Rita now a cat. 3 !!!

This will be nothing like Katrina..The TX Gov. is on the ball
and people left town. The Guard is near etc..THESE FOLKS HAD AND FOLLOWED A PLAN..simple ain't it?

Mr. P said:
and people left town. The Guard is near etc..THESE FOLKS HAD AND FOLLOWED A PLAN..simple ain't it?

LOL sounds like one of my posts. I'll tell you this though, evacuees can sure suck up all the gas and bottled water in sight!

Plus, Texas cops aren't real famous for their tolerance of knuckleheads. There'll be a lot less nonsense.

I DO have a theory though, but i'm going to wait and see if it plays out before I post it.

GunnyL said:
LOL sounds like one of my posts. I'll tell you this though, evacuees can sure suck up all the gas and bottled water in sight!

Plus, Texas cops aren't real famous for their tolerance of knuckleheads. There'll be a lot less nonsense.

I DO have a theory though, but i'm going to wait and see if it plays out before I post it.
Chicken, post it!! So we can bash or give you credit later! :dev3:

Mr. P said:

I guess it's not that simple. They just said on MSNBC that roughly 25,000 people in Beaumont couldn't get out and they are riding it out. That's a lot of people for a small city like Beaumont. Earlier in the day I also saw some poor lady from Beaumont waiting for a gas station to get gas so she could evacuate. I hope she made it out okay. However I hope you are right about the Texas government being on the ball and this will be nothing like Katrina.

rcajun90 said:
I guess it's not that simple. They just said on MSNBC that roughly 25,000 people in Beaumont couldn't get out and they are riding it out. That's a lot of people for a small city like Beaumont. Earlier in the day I also saw some poor lady from Beaumont waiting for a gas station to get gas so she could evacuate. I hope she made it out okay. However I hope you are right about the Texas government being on the ball and this will be nothing like Katrina.

everything ok where you are?

manu1959 said:
everything ok where you are?

Yes and thank you for asking. we are getting winds of 30-40 mph. I hope that all the trees that were going to fall fell for Katrina. The lights are also flickering. It's rather amazing to me that this storm is affecting us. Lake Charles is a good 3 and a half hour drive from here. If this storm wasn't freakishly huge we wouldn't be feeling anything.

Abbey Normal said:
Cajun, when this is all over, I think we should take up a collection and send you to the tranquil island of your choice. You are earning it.

No need for that. I have a prescription for Xanax. But thank you anyways. At 6:30 this morning we are still have gusts of 40 mph and some of those last night
I would guess were at least 60 mph. I'm almost 300 miles from where the eye made land fall. I haven't heard from my cousin but I hope he is okay and has decided he will never do this again. God bless all.

rcajun90 said:
No need for that. I have a prescription for Xanax. But thank you anyways. At 6:30 this morning we are still have gusts of 40 mph and some of those last night
I would guess were at least 60 mph. I'm almost 300 miles from where the eye made land fall. I haven't heard from my cousin but I hope he is okay and has decided he will never do this again. God bless all.

Morning rc--looks like we shared this one--
still to early to tell but it looks like mostly flooding--hard to tell til the sun comes up and assessments can be made. I'm sure there will be some areas that got hit pretty hard. Luckily for Austin it went far enough east to the point where we haven't even got rain yet.

dilloduck said:
Morning rc--looks like we shared this one--
still to early to tell but it looks like mostly flooding--hard to tell til the sun comes up and assessments can be made. I'm sure there will be some areas that got hit pretty hard. Luckily for Austin it went far enough east to the point where we haven't even got rain yet.

Good morning I hope things keep going well for you guys. Looks like Houston and Galveston dodged a bullet. I just want these winds to stop blowing. I didn't expect this nor was it predicted or I would have booked it out of here. It looks like Beaumont and Lake Charles got the worst of it. I'm amazed that I still have power. Best of luck and God bless all. :smoke:

rcajun90 said:
Good morning I hope things keep going well for you guys. Looks like Houston and Galveston dodged a bullet. I just want these winds to stop blowing. I didn't expect this nor was it predicted or I would have booked it out of here. It looks like Beaumont and Lake Charles got the worst of it. I'm amazed that I still have power. Best of luck and God bless all. :smoke:

Me too---we have around 50 shelters set up all over Austin and hundreds more in the Centex area. Hopefully these folks still have homes that are in good enough shape to return to. The crowding taxed our emerrgency services all night long and the sirens are still frequent.

Johnney said:
now dont think im a bad guy for saying this, or wish anything bad happens to someone, cause i dont. but the people who refuse to leave deserve what they get. its just retarded.
I refused to leave, and I got to avoid the horrible traffic jams, car breakdowns, hotel expenses, gas usage and stress that so many people endured in order to evacuate this area.

I'll bet a lot less people leave next time. The thousands that headed north are still getting soaked, and I'm just chilling at the house in peace.

Houston is not built like New Orleans. This evacuation was partly hysteria because of the effects of Katrina, but everyone should have remembered that New Orleans withstood a near direct hit from Katrina with minimal damage. It wasn't until the levees broke that the sh*t hit the fan.

speederdoc said:
I refused to leave, and I got to avoid the horrible traffic jams, car breakdowns, hotel expenses, gas usage and stress that so many people endured in order to evacuate this area.

I'll bet a lot less people leave next time. The thousands that headed north are still getting soaked, and I'm just chilling at the house in peace.

Houston is not built like New Orleans. This evacuation was partly hysteria because of the effects of Katrina, but everyone should have remembered that New Orleans withstood a near direct hit from Katrina with minimal damage. It wasn't until the levees broke that the sh*t hit the fan.

