Drag Kings... American Muscle. Come on over and pop the hood. Let's see what you've got...

Where_r_my_Keys

Gold Member
Jan 19, 2014
Anyone else running American Muscle?

Ya don't necessarily have to race it, but let's take a look at what you're drivin'.

I'll get it started:

Back in 2006, I was sitting in my lazy boy minding my own business when the phone rang. It was my bro'-n-Law who had a problem and needed a favor. His oldest son had moved down from Michigan and set out to make his fortune in the "Food Services" industry. And as a brand new, strapping 21 year old, he readily landed a job as a toxicologist down on 5th Avenue, where the "Beautiful People" hangout.

Fast forward a couple of years and he's still flat broke and suffering a major 'substance abuse' problem and hauls it back to Michigan, leaving the shattered panes of his life where they scattered when he hit rock bottom.

One of those shards was the car that his Dad not only co-signed, but paid the subsequent payments, as the nephew began his long and painful slide down here to reality.

"The Condo is wearing me out man and if I don't get that thing out of there, they're going to tow it and it's just going to cost me more money... . Can ya call a tow-truck, get it over to your place and sell it?"

No problem... what kind of car is it?, I ask.

I dunno, its blue, speedy and cost 275/mo forever. I just want it off my books. He grinds.

So the wife and I drive over and sure enough there a 1996 Z28 Camaro, Electric Blue body with a Firebird hood, T-tops and a grotesquely large spoiler; paint peeling off the bumper cover and a tag that clearly says: "Trailer", three 20" rims and one stock 'salad shooter' on the passenger front.

Hmm... I'm intrigued.

It fired on the first stroke and whatta sound. The LT1 was clearly all there and the sound was intoxicating.

It was dead on "E" and if there was a light in the cluster that COULD light, it was lit.

Ran it up to the gas station put a $20 in the tank and eased it on back to the house, but along the way I found a quiet stretch where we found ourselves all alone and kicked it down to just get an idea of what she could do. I was cruisin' right at 45 and when I woke the big Dog she was ready to eat. The tail jumped left and she did a respectable burnout and after just a moment of adrenaline, I got out of it and coasted on back to the house.

When I pulled into the driveway, I was hanging up with my Bro'-n-law and my wife (who'd been following me back to hide the dead tag) was shakin' her head, steadily sayin' "NO, NO, NO...".

I just clicked the phone shut and said: "Too late... I already did. How ya like my Camaro, baby?".

LOL!

Suffice it to say I fell in love with that car and raced everything that would go against us for weeks... before my son-n-law talked me into going up to the drag-strip. And from the first pass... I was hooked.

I loved everything about it and raced every week for months, doing very well... until I rebuilt her the first time.

Carved a second and change off our time with that build. Repeated that, except it took a year that time... took off another second.

We're now on the third build, 396 Stroker, 12.5:1 CR, Custom ported AFR 210 heads, Custom ported intake, custom grind on the cam, forged internals, race tranny, 9" stall, Dana 60 Rear end, 5.13 gears, suspension is all top of the line aftermarket tubular hardware, and a custom nitrous oxide system for those tight passes.

Thanks for gettin' this far.

I'll post up some pictures when I get a chance.

Let's here from ya...

12.6:1 thats too serious for me lol. With my carb and iron heads I am mad at 9.9:1 I have to pay attention to my timing advance curve lol.

Mine isn't what most would consider muscle...1979 Coupe de Ville. Stock 425 with dual exhaust, all the emission stuff, A/C plumbing, and vacuum lines in place, Q-jet carb with anti-tamper caps. That's all I need to run 12.40's. :afro:

OK, it's not...the 425 is actually a 542ci stroker.

• Banned
12.6:1 thats too serious for me lol. With my carb and iron heads I am mad at 9.9:1 I have to pay attention to my timing advance curve lol.

With Iron heads that is pretty stout!

The LT1 uses reverse cooling, which cools the heads before the block, so their known for relatively high compression. IRRC, the stock setup was 10.5:1, or there abouts. And you could easily run a 100 shot with NO problem...

I have a little American muscle

1966 Shelby GT350

completely stock, fully restored. she's a trailer queen, no drag racing allowed.

1969 Ford Fairlane with 428 SCJ. This ones been worked over, 550 rear wheel horsepower, but she's a big car, so 12.5 second 1/4 mile times.

In the midst of a restoration , 1970 Road Runner that my parents bought brand new back in the day. Had a 383 in it, but its toast, so the plans call for a 6.1 hemi and a 6 speed , I'm gonna full on resto mod this baby.

