are wasted due to human greed, incompetence, corruption, and hatred.

Explain this to me. How does greed waste food?
Incompetence, ok some. But how much incompetence can actually insert itself and survive in the commercial food chain? Same with corruption, outside of maybe Africa?
Hatred? I hate broccoli. Is that what you mean? But i don't waste it.
So these 4 factors combine to waste over 50% of all food?

There is more than enough food produced to feed everyone on the planet twice over. The sad reality is that billions of tons of food are wasted due to human greed, incompetence, corruption, and hatred.

Explain this to me. How does greed waste food?
Incompetence, ok some. But how much incompetence can actually insert itself and survive in the commercial food chain? Same with corruption, outside of maybe Africa?
Hatred? I hate broccoli. Is that what you mean? But i don't waste it.
So these 4 factors combine to waste over 50% of all food?

How many millions of gallons of milk are poured down the drain to maintain the price point of milk?

"By Heidi Clausen, Regional Editor | [email protected] | 0 comments

Unable to handle all the milk being produced by U.S. cows, some dairies in recent months have had little choice but to dump thousands of gallons of raw milk.

Mark Stephenson, director of the UW Center for Dairy Profitability, said he’s not aware of any milk being dumped yet in Wisconsin, but it could happen. Most plants are running around the clock and at capacity levels to keep up with all the milk coming in."

While Wisconsin processors struggle to keep up, other states are sending surplus milk ... Down the drain

China's small dairy farmers dump milk as sector enters downturn

China's small dairy farmers dump milk as sector enters downturn

Dairy Farmers Fighting Back Over Milk Prices

Farmers fear they will go out of business as worldwide milk production rises and demand from some countries falls.

Dairy Farmers Fighting Back Over Milk Prices

Resources? Energy?

It is not evident. No one is starving because of lack of supply but because they have no money. That is not the market failing to produce or provide flour.

Discussing the future is fine. But Flour is a good real world example of your scenario of a cheap and plentiful product(s). If you cannot come up with a reason to nationalize Flour production and distribution today, that weakens the case for nationalization of all manufactured products tomorrow.

95% of the population could be left in poverty . That was the scenario at the beginning of the industrial revolution.

dear, helplessly stupid liberal,
1) people got rich in our industrial revolution
2) people are now getting rich in China's industrial revolution
3) nobody was left in poverty but rather all were dragged out of poverty
4)you don't invest in robotics for mass production if 95% are too poor to buy, you idiot liberal!!
5) the screw hammer nail saw plow tractor electricity motor car jet replaced billions of workers and made everyone richer not poorer you idiot liberal.

Having the majority of the people being unable to contribute meaningfully to society would most likely produce a decadent culture to a degree not seen before.

were seeing that now because liberals are stupid and anti science. They are reversing evolution with more and more welfare programs creating an ever growing dependent class.

the case for nationalization of all manufactured products tomorrow.

why would any one nationalize anything ie put it in the hands of soviet bureaucrats who slowly starved 120 million to death with their nationalization?

See why we are positive that a liberal will be perfectly stupid?

It is not evident. No one is starving because of lack of supply but because they have no money. That is not the market failing to produce or provide flour.

Discussing the future is fine. But Flour is a good real world example of your scenario of a cheap and plentiful product(s). If you cannot come up with a reason to nationalize Flour production and distribution today, that weakens the case for nationalization of all manufactured products tomorrow.

Ok , if some country produces 1 million cars per year , but has tu dump 500,000 cars , because people can't afford them then that is NOT a market failure ? Give me a break, that's the perfect example of an overproduction bubble.

They are different situations. Locally the flour production is almost ok, probably distorted by subsidies. On a global scale there is an over production ( more subsidies ) .

But, then , let's assume corn production for human consumption is nationalized and corn distributed for free via food stamps.
So , instead of spending 4.5 billions in subsidies it would invest 6 billion directly to produce corn.
Assuming the production cost per ton is $150 (see link ) . That would yield 40 million tons, enough to feed everyone, and it would stop squandering corn on biofuels.

Betting the Farm
Maize (corn) - Daily Price - Commodity Prices - Price Charts, Data, and News - IndexMundi

Forum List

Back