I'm glad that Houston and you got lucky. Public officials are kind of damned if they do and damned if they don't. Last year with Ivan, they ordered an evacuation and it took people like 12 hours to get from New Orleans to Baton Rouge. Many people were calling for the mayors and Governors head. Maybe we should have cut them off then. However we started our contra flow program using all four lanes of I-10 because of Ivan which really helped for Katrina.

I was pretty ignorant of the geography of the Houston/Galveston area but after seeing it on the news all day I do think that it was wise to order an evacuation. A cat. 5 pushing a 50ft wall of water up Galveston Bay would have been catastrophic. Yes Houston doesn't have to depend on a levee system but a perfect storm headed right up that bay and you would have major water trouble. I guess God did Bless Texas. However in Southwest Louisiana we are screwed.
:dance:

Well what a bunch of crap. I sat in my driveway and watched the wind blow and barely got wet. The "experts'' were full of shit as usual. All of the doomsday scenarios and rediculous inconvenience because the media blew harder than the hurricane. They were creating panic when that thing was 700 miles away. It turned out to be a 5 day weekend for a large percentage of people here.
I spoke to a number of people that drove away from low lying areas that said they were amazed at how many fights occured on the I-45 parking lot, mostly black on white. I was threatened by some assholes who wouldn't speak english, they just yelled at me in spanish until I showed them my Glock 30, it speaks all languages without any accent. Hell if I'm going to be threatened by some asswipe foreigners in my country.
It is time Americans find their balls again and quit being such pussies. The 70+ year old Mayor of Galveston refused to leave her city, she remembers what it was like to be an American because she is from that dying generation, the Greatest Generation that kicked Hitler's ass and built the greatest country in the world, I hate to see these people go. We younger generations need to learn from them before we lose everything that is great about this country. That generation knows what it is really like to be poor, the "poor" in this country are a joke, they have no idea what it is like to be truely poor(I know that there are some people that are truely in need and there is a lot of programs for them). When I see young males that are in great shape complaining about how poor they are I am sickened. Get some balls , join the military , defend this country, grow up and get a marketable skill and some self respect.

sitarro said:
Well what a bunch of crap. I sat in my driveway and watched the wind blow and barely got wet. The "experts'' were full of shit as usual. All of the doomsday scenarios and rediculous inconvenience because the media blew harder than the hurricane. They were creating panic when that thing was 700 miles away. It turned out to be a 5 day weekend for a large percentage of people here.
I spoke to a number of people that drove away from low lying areas that said they were amazed at how many fights occured on the I-45 parking lot, mostly black on white. I was threatened by some assholes who wouldn't speak english, they just yelled at me in spanish until I showed them my Glock 30, it speaks all languages without any accent. Hell if I'm going to be threatened by some asswipe foreigners in my country.
It is time Americans find their balls again and quit being such pussies. The 70+ year old Mayor of Galveston refused to leave her city, she remembers what it was like to be an American because she is from that dying generation, the Greatest Generation that kicked Hitler's ass and built the greatest country in the world, I hate to see these people go. We younger generations need to learn from them before we lose everything that is great about this country. That generation knows what it is really like to be poor, the "poor" in this country are a joke, they have no idea what it is like to be truely poor(I know that there are some people that are truely in need and there is a lot of programs for them). When I see young males that are in great shape complaining about how poor they are I am sickened. Get some balls , join the military , defend this country, grow up and get a marketable skill and some self respect.

First I'm glad you were spared. Now you need to get a grip and some heart for the folks that were actually hit. Houston and Galveston got lucky. Check out the damage in Southwest Louisiana if you want to see the needy. Also from what I've seen, Port Arthur in Texas was hit hard.

http://forum.lakecharles.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=14;t=000023;p=0

rcajun90 said:
First I'm glad you were spared. Now you need to get a grip and some heart for the folks that were actually hit. Houston and Galveston got lucky. Check out the damage in Southwest Louisiana if you want to see the needy. Also from what I've seen, Port Arthur in Texas was hit hard.

http://forum.lakecharles.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=14;t=000023;p=0
Wow. The media is starting to cover the damage now, but I think they were mostly distracted by the evacuation traffic in Texas and dropped the ball on the real action.

sitarro said:
I spoke to a number of people that drove away from low lying areas that said they were amazed at how many fights occured on the I-45 parking lot, mostly black on white. I was threatened by some assholes who wouldn't speak english, they just yelled at me in spanish until I showed them <b>my Glock 30, it speaks all languages without any accent.</b> Hell if I'm going to be threatened by some asswipe foreigners in my country.
AMEN to that one. youd be suprised at what even a small hand gun can say.

but you know as well as i do that if they didnt put out the reperts like they did and it went the other way it would have been worse than NO.

sitarro said:

Same with the shelters in Austin's schools--they're full of Mexicans who refuse to speak English but can hold out their hands and say "FEMA". ( They have no problem finding the food either)
Starting a rumor that the INS will start inspecting shelters will clean out the riff-raff in hours.

dilloduck said:
Same with the shelters in Austin's schools--they're full of Mexicans who refuse to speak English but can hold out their hands and say "FEMA". ( They have no problem finding the food either)
<b>Starting a rumor that the INS will start inspecting shelters will clean out the riff-raff in hours.</b>
ill call your bluff.

rcajun90 said:

The difference is, it never got THIS far in NO. The apparent failing to disaster evacuation plans, at least as far as the Texas Gulf Coast is concerned is that the highway infrastructure and availability of gasoline does not support the current population.

The people who stayed in Texas coastal cities did so because they either decided to, or physically could not get out. This as opposed to those in NO who never considered attempting to get themselves out.

Forum List

Back