Rims or Sound System?

G.T.

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2009
The answer cannot be "neither"

I'm looking to purchase one of the two within the week. I see some pro's and con's of each, and y'all can feel free to add to them:

-stereo

pro - i love music, i make my own music.
con - the factory system sounds pretty good, but definitely not aftermarket though.
pro - it's something i've wanted to spend dough on since i was younger and couldn't afford it.
con - it becomes a target for theft
con - police hate sound systems

-rims

pro - my car is black body, tinted windows, spoiler, sunroof.....nothing would set it off better than a shiny set of chrome wheels
con- changing them seasonally
pro - it would change my car from another accord, to GT's ACCORD
con - it becomes a target for police

Thanks in advance!!

The answer cannot be "neither"

I'm looking to purchase one of the two within the week. I see some pro's and con's of each, and y'all can feel free to add to them:

-stereo

pro - i love music, i make my own music.
con - the factory system sounds pretty good, but definitely not aftermarket though.
pro - it's something i've wanted to spend dough on since i was younger and couldn't afford it.
con - police hate sound systems
pro - ladies dig tunes

-rims

pro - my car is black body, tinted windows, spoiler, sunroof.....nothing would set it off better than a shiny set of chrome wheels
con- changing them seasonally
pro - it would change my car from another accord, to GT's ACCORD
con - it becomes a target for police
con - makes you look like a douche

Thanks in advance!!

No problem.

Matter of opinion, of course. But I will take it into consideration.

I don't know man, the rims are really not necessary.

You already have a woman, so there's no need for rims. No one else cares enough about your rims to make them worth it besides a potential piece of ass. But you're married, so you don't get to have ass anymore anyway :lol:

As far as sound system, are you talking about increasing the quality of the mids and highs and leaving the bass around factory levels?

Because I'm of the opinion that those booming subwoofer systems are for teenagers and 20-somethings that haven't grown up yet. I used to build those things when I was at that age, and now I can't even stand listening to them drive by me. As a fellow music producer, specifically hip hop, I STILL think it's obnoxious to hear that coming from a car.

If I were you, and I know you said don't say neither, I would put the money into your home studio. There's gotta be SOMETHING that could use an upgrade there. It can ALWAYS be better.

Last edited:
sound system....can't look at rims while you drive.....plus if you turn the bass up loud enough no one will look at your shitty rims....

sound system....can't look at rims while you drive.....plus if you turn the bass up loud enough no one will look at your shitty rims....

This is a good answer, thank you. :razz:

I don't know man, the rims are really not necessary.

You already have a woman, so there's no need for rims. No one else cares enough about your rims to make them worth it besides a potential piece of ass. But you're married, so you don't get to have ass anymore anyway :lol:

As far as sound system, are you talking about increasing the quality of the mids and highs and leaving the bass around factory levels?

Because I'm of the opinion that those booming subwoofer systems are for teenagers and 20-somethings that haven't grown up yet. I used to build those things when I was at that age, and now I can't even stand listening to them drive by me. As a fellow music producer, specifically hip hop, I STILL think it's obnoxious to hear that coming from a car.

If I were you, and I know you said don't say neither, I would put the money into your home studio. There's gotta be SOMETHING that could use an upgrade there. It can ALWAYS be better.

First thing's first: I get more Ass than the petting zoo. Don't get it twisted and pretend to know, we are freaks and we stay keeping it saucy. My wife's T&A never get old for me, it's not a problem I've experienced.

My home studio's as far as I'm taking it at this point. 90% of the fixes I need now are in my mixing. I wish I had gone to school for it *shrugs*

But I disagree with this post, on both accounts. (Rims and Sounds)

The Rims: I actually don't need to impress anyone, and exactly......... it's "since I'm married." However, I take pride in my style and that's in everything that I do. I feel great about a new pair of Air Max's, and I don't care if I show them to noone. I never, ever, ever go to a social event without a brand new outfit on. I like to feel crisp, I like to keep it fresh. That's just me, man. I work out hard, and I work hard to spend money on feeling good. I don't work hard to shovel all of my money in a cave and feel pretend responsible because I live frugally and never spend a dime. My new car's my new baby, I feel good about it, I want to treat her to some class. And I'm 28, let's not age me!

