Rita now a cat. 3 !!!

dilloduck said:
Same with the shelters in Austin's schools--they're full of Mexicans who refuse to speak English but can hold out their hands and say "FEMA". ( They have no problem finding the food either)
Starting a rumor that the INS will start inspecting shelters will clean out the riff-raff in hours.

SA has been crawling with INS since about Thursday. :whip3:

GunnyL said:
The difference is, it never got THIS far in NO. The apparent failing to disaster evacuation plans, at least as far as the Texas Gulf Coast is concerned is that the highway infrastructure and availability of gasoline does not support the current population.

The people who stayed in Texas coastal cities did so because they either decided to, or physically could not get out. This as opposed to those in NO who never considered attempting to get themselves out.

Well this is one thing that Texas can learn from New Orleans. After the nightmare of traffic from Ivan last year, New Orleans had a contra flow plan on I-10 that worked pretty well. They opened all four lanes west to allow 100's of thousands of people to leave in a pretty ordely fashion. I didn't hear of anyone being stranded due to gasoline shortages. Now with the Houston and Galveston area you are talking millions so even with contra flow it may have been grid lock. Another thing that the New Orleans metro area did to lessen the grid lock is they called for evacuations one parish at a time starting with the lowest lying parishes first. That must have been a miserable
experience for those folks in Texas. You are in grid lock, running out of gas with your kids in the back.

The people in New Orleans that didn't get out didn't want to until they got scared. The Superdome was suppose to be only for the disabled and handicapped yet some people actually drove to the dome and parked their cars.

rcajun90 said:
Well this is one thing that Texas can learn from New Orleans. After the nightmare of traffic from Ivan last year, New Orleans had a contra flow plan on I-10 that worked pretty well. They opened all four lanes west to allow 100's of thousands of people to leave in a pretty ordely fashion. I didn't hear of anyone being stranded due to gasoline shortages. Now with the Houston and Galveston area you are talking millions so even with contra flow it may have been grid lock. Another thing that the New Orleans metro area did to lessen the grid lock is they called for evacuations one parish at a time starting with the lowest lying parishes first. That must have been a miserable
experience for those folks in Texas. You are in grid lock, running out of gas with your kids in the back.

The people in New Orleans that didn't get out didn't want to until they got scared. The Superdome was suppose to be only for the disabled and handicapped yet some people actually drove to the dome and parked their cars.

Reports are saying that close to three million people fled any idea how much gas that is. If you have an average of 4 to a car and those cars are averaging 10 miles(with airconditioning running and the cars not moving that is probably generous) to the gallon that is 750,000 cars and 37,500,000 gallons just to get out of Houston to Huntsville. A typical fuel station holds maybe 8,000 gallons altogether, if that much, so you would need 4,687 stations full just to handle the evaquatees. That doesn't leave any for regular traffic that stayed around. That is 15,000 fuel trucks that hold 2500 gallons each.
Blame the greedy asshole public for this type of shit. The Houston mayor did have an evacuation plan that was staggered according to zones the public didn't pay attention to it. I fly a lot, everytime we board an airplane they call out boarding by sections of rows from back to front, have you ever seen that work? That is only 130 people not a couple of million.
When a flight comes in late and there are passengers needing to connect the flight attendants will make an announcement to ask for those that don't have a connecting flight to stay seated and let the others in need deplane, I have never seen that work, ever! I am usually the last person off of the plane, I always have baggage so I know that it doesn't matter how late I get off, I will still be waiting at the baggage carrousel.That it just how it is the public are generally rude, discusting assholes that only think of themselves and that is when there is no pressure..
Texas doesn't have anything to learn from Louisiana.

sitarro said:
Reports are saying that close to three million people fled any idea how much gas that is. If you have an average of 4 to a car and those cars are averaging 10 miles(with airconditioning running and the cars not moving that is probably generous) to the gallon that is 750,000 cars and 37,500,000 gallons just to get out of Houston to Huntsville. A typical fuel station holds maybe 8,000 gallons altogether, if that much, so you would need 4,687 stations full just to handle the evaquatees. That doesn't leave any for regular traffic that stayed around. That is 15,000 fuel trucks that hold 2500 gallons each.
Blame the greedy asshole public for this type of shit. The Houston mayor did have an evacuation plan that was staggered according to zones the public didn't pay attention to it. I fly a lot, everytime we board an airplane they call out boarding by sections of rows from back to front, have you ever seen that work? That is only 130 people not a couple of million.
When a flight comes in late and there are passengers needing to connect the flight attendants will make an announcement to ask for those that don't have a connecting flight to stay seated and let the others in need deplane, I have never seen that work, ever! I am usually the last person off of the plane, I always have baggage so I know that it doesn't matter how late I get off, I will still be waiting at the baggage carrousel.That it just how it is the public are generally rude, discusting assholes that only think of themselves and that is when there is no pressure..
Texas doesn't have anything to learn from Louisiana.

