Ridiculously low fuel taxes.

It is no right to own a car.

If a person is poor he/she should be forced to sell the car and move to place where he/she can find a job. If you try to claim welfare here, your car will have to be sold before you can get anything.

You will also be forced to move if the job office finds a job for you.

E.g. person having a 30.000$ car claims welfare and no job.
1. Car sold on auction.
2. Forced to move if the job office can find a job (easy to find a job if you can move all over the country.)

Yes, because everybody wants a government that can force them to move. :eek:

You are not forced to do anything, but if you dont your welfare will be cut. Isnt it fair that unemployed people moves to the places where there are jobs instead of having straw in other peoples taxes?

A car is a luxury, poor people dosent have cars. If so they should sell it.

If a person is poor he/she should be forced to sell the car and move to place where he/she can find a job. If you try to claim welfare here, your car will have to be sold before you can get anything.

1. Car sold on auction.
2. Forced to move if the job office can find a job (easy to find a job if you can move all over the country.)

You are not forced to do anything, but if you dont your welfare will be cut. Isnt it fair that unemployed people moves to the places where there are jobs instead of having straw in other peoples taxes?

Here is a better idea for you. Eliminate welfare. It's not my responsibility to pay for the well being of another person. Let me volunteer my charity, don't force me to be charitable against my wishes.

You are not forced to do anything, but if you dont your welfare will be cut.

Welfare is effectively unconstitutional above state level. It SHOULD be ended.

Isnt it fair that unemployed people moves to the places where there are jobs instead of having straw in other peoples taxes?

What're you going to do? Round them up and forcibly move them if they won't go where there are job shortages? I can see this concept of individual freedom is fuzzy for you. Boy you need to experience freedom sometime. It's not always wine and roses, but it IS yours.

In America, cars are necessities. Not having a car is a hardship. Thanks to used car markets, almost all working Americans have cars save for extreme poverty and in population dense centers that can support public transportation (with heavy subsidization)

How's the public transit in Lapland? How do they have to get around? Dogsled? Snowmobile? Or wait for the next bus they had to walk 45km to get to?

Fuel_tax_in_OECD_countries%2C_2010..png

Why not increase the fuel taxes to pay for infrastructure and to improve state finances. The gasoline prices in USA are ridicoulously low. In UK and Germany they pay more in taxes pr. gallon than a gallon of gas in USA included fuel taxes.

All this talk about taxing the rich, why not put a 3$/gallon tax on gasoline instead? Is it really a need to have such low taxes on gasoline when USA is a net-importer of oil?

Increase the federal gasoline tax by $1 per gallon: The current federal gas tax is 18.4 cents per gallon, but the commission proposes to increase the federal gas tax, gradually and beginning in 2013, so that in 2020, it would be $1.18 cents per gallon. This would not only generate significant revenue but also reduce consumption of gas, reduce carbon emissions, and provide an incentive to automakers to increase the fuel efficiency of their vehicles. Projected revenue in 2020: $130 billion

By just increasing the fuel tax by 1$ the federal budget can have a revenue 130$ billon by 2020.
Why? Because it is a regressive tax that harms the most needy in society. This may be acceptable for a nation smaller than Kentucky with the population barely that of Iowa, but will not work for a nation 100 times that size with a diverse and dispersed population center that prides itself on having individual freedom of movement.

Ever here the expression "Out where the buses don't run"? Well that covers almost half the population of this nation, And 90% of it's land area. Not everyone here's packed in and able to bike to and from work like Copenhagen, Oslo, Trondheim or Stockholm.

You europeans don't realize that for a large portion of America, driving over 250 miles in a day, and in some places one way, for any civilization is not uncommon. What you suggest is both onerous and antithetical to the American way of life.

Visit sometime outside of a big city and learn this.

You are free to move and live wherever you want. If you get a new job 50 miles away from your home, you should move closer to the job.

I think that is why the unemployment is so high in USA, because people are not willing to move to places where the jobs are. I had to move 300 miles to find the job I have now.I just read that their are lots of jobs in North Dakota and also areas in Texas, you americans are not willing to move to find jobs thats why the unemployment is so high.

Sure we do. We move all the time to get good jobs.
Our unemployment is because of many things, but mainly it's Gov. policy that is interfering with jobs right now.
We have the freedom to live in the country and work in the city. That is what a lot of American Freedom is about.
Sounds like you are forced to do many things by your Government. That is why you have no freedom at all.