The system: Making a good sound system a teen-aged taboo may be society's opinion, but it isn't mine. I like heavy bass with components so crisp that the bass doesn't drown them out. I like to be inside of the music, and sound systems do that for me. Nothing feels better to me than a live Rock Concert, and feeling the Base-Drum in my chest. NOTHING, except sex. Caring about the image it projects outward ? ........see above: I look crisp........for me. I'd rock crispier tunes.......for me.
<I flat out don't give a fuck "how that makes me look," but I do value your opinions! :razz:

Last edited:
I've always been of the mind that you upgrade the inside before the outside. Engine first, brakes and tires second then the sound system is my usual order to fixing up a car.

A sound system benefits you immediately. You don't see the rims from inside the car.

In that same vein, I prefer my cars to be sleepers rather than all flash and no flame. My little speedster is hopped up like you wouldn't believe but the outside is completely stock. Only the real car guys see the beefed up brake shoes and vented rotors.

Neither

Put it into a CD or Roth IRA
Words of wisdom from Dave.
Cut up the credit card, sell the car to a Gangsta, and save up for the Apocalypse.

Couldn't disagree more. You only live once, live now.

I have a question: Why is it, that whenever I discuss spending money, someone automatically assumes that I don't run a budget, and don't have savings and investments>?

I'm an accountant, for fuck's sake. I don't need random screen-names micro-managing my asset-allocation vs. my portfolio. I just want an opinion on the either/or. Sheesh! :razz:

I've always been of the mind that you upgrade the inside before the outside. Engine first, brakes and tires second then the sound system is my usual order to fixing up a car.

A sound system benefits you immediately. You don't see the rims from inside the car.

In that same vein, I prefer my cars to be sleepers rather than all flash and no flame. My little speedster is hopped up like you wouldn't believe but the outside is completely stock. Only the real car guys see the beefed up brake shoes and vented rotors.

I feel you, and thanks for a post in the spirit of the thread!

My thing with engine/brake soups...........is that I don't have the intent to ever race anyone, and I'm not a big car buff to even be proud of having "this....vs that," in-terms of engine parts and what-not.

That middle sentence makes a lot of sense, though, and I'm starting to lean this way.

My thing with engine/brake soups...........is that I don't have the intent to ever race anyone, and I'm not a big car buff to even be proud of having "this....vs that," in-terms of engine parts and what-not.

That middle sentence makes a lot of sense, though, and I'm starting to lean this way.

If you're going to invest any kind of meaningful money in a sound system, make it easy to take out when you get rid of your current car. That way you don't have to upgrade your next car as you already have the kick ass audio ready to plug and play.

If you're going to invest any kind of meaningful money in a sound system, make it easy to take out when you get rid of your current car. That way you don't have to upgrade your next car as you already have the kick ass audio ready to plug and play.

Good point.

I think my Deck is good enough to not have to upgrade: I have the 6-disc changer in the Accord EX-L.

It did come with an 8" sub-woofer already, but it just doesn't kick the way I want it to. I think I'll replace the door speakers with some top-of-the lines, and put an amp and a 10" JL-Audio in the trunk. I'll DEFINITELY keep the factory stuff to reinstall for when I get rid of the car, for sure!!

Good point.

I think my Deck is good enough to not have to upgrade: I have the 6-disc changer in the Accord EX-L.

It did come with an 8" sub-woofer already, but it just doesn't kick the way I want it to. I think I'll replace the door speakers with some top-of-the lines, and put an amp and a 10" JL-Audio in the trunk. I'll DEFINITELY keep the factory stuff to reinstall for when I get rid of the car, for sure!!

Make sure whatever you install has an i pod jack.

Good point.

Ok, I'll work with you here.

Go to Home Cheapo and buy some Medium Density fiber board.

Buy the sub you want, and build a box for it sized for the amount of cubic feet in volume that the sub requires. Usually about 1 cubic foot. I glue and screw my boxes.

You'll feel so much prouder of your system if you built it yourself.

Last edited:
That's actually a good idea. You ever use any type of illumination?

That's actually a good idea. You ever use any type of illumination?

Dude, I've made some crazy boxes before.

I made one we called the Dog House, where it was two 12's that faced each other inside of a tunnel, and we cut a hole through the bed and back wall of a pickup truck and the tunnel came through the hole to the inside of the cab. You could look back behind the seats and see down the tunnel. I painted the inside of it with this paint that was jet black with these white particles all throughout it, then put a black light down inside the tunnel so the white particles and the logos on the subs illuminated.

Never have you heard such powerful bass in your life.

Forum List

Back