Right to smoke?

Is there a right to smoke?

• Yes, people have a right to smoke and the state can't do anything to stop it

Votes: 4 33.3%
  • No, if the people choose to regulate/ban smoking they can whether its a good or bad idea

Votes: 8 66.7%

• Total voters
Citizens have a right to do ANYTHING - until a law is made which forbids it.

We believe that second hand smoke is deadly to non smokers who are exposed to it. Is that fair to the non smoker, to be possibly deprived out of a long healthy life?

How about the butts thrown all over the earth??? Each has known carcinagins trapped in the polyester filter. What is the rate of decay for this non conumable attachment?? What is the effect on birds, etc that come into contact with these spent pollutants?? Get rid of filters all together. You want cancer? Get it all at once. Don't make us wait.

Loud exhaust systems on motorcycles. Good for who??? Why should my hearing become damaged cause some asshole has to put straight pipes on his bike??? I had one come up on me the other night. I didn't hear him until he was about even with me. It honestly hurt like hell,, like somebody stuck a steel scrub brush in your ear. Hearty and "tuned" is one thing, deafning is another.

Cell phones. What did I do to deserve being cut off the road, or delayed by some ahole on a phone that doesn't pay attention to their driving?? Why should my quality time be invaided at a vista cause some hosebag is so insecure, and rude that they can't shut up and enjoy a moment of solitude??

Racist music played so loud it makes my car vibrate??? First, the lyrics are wrong to play so loudly that kids are exposed to them. Second, it invades privacy by intentional permeation into my space, my home, my place of employment, my park bench, my car.

Four possible things that others have the "right" to do, and don't care about anyone else.

We believe that second hand smoke is deadly to non smokers who are exposed to it. Is that fair to the non smoker, to be possibly deprived out of a long healthy life?

How about the butts thrown all over the earth??? Each has known carcinagins trapped in the polyester filter. What is the rate of decay for this non conumable attachment?? What is the effect on birds, etc that come into contact with these spent pollutants?? Get rid of filters all together. You want cancer? Get it all at once. Don't make us wait.

Loud exhaust systems on motorcycles. Good for who??? Why should my hearing become damaged cause some asshole has to put straight pipes on his bike??? I had one come up on me the other night. I didn't hear him until he was about even with me. It honestly hurt like hell,, like somebody stuck a steel scrub brush in your ear. Hearty and "tuned" is one thing, deafning is another.

Cell phones. What did I do to deserve being cut off the road, or delayed by some ahole on a phone that doesn't pay attention to their driving?? Why should my quality time be invaided at a vista cause some hosebag is so insecure, and rude that they can't shut up and enjoy a moment of solitude??

Racist music played so loud it makes my car vibrate??? First, the lyrics are wrong to play so loudly that kids are exposed to them. Second, it invades privacy by intentional permeation into my space, my home, my place of employment, my park bench, my car.

Four possible things that others have the "right" to do, and don't care about anyone else.

See what I mean? Some would want to ban all the above. Cool, huh?

I got into an argument with a military guy who claims that he has a "right to smoke."

I pointed out that regardless of whether smoking bans were a good idea or just plain stupid. No right to smoke exists. There is nothing in either federal or state constitution that suggests a right to smoke exists.

He then turned around and claimed that since he served in the military to protect his right to smoke there was nothing the people could do to take that right away. Basically saying he was immune from criticism because he served in the military. (You military guys know I love you all for what you do, but it irritates the heck out of me when people try to immunize themselves from criticisms on the claim that they served when it has nothing to do with the discussion)

So I created this poll to see what everyone else thinks.

The purpose of the poll isnt whether smoking bans are a bad idea or a smart idea. The poll is focused on whether the state has the right to do so regardless.

If you vote that there is a right to smoke, then how is this "right to smoke" different from the "right to an abortion" which is also not in any Constitution?

But just because it isn't in the Constitution doesn't mean it isn't a right. Read the Ninth Amendment - "The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people."

In other words, just because some rights are named in the Constitution, that doesn't mean that we can limit the people to only holding those rights listed.

I think claiming smoking as a 'civil right' devlaues what civil rights actually are. However, I think smoking bans on any area that is not public property is an infringement on private property rights, and a ban on smoking altogether is just a bad idea, at least at this time.

ITA. A perfect example of the aforementioned whiners who will stoop to any level to enforce their personal likes/dislikes on the populace.

Yup, which is why the 'smoking' problem, is not for smokers alone. However, too many will see that too late.

Yup, which is why the 'smoking' problem, is not for smokers alone. However, too many will see that too late.

Exactly. I quit smoking awhile back, so on the specific issue, I am not really affected.

It's about making arbitrary laws to cater to anyone with a cause and a voice that concerns me. There's ALWAYS a "What's next?"

Exactly. I quit smoking awhile back, so on the specific issue, I am not really affected.

It's about making arbitrary laws to cater to anyone with a cause and a voice that concerns me. There's ALWAYS a "What's next?"

