RJ Young EJ Bradford was killed by police for being a black male gun owner. That could have been me

Sorry, I forgot to add some personal commentary on this story. I completely understand why any black man who is legally allowed to carry, either openly or concealed, would opt to do so and I certainly can understand why.

Opinion | What becoming an NRA-certified instructor taught me about gun-owning while black

I spent hours becoming so proficient that the National Rifle Association awarded me instructor status. Here's why I don't carry a gun in public.

By RJ Young, author of "Let It Bang: A Young Black Man's Reluctant Odyssey Into Guns"
When Emantic "EJ" Bradford was mistakenly shot in the face by an Alabama police officer in a mall earlier this month, I was reminded of what a friend told me when I was researching my book, "Let It Bang," about becoming a licensed gun owner. "Your book is always going to be timely because police not going to stop because they're not going to stop shooting black men," he said.

That was years ago.

21-year-old Bradford was a black man just like Philando Castile; Castile was shot down in his car in the summer of 2016 after calmly and correctly notifying officers that he was a gun owner. Meanwhile, this summer, 17-year-old Antwon Rose II and 26-year-old Botham Shem Jean were shot and killed — both unarmed — by people sworn to protect and serve them. I'm also a black man, and all of these deaths terrify me.

I don't carry a handgun because through the process of learning to become proficient with one, I learned just how dangerous being near one has become for a person like me.

I'm lawfully licensed in the state of Oklahoma to carry a concealed handgun. I spent hours and hours at a gun range, becoming so proficient that the National Rifle Association awarded me instructor status. And yet I don't carry a gun in public. I don't even keep a loaded gun in my apartment. If not for the knowledge that the rights provided to me by the Second Amendment were once stripped from men who look like me, I would no longer even own my Glock 17 and Glock 26 weapons. These guns have already served the purpose I bought them for, which was to try to better understand and get to know the kind of people who loved them and used them — people I had little in common with.

But most importantly, I don't carry a handgun because through the process of learning to become proficient with one, I learned just how dangerous being near one has become for a person like me.​
Well don’t get discouraged. Tomorrow’s another day.

As usual, anytime a thread about black people appears, the 3 biased, black activists of USMB appear, with tales of how awfully they are oppressed by society. Now that we've heard the OP carry on the 2016 Obama/Sharpton race hustlers campaign against cops (particularly white ones), and using 3 of the worst examples (Castille, Rose, and Jean) I could think of, maybe it's time to shed some light here.

1. Castille was shot because he broke the fundamental rule to never allow your hands to disappear from the view of a police officer with a gun in his hand (especially by reaching into your jacket). This is something that could be taught in schools in one minute, yet never is, because our schools are overrun by liberal teachers and administrators, who are clueless regarding guns and police.

2. Antwon Rose II - this is the only one of the 3 examples where the cop may have been at fault. The Fleeing felon rule does give cops the right to shoot a fleeing suspect if/when the cop ascertains that the suspect is a felon (something which the cop really had no knowledge of, even though Rose was found with a 9MM clip in his pocket, matching 9MM pistol found in the car) Carrying a pistol clip usually indicates the guy did have possession of the pistol, but still there isn't any proof of that, and Rose didn't have the gun when he was shot. Conclusion: cop may have been malicious in shooting Rose, but more likely was just stupid, doing lousy, impetuous police work.

3. Botham Jean - Both the cop and the shooting victim appear to have been good people, who came together under a very unfortunate circumstance. Black activists were quick to start protesting even before knowing what specifically happened. For them, all that was necessary was to hear from the racist fool, Benjamin Crump, and that was enough.

Lost in the haze of anger and racial paranoia was the simple facts.To these protestors and maybe the 3 USMB stooges in this thread, Amber Guyger will never be seen as a tired woman coming home from work (a 15 hour shift), and making a tragic and deadly mistake, which isn't that hard to make.