Your hatred for Louisiana has been obvious since Katrnia. I know you said you went to USL but surely you have no compassion for your home state. That’s your problem not mine. If you let your rational mind listen you might see what I’m trying to say. Yes evacuating millions instead of thousands brings a whole new set of problems in shear numbers. However if Texas would have evacuated in stages like Louisiana (the state police would turn you around if they caught you leaving to early from a parish that didn’t yet have a mandatory evacuation) and used contra flow, surely the highways wouldn’t have been crowded and perhaps they could have replenished the gas stations in-between the evacuations. Perhaps have the National Guard bring in trucks and also randomly check peoples I.D. to see what counties they are coming from. Yes the public seldom does what it suppose to do no matter where you are from but if the word got out that they would be turned around, it might have helped. Didn’t you say in an earlier post that you would never evacuate again? I guess you are going to become one of those that don’t follow the rules. I believe we can all learn something new and something from each other. I’m sure that you went through what must have been a bit of hell. I’m sorry you and millions had to go through that. I’m glad that Rita spared the Houston and Galveston area of a direct hit and you are safe. Please reconsider your stance if asked to evacuate again with a cat. 4 or 5 bearing down on the Texas coast. My cousin stayed in Lake Charles for Rita and now he has tree in his house with no power and he is waiting for FEMA to arrive so he can eat. I said a while back that these things bring out the best and worst in people. I’m sorry you experienced the worst. My neighbors and I (some people I had never meet) got together with chainsaws and rakes to clear each others yards.

rcajun90 said:
Your hatred for Louisiana has been obvious since Katrnia. I know you said you went to USL but surely you have no compassion for your home state. That’s your problem not mine. If you let your rational mind listen you might see what I’m trying to say. Yes evacuating millions instead of thousands brings a whole new set of problems in shear numbers. However if Texas would have evacuated in stages like Louisiana (the state police would turn you around if they caught you leaving to early from a parish that didn’t yet have a mandatory evacuation) and used contra flow, surely the highways wouldn’t have been crowded and perhaps they could have replenished the gas stations in-between the evacuations. Perhaps have the National Guard bring in trucks and also randomly check peoples I.D. to see what counties they are coming from. Yes the public seldom does what it suppose to do no matter where you are from but if the word got out that they would be turned around, it might have helped. Didn’t you say in an earlier post that you would never evacuate again? I guess you are going to become one of those that don’t follow the rules. I believe we can all learn something new and something from each other. I’m sure that you went through what must have been a bit of hell. I’m sorry you and millions had to go through that. I’m glad that Rita spared the Houston and Galveston area of a direct hit and you are safe. Please reconsider your stance if asked to evacuate again with a cat. 4 or 5 bearing down on the Texas coast. My cousin stayed in Lake Charles for Rita and now he has tree in his house with no power and he is waiting for FEMA to arrive so he can eat. I said a while back that these things bring out the best and worst in people. I’m sorry you experienced the worst. My neighbors and I (some people I had never meet) got together with chainsaws and rakes to clear each others yards.

Yes I am embarrassed to admit that I was born in Louisiana. It has always been a corrupt obnoxious place. The fact that they would continue that bullshit Napoleanic law crap says a lot. It is hot, humid, full of water mochassins, mosquitoes, and alligator Gar. Most of the southern part of the state is a flood zone and the percentage of alcoholics is amazing. You can still get a huge mixed drink at drive thru bars and those drunks are driving next to you. The police are assholes especially state cops and the roads are full of pot holes. The Northern half of the state are hollier than thou Southern Baptist that are living so far in the past that they are 1 notch above the Muslims.
The only thing I would say New Orleans is good for is their Po'Boys, the rest of their creole polluted food sucks. Cajun music and Nawlins jazz hurts my ears and I wouldn't give a crap if I ever hear any of it again. They don't even have good crawfish anymore, they ship it all overseas.
I will say that I still like Lafayette, it is a city that doesn't take itself too seriously and you can still have some fun without getting your pockets picked(that may not be true anymore now that the riff raff from N.O. is there). The food is the real Cajun stuff not Paul Prudomme's blackened crap. And the women are still some of the most beautiful in the world. The coonass accent isn't nearly as obnoxious as that awful New Orleans/Boston shit. And Lafayette's Mardi Gras is still the best in the state.
I'm not a huge fan of Texas either but at least we have a Governor that doesn't start crying in the middle of a crisis and we are allowed to carry a concealed weapon, that is becoming a lot more important in this world. Houston even has a Democrat Mayor that is not only a great guy but is also a very effective leader. We definitely have too many illegals and something needs to be done now before I am forced to shoot one.
You didn't read what I said, there was a plan for the evacuation of low lying areas around the Texas coast. The public was told when to leave according to zones that were well publicized, they didn't(it helps if you speak english to understand the orders). There is simply not enough police or national guard to control millions, I showed you the math, the numbers were staggering. There was no way to supply that many gas guzzling cars and trucks fuel, none. The ignorant selfish public is to blame, no one else.
I also said I wasn't going to evacuate because I live 80 miles from the coast and it is high and dry. I didn't see where it was life threatening. I will not put myself into a situation where I live in a natural disaster waiting to happen.

Drive-thru bars?!!!

1132.gif

011.gif

The contra-flow may have gotten more people further away and got them there faster but ya gotta land some place and the problem would have only been shifted to shelters where thousands of people would have been out of thier cars and screaming to get in. I would rather be stuck in a long line of traffic and in my car than stuck where there was a thousand people OUT of thier cars and trying to get into a shelter not designed to hold over 200 or so.
They don't call em disasters for nothing but I prefer to look at this glass as half full.

Forum List

Back