The whole idea of precedents. From one, the next. Ah a nation of 'laws.'

When do we get to the part where we outlaw being a lib for the good of society and the overall mental health of all libs? I migh tcould go for THAT one!;)

:laugh: Never going to happen. I wish they'd leave all of us alone.

See what I mean? Some would want to ban all the above. Cool, huh?

It is all about mutal respect. One can smoke all they want if they recognize it has health implications for others. What a person does in a designated area, or in their own "space" is their busness. Disposing of their used butts is responsibility that goes with smoking. What if EVERY person who ate a Micky D burger dumped their wrappers on your lawn,,, etc, etc? Every candy bar wrapper was left on the curb near an intersection. Common sense.

If a biker knows what is reasonable, then who needs legislation. One can have a mean sounding machine without ramming 130db down someone elses eardrums. All they need to do is be reasonable.

With the trash playing the loud music and thumping their eardrums to profanity,,,,,what value does it add to society??? The lyrics don't belong in the "public's space". Just as posting nudes/xrated material in public areas isn't tolerated. People who violate this are useless sacks.

What our country needs to do is reign in some of these habbits that makes for a less appealing society. And, society as a whole, needs to put the pressure on its members so that LEGISLATION is not needed.

It is all about mutal respect. One can smoke all they want if they recognize it has health implications for others. What a person does in a designated area, or in their own "space" is their busness. Disposing of their used butts is responsibility that goes with smoking. What if EVERY person who ate a Micky D burger dumped their wrappers on your lawn,,, etc, etc? Every candy bar wrapper was left on the curb near an intersection. Common sense.

If a biker knows what is reasonable, then who needs legislation. One can have a mean sounding machine without ramming 130db down someone elses eardrums. All they need to do is be reasonable.

With the trash playing the loud music and thumping their eardrums to profanity,,,,,what value does it add to society??? The lyrics don't belong in the "public's space". Just as posting nudes/xrated material in public areas isn't tolerated. People who violate this are useless sacks.

What our country needs to do is reign in some of these habbits that makes for a less appealing society. And, society as a whole, needs to put the pressure on its members so that LEGISLATION is not needed.

And you are the arbitor? :laugh:

Littering and playing music at exceedingly loud levels are already illegal in most places.

When I was a kid I worked with my brother as my boss at a golf course. If I finished all of my work and had nothing to do, he would make me go out to the parking lot and pick up cigarette butts. You learn to really hate cigarettes after doing that for an afternoon in the high desert of California.:smoke:

I don't think the smoking issue is an issue of "likes and dislikes." Second-hand smoke really does cause legitimate health problems in other people.

Gee Celine,
Thanks for the news flash, I bet there are a few on this board that haven't heard that one yet(sure). I'm curious Celine, you're in college right? Do you drink? Do you drive after you drink? I bet a lot more people die as a direct cause of drunks that refuse to call a cab and try to drive home than do from second hand smoke.

You're in Atlanta, your chance of being criminally affected by a black person is pretty high in comparison to someone living in Montana, should blacks be banned? I live in Houston, every weekend there are numerous murders by people who have Mexican surnames, should we ban Mexicans? Most are alcohol fueled, should we ban the sale or consumption of alcohol to Mexicans?

With the combined crime commited by both Mexicans and blacks in this country there are many that would be in favor of banning them for the safety of society, should we?

Where does it stop? I hate the smell of cigarettes myself, I haven't been in a bar in years because of it and the boorish behavor of people that drink too much. I still don't see where the government should have the right to ban smoking from private owned places, it's just not American.

Gee Celine,
Thanks for the news flash, I bet there are a few on this board that haven't heard that one yet(sure). I'm curious Celine, you're in college right? Do you drink? Do you drive after you drink? I bet a lot more people die as a direct cause of drunks that refuse to call a cab and try to drive home than do from second hand smoke.

You're in Atlanta, your chance of being criminally affected by a black person is pretty high in comparison to someone living in Montana, should blacks be banned? I live in Houston, every weekend there are numerous murders by people who have Mexican surnames, should we ban Mexicans? Most are alcohol fueled, should we ban the sale or consumption of alcohol to Mexicans?

With the combined crime commited by both Mexicans and blacks in this country there are many that would be in favor of banning them for the safety of society, should we?

Where does it stop? I hate the smell of cigarettes myself, I haven't been in a bar in years because of it and the boorish behavor of people that drink too much. I still don't see where the government should have the right to ban smoking from private owned places, it's just not American.

I'm no longer in college, I graduated in May. Thanks for caring! The flaw in your argument is that DUI IS outlawed. Like DUI, you can still smoke in public places where it has been banned--you'll just be punished if you're caught. You might be fined or asked to put out your smoke or move to a designated smoking area. I don't know where all the racial issues come from. I think that is another thread. As for it not being "American." I can't speak for Canada and South and Latin America, but in the United States, our elected officials can ban anything within the legal confines of the Constitution that the majority of the electorate wants banned.

Forum List

Back