I myself made a similar mistake once, when coming home from a 16 hour security supervisor shift, and on a foggy, early 4 AM morning, parked my car in the wrong parking spot (the one adjacent to mine). My car was towed, and it was hell to get it back.

Reading the reports of this case, it appears that Guyger (with a clean 4 year record as a cop) really did think it was her apartment, with an intruder inside, who was not responding to her spoken words.

It seems the shooting of Jean was incorrect, but not of criminal intent, and therefore should probably not have resulted in charges against her, but I'm not surprised that it did with the Dallas Police Dept being overseen by a Democrat mayor, heavily influenced by a hysterical, black community, in large part more driven by their own racial and anti-police prejudices, than anything akin to objective reason. The idea that Guyger might have shot Jean criminally, is ludicrous. Oh sure, every cop in America, want to get themselves arrested for shooting somebody maliciously, right ? :right: :rolleyes:
Do you acknowledge that its different for blacks who openly carry than for whites?

Your excuse misses some critical facts, he told the police he had a gun. Another is the reason for the stop. A brake light not working. Certainly that should have made the officer fear danger. *sarcasm* Of course he was going to pull out a gun and try shooting a cop in front of his child then proceed on a high speed attempt to get away with his woman and child in the car eligible to be shot. For a non functioning brake light. So like I said, your post is bullshit.
That's what yours is. What I said is not an "excuse" because the cop didn't do anything wrong. None if what you said has anything to do with the shooting. And you post confirms even more what I said about OMISSION "education", by ignorant liberals, which doesn't teach the all-important lesson of what to do (and what NOT to do) when in confrontation with police.

Again, the key factor is that Castille reached into his jacket. You CAN'T DO THAT when talking to a cop, if you do, YOU'RE DEAD. Period. It's not up to the cop to assess a situation based on who else is in the car or anything like that. If a suspect (for whatever reason) allows his hand to disappear from view, the cop had NO TIME to defend himself, if a gun were to be pulled out. That gun could be fired in a 1/2 second. It's not the cop's job to gamble with his life.

All police academies teach that if hand disappears, SHOOT. Some cops who did not follow this basic rule, are now dead.

Your attempt to dismiss the unlawful taking of the lives of these men simply due to them being black is beyond heinous but you are gravely mistaken (as usual) on one thing. Guyer did not accidentally shoot Jean, she deliberately shot & killed him. You'd have to be the most gullible weenie on the planet to believe that bullshit story she spun but even if she was wrong about where she thouoght she was or the circumstances, normal people don't respond the way she did. I know Texas is different but generally you don't get to just kill someone because they're somewhere you don't expect them to be, generally there has to be a threat - they have to present a threat to you. And she's a police officer, if she honestly though there was someone in her home or she came home and her door that she locked was open or ajar, even the police teach us, DON'T GO IN!. Call the police! She should have called for backup.

And are you aware of the fact that she had lodged previous noise complaints against Jean? That alone is motivation for someone who's pissed off to at least seek a confrontation.

As far as EJ Bradford, his dad is a police officer so you know his dad had the talk with him and coached him on carrying a weapon.
You are expressing exactly the racist, paranoic hysteria that I just mentioned. What an idiotic thing to say that these men were shot because they were black. I explained how and why they were shot, but you CHOOSE to go with this dopey racial attitude about it.

Oh yeah sure, Guyger shot Jean because he was black and she didn't like him, Are you nuts ? You think she would bring all this on herself willingly just because of a neighbor being noisy at times > Are you feeling OK ?

And don't give me this " due to them being black" crap. What would you say about white guys who get shot and killed under similar circumstances > did they get shot because they were white ? Stop talking stupid.

As for EJ Bradford, he also did something wrong. He displayed his gun in front of a cop, before anything has been done to determine his identity I also have a CCW weapon license, and I carry a gun everywhere I go. I have sense enough to know that if something goes down, yes, I will take action to defend innocent people, BUT once a cop is on the scene my gun must immediately be put away, and let the cop handle it. Bradford didn't do that.