Drive it around the block like an old lady...what's the point? Grab a pair of ET Streets and his the 1/4 mile!

Hacked up cars are never cool.

Drive it around the block like an old lady...what's the point? Grab a pair of ET Streets and his the 1/4 mile!

Hacked up cars are never cool.

You do realize we're talking about a half million dollar piece of history, correct?

MINIMUM half million .

And besides, I'm fairly certain my 2014 Ford Focus ST would eat its lunch in the 1/4 mile lol

You mean like these three tangling on a roadcourse?

vintageracing_01_1200.jpg

Or this one, lifting the tires at E-town? (Yes, that is a LEGIT L88 car, and yes, he's running 10's on G70-15 bias-plys!)

WayneTerry-300w.jpg!OpenImageResource

Or this one-of-eight A12 Road Runner, also a 10-second car on G70-15's?

EdCook-1-400w.jpg!OpenImageResource

You mean like these three tangling on a roadcourse?

vintageracing_01_1200.jpg

Or this one, lifting the tires at E-town? (Yes, that is a LEGIT L88 car, and yes, he's running 10's on G70-15 bias-plys!)

WayneTerry-300w.jpg!OpenImageResource

Or this one-of-eight A12 Road Runner, also a 10-second car on G70-15's?

EdCook-1-400w.jpg!OpenImageResource

As to the Road Runner. uh no. It is not a 10 second car on bias ply street tires.

Also, it's not a half million dollar car.

It's about a $100K car, still valuable, and can run in the 12s with slicks and open pipes.

1969 Plymouth A12 Road Runner

Also, you're one of 8 comment is bullshit. Here is a club , and they have 525 cars registered as of last week

69-1 2 SIXPACK SIXBBL REGISTRY

One of eight black A12's.

And actually, yes, it MOST CERTAINLY IS a 10-second car on bias-plys!

This one (actually, a 440 GTX rebuilt as a Hemi Road Runner) has dipped into the 9's:
1.B.jpg

So has this dude:
251271-870-0.jpg

(That's a 1971 429SCJ Mach 1-originally a 302 car-and yes, he's pulling the front tires on G60-15 bias-plys.)

One of eight black A12's.

And actually, yes, it MOST CERTAINLY IS a 10-second car on bias-plys!

This one (actually, a 440 GTX rebuilt as a Hemi Road Runner) has dipped into the 9's:
1.B.jpg

So has this dude:
251271-870-0.jpg

(That's a 1971 429SCJ Mach 1-originally a 302 car-and yes, he's pulling the front tires on G60-15 bias-plys.)

Apparently, you have no idea what you're talking about, big surprise.

Those are F.A.S.T cars

Factory Appearance Stock tires

Everything else goes, that RR is putting 615 HP to the rear wheels and is completely illegal to drive on the street.

Weren't you just earlier in the thread crying about me modding MY Road Runner? Oh, that's right. You were.

Yes, I know EXACTLY what F.A.S.T. racing is...and while many are heavily modified (offhand, Carey's Mustang has a gigantic stroker motor...and a race weight of a stunning 4000lbs), they are not cut up. (Offhand, both Road Runners could go back to stock in a weekend.) Explain, in detail, exactly why the Road Runner is not street legal. (Note: both are, in fact, tagged-Michigan for one, NY for the other-and see occasional street time.)

There is one F.A.S.T. car running 11.50's (again: on G70-15 bias plys)...and unlike most, it IS all factory. It's another legit L88 Corvette, running 11.54 at 120MPH factory stock, and proven so by a teardown!

Yes, I know EXACTLY what F.A.S.T. racing is...and while many are heavily modified (offhand, Carey's Mustang has a gigantic stroker motor...and a race weight of a stunning 4000lbs), they are not cut up. (Offhand, both Road Runners could go back to stock in a weekend.) Explain, in detail, exactly why the Road Runner is not street legal. (Note: both are, in fact, tagged-Michigan for one, NY for the other-and see occasional street time.)

There is one F.A.S.T. car running 11.50's (again: on G70-15 bias plys)...and unlike most, it IS all factory. It's another legit L88 Corvette, running 11.54 at 120MPH factory stock, and proven so by a teardown!

I don't know enough about the car to know why it isn''t street legal,I merely know the article says that particular Road Runner is not street legal.

NO ONE is running 10 seconds in a factory Road Runner. You know that is a fact.

My plans for my Road Runner are PERFECTLY acceptable by a lot of people who collect cars. The original motor is a shitty 383 that is wore out we're not talking about a particularly collectible car here.

Forum List

Back