Right to work in Missouri

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Wiseacre, Apr 25, 2011.

1. Wiseacre

Wiseacre Retired USAF Chief Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,194
    Missouri is trying to pass a right to work law where an employee would have the option to join a union and pay dues or not. 22 states have right to work laws already, and some other states are also working on their own reforms. Missouri has been in a job slump since Jan 09, with an unemployment rate at 9.1% that is slightly above the national average of 8.8%. There are several right to work states surrounding Missouri, which have lower unemployment rates, and their 0.6% decrease in employment in 2010 made it the 3rd worst state in the country for job losses.

Mizzou has a dem governor but a veto proof senate, but the unions are trying to pick off some GOP state senators who received union campaign contributions or endorsements from them. They have already passed a paycheck protection act earlier this month that requires employees to consent to have their dues deducted from their paychecks. It'll be interesting to see how this plays out.

Given the choice, most union members routinely opt out of unions. In Indiana when Mitch Daniels used an executive order to give public employees the right to opt out, about 95% did exactly that. Unions of course are up in arms, we can probably expect a lot of demonstrations in Missouri fairly soon.

Seems to me an individual should have the right to orgainize a union in the private sector, but they should also have the right to opt out if they so choose without losing their job. Can't see how anybody can have a problem with that.

2. Avatar4321

Avatar4321 Diamond Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,137
    should be interesting. I think it's ridiculous that you can be forced to join a union against your will.

3. The T

The T George S. Patton Party Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    What USED TO BE A REPUBLIC RUN BY TYRANTS
    Ratings:
    +5,502
    It's an abridgement of Liberty, and should be challanged early and often.

4. PoliticalChic

PoliticalChic Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +24,781
    In a related story....

February 6, 2009 President Obama signed Executive Order 13502, which requires the use of union labor on federal projects valued at over $25 million. Executive Order: Use of Project Labor Agreements for Federal Construction Projects | The White House

a. PLA’s promote feather-bedding and cut off the 86.9 % of private sector union workers who don’t belong to unions.

5. Dont Taz Me Bro

Dont Taz Me Bro USMB Mod Staff Member Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17,411
    I really don't know why Wisconsin and Ohio Republicans didn't try and pursue Right to Work legislation instead of what they ended up doing. I don't think the fall out would have been as bad from the public if they had.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  6. Mad Scientist

Mad Scientist Deplorable Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,676
    Oh is that what "right to work" means? Not actually a right to "work" but a right to "choose union or not". I get it now.

7. Dont Taz Me Bro

Dont Taz Me Bro USMB Mod Staff Member Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17,411
    It means you can't be forced to join a union.

8. PoliticalChic

PoliticalChic Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +24,781
    True...but they must contribute a sum to unions for the negotiations that benefit all.
    This usually comes so close to 100% that it hardly pays to opt out.

And, a union member can ask for rebate on political contributions by the union.

"On April 13, 1992, in what many consider to be nothing more than an act of political opportunism, President Bush issued Executive Order 12800, which requires all federal contractors to inform their employees of their "Beck rights." The order stems from a 1988 U.S. Supreme Court opinion, Communication Workers of America v. Beck, in which the Court declared that employees forced to pay union dues under the National Labor Relations Act (NLRA) do not have to contribute to a union's partisan political activities. The Communication Workers of America had been using as much as 79 percent of Harry Beck's dues for such activities, almost all in support of Democratic party candidates."
    The Permissible Uses of Forced Union Dues: From Hanson to Beck

The point? Union membership is not as onerous as it seems.

9. marv

marv Resident Grandpa

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Not being forced to join, or being able to opt out of a union, is the way to go. It's a freedom of association thing.

10. Anachronism

Anachronism BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +231
    All that I have to say on this is..... If it hadn't been for the Union that I'm part of, I would likely be unemployed right now. The company I work for is cutting TWENTY PERCENT of its Non-Union workforce in the last/next six months. Not a single Union job is being lost. I may not agree with everything the Union does, or its political stances, but right now I'm pretty damn happy that I am in one.

I'll trade $17.47 (about 35 minutes worth of my weeky wages) a week to keep from losing my entire paycheck, thank you very much.