Thee people are getting shot not because they're black, (whites get shot the same way). They all are getting shot because they are untrained in how to behave with police present, and they are ignorant and stupid. Solution: don't be stupid.

To all you racist loons who think cops are shooting people because they're black, this video is the lesson your ignorant, liberal teachers failed to teach you. It's a video of a suspect being shot dead by police. Nobody in the video is black. Everyone is white.

The suspect is shot because he put his hands behind him (twice), The first time the cop amazingly did not shoot the suspect (when actually he should have). The second time the guy put his hand behind him, the cop fired. That act of putting a hand out of view, could have resulted in a cop shot dead. That's why the cop fired.

I trust you all are not too stupid to understand this. The video is more than 4 minutes, but it might be the most important video you ever see.

cop shoots supect crawling on ground - Bing video

“I don't carry a handgun because through the process of learning to become proficient with one, I learned just how dangerous being near one has become for a person like me.”

This is both unfortunate and unwarranted.

Now more than ever – in the age of Trump when rightwing bigots and racists believe they are at liberty to attack and kill African-Americans and other minorities – black men and women need to arm themselves in defense of attacks by rightwing bigots and racists.
You are a hysterical, paranoic, racist idiot.

I don't have to refute anything. It already has been,

You nut.
Not by saying one silly word. Obviously, you couldn't refute what I said, and if you don't know how to act in confrontation with cops, you better stay far away from them.

I don't have to refute anything. It already has been,

You nut.
Not by saying one silly word. Obviously, you couldn't refute what I said, and if you don't know how to act in confrontation with cops, you better stay far away from them.

I will not dignify the ramblings of a loon with more than 1 word.

“I don't carry a handgun because through the process of learning to become proficient with one, I learned just how dangerous being near one has become for a person like me.”

Now more than ever – in the age of Trump when rightwing bigots and racists believe they are at liberty to attack and kill African-Americans and other minorities – black men and women need to arm themselves in defense of attacks by rightwing bigots and racists.
Its a balancing act for Black people.

Your excuse misses some critical facts, he told the police he had a gun. Another is the reason for the stop. A brake light not working. Certainly that should have made the officer fear danger. *sarcasm* Of course he was going to pull out a gun and try shooting a cop in front of his child then proceed on a high speed attempt to get away with his woman and child in the car eligible to be shot. For a non functioning brake light. So like I said, your post is bullshit.
These racist bastards will jump through hoops to avoid the label of racist, even when all the evidence points towards it.

Yet, they always seem to find a way to point to Democrats as the blame.

But somehow that isn't seen as divisive by them.

They really are full of cow manure.

Yes, I'm looking at protectionist.

Last edited:

The only way we can survive open carrying is by going back to what The Black Panthers did, carry in groups. Like 10-20 at a time.

Then 1 racist cop can't handle that alone, he has to send for backup and get some more sensible heads involved.

What those brave and intelligent brothers and sisters of yesterday did worked. Its the only way brother.

Sorry, I forgot to add some personal commentary on this story. I completely understand why any black man who is legally allowed to carry, either openly or concealed, would opt to do so and I certainly can understand why.

Opinion | What becoming an NRA-certified instructor taught me about gun-owning while black

I spent hours becoming so proficient that the National Rifle Association awarded me instructor status. Here's why I don't carry a gun in public.

By RJ Young, author of "Let It Bang: A Young Black Man's Reluctant Odyssey Into Guns"
When Emantic "EJ" Bradford was mistakenly shot in the face by an Alabama police officer in a mall earlier this month, I was reminded of what a friend told me when I was researching my book, "Let It Bang," about becoming a licensed gun owner. "Your book is always going to be timely because police not going to stop because they're not going to stop shooting black men," he said.

That was years ago.

21-year-old Bradford was a black man just like Philando Castile; Castile was shot down in his car in the summer of 2016 after calmly and correctly notifying officers that he was a gun owner. Meanwhile, this summer, 17-year-old Antwon Rose II and 26-year-old Botham Shem Jean were shot and killed — both unarmed — by people sworn to protect and serve them. I'm also a black man, and all of these deaths terrify me.

I don't carry a handgun because through the process of learning to become proficient with one, I learned just how dangerous being near one has become for a person like me.

I'm lawfully licensed in the state of Oklahoma to carry a concealed handgun. I spent hours and hours at a gun range, becoming so proficient that the National Rifle Association awarded me instructor status. And yet I don't carry a gun in public. I don't even keep a loaded gun in my apartment. If not for the knowledge that the rights provided to me by the Second Amendment were once stripped from men who look like me, I would no longer even own my Glock 17 and Glock 26 weapons. These guns have already served the purpose I bought them for, which was to try to better understand and get to know the kind of people who loved them and used them — people I had little in common with.

But most importantly, I don't carry a handgun because through the process of learning to become proficient with one, I learned just how dangerous being near one has become for a person like me.​
We Can Take Them Out of the Jungle, But We Can't Take the Jungle Out of Them

People who look like you are far more violent than people who look like me. Sponsored by powerful tyrants within the White race, Blacks are allowed to be uncontrollably quick-tempered and to go postal over what they are told by the Whiteys Hating Whitey is "prejudice."

You are totally dishonest for not blaming the common behavior of your own race for any reaction to that, which you have to pay for. You better reform those thugs or we will soon crush you totally, the good with the bad, because blaming us and not them makes you an accessory to crime. Others who look like you act in an anti-social manner; the more you try to deflect from the behavior that rationally justifies racism, the guiltier you are.

The only way we can stop you from making scapegoats of Whites instead of admitting that your own kind give you a bad name is to directly attack the whole class that sponsors your unearned civil rights, which, in a free country, your uncivilized behavior would have long ago forfeited forever. You are just pawns and decoys; your insulting attitude is preached at us to prevent us from eliminating those who write all your dialogue for you.

That was years ago.

We Can Take Them Out of the Jungle, But We Can't Take the Jungle Out of Them

People who look like you are far more violent than people who look like me. Sponsored by powerful tyrants within the White race, Blacks are allowed to be uncontrollably quick-tempered and to go postal over what they are told by the Whiteys Hating Whitey is "prejudice."

You are totally dishonest for not blaming the common behavior of your own race for any reaction to that, which you have to pay for. You better reform those thugs or we will soon crush you totally, the good with the bad, because blaming us and not them makes you an accessory to crime. Others who look like you act in an anti-social manner; the more you try to deflect from the behavior that rationally justifies racism, the guiltier you are.

The only way we can stop you from making scapegoats of Whites instead of admitting that your own kind give you a bad name is to directly attack the whole class that sponsors your unearned civil rights, which, in a free country, your uncivilized behavior would have long ago forfeited forever. You are just pawns and decoys; your insulting attitude is preached at us to prevent us from eliminating those who write all your dialogue for you.
Whites are the most violent race on the face of the planet. There is no area of earth untouched by your savagery. You've got to be kidding or you are high if you actually believe any other race is more violent. :rolleyes:

Whites are the most violent race on the face of the planet. There is no area of earth untouched by your savagery. You've got to be kidding or you are high if you actually believe any other race is more violent. :rolleyes:
That modem Faulker going by the name of The Sage of Main Street has been huffing glue all day instead of doing what he's supposed to be doing on his trailer tractor.

Ms Guyger was indicted by the Harris County Grand Jury and will be tried for the murder of Mr. Jean. Your labeling Mr. Jeans' murder as incorrect is reprehesible.
If Ms Guyger is found guilty she should be sentenced as provided by law. Being tired or confused does not justify murder that is insulting to the victims family and the general public.
Only a total moron or liar would call this murder. If the political leaders in Dallas were not Democrats, she would not have been charged at all.
Would you have felt the same if the roles were reversed?