Why not increase the fuel taxes to pay for infrastructure and to improve state finances. The gasoline prices in USA are ridicoulously low. In UK and Germany they pay more in taxes pr. gallon than a gallon of gas in USA included fuel taxes.

All this talk about taxing the rich, why not put a 3$/gallon tax on gasoline instead? Is it really a need to have such low taxes on gasoline when USA is a net-importer of oil?

Increase the federal gasoline tax by $1 per gallon: The current federal gas tax is 18.4 cents per gallon, but the commission proposes to increase the federal gas tax, gradually and beginning in 2013, so that in 2020, it would be $1.18 cents per gallon. This would not only generate significant revenue but also reduce consumption of gas, reduce carbon emissions, and provide an incentive to automakers to increase the fuel efficiency of their vehicles. Projected revenue in 2020: $130 billion

By just increasing the fuel tax by 1$ the federal budget can have a revenue 130$ billon by 2020.

1. Could I see a link please to show how/where we get $130 billion in more revenue in 2020? Kinda doubt that.

2. I'm thinking our economy would get hammered, through loss of jobs and a bad depression. The cost of everything would be increased significantly. China and India will still be pumping millions of tons of carbon into the atmosphere, but I guess that would be beside the point.

3. Won't happen in your wildest dreams, it would be political suicide. If you had a dem controlled, filibuster proof Congress and a dem in the WH again, maybe then. But I don't see that anytime soon, and if it ever did happen the Dems would get killed in the following elections.

4. Why not invest in natural gas powered cars and trucks, we got plenty of that and it's cheap too. Instead of those ridiculous solar power panels, biofuels, and windmills that have no hope of being economically viable for the foreseeable future.

Last edited:

1. Could I see a link please to show how/where we get $130 billion in more revenue in 2020? Kinda doubt that.

2. I'm thinking our economy would get hammered, through loss of jobs and a bad depression. The cost of everything would be increased significantly. China and India will still be pumping millions of tons of carbon into the atmosphere, but I guess that would be beside the point.

3. Won't happen in your wildest dreams, it would be political suicide. If you had a dem controlled, filibuster proof Congress and a dem in the WH again, maybe then. But I don't see that anytime soon, and if it ever did happen the Dems would get killed in the following elections.

4. Why not invest in natural gas powered cars and trucks, we got plenty of that and it's cheap too. Instead of those ridiculous solar power panels, biofuels, and windmills that have no hope of being economically viable for the foreseeable future.
Oh snap! I never even noticed the AGW bullshit in there as well! :lol:

How careless of me!

1. Car sold on auction.

A car is a luxury, poor people docent have cars. If so they should sell it.

That is the difference between your country and ours.
Everyone here has a right to a car, we don't punish our poor people like your country does.
Our poor has as much rights as our rich do.

And people have a natural inclination to live where they want as far as they can afford to. Thanks to the car, they can live up to 100 miles away if they want to spend that much time driving, and some do. Me, not so much. Just because you would desire to live close to your job does not make it better for anyone else. "Should" move closer? In your opinion maybe, but not in most American's minds. It's about quality of life. I've worked in places that are crime infested hellholes where I wouldn't live even if you paid me to live there. I've worked at places that spewed nasty smells I can smell from miles away. Am I going to live next to that? Hell no!

Quality of life is far more important to Americans than it seems it is to Europeans. Why be forced to live in a cracker box when you can live on 20 acres with a 4 bedroom house for the same price as an urban flat 100 yards from your job if you can and desire?
We dont have any serious problem with crime anywhere in the country, some areas are better than other and we have crimes. But every place is ok.

You'd be wrong. People relocate for jobs all the time. Often, affordable living is nowhere near where they work and must drive. People sometimes move 2000 miles here for work. Would you move to Morocco for a job?
I’ve moved a lot between places when I’ve found jobs I liked. It isnt always you find the right job on your home place. I’ve moved 1200 miles for a job once so it is no problem. I think I’ll meet huge language barriers if I move to Morrocco for a job. But if I have the language skills and found a great job in Morrocco.:Then No problem. As far as i know english is the language spoken in USA, so you want meet any language barries.

Read "Grapes of Wrath" for an example. The Dust Bowl and Great Depression drove millions all over this nation for work. Okies went all the way to California, nearly a 1700 mile trek in old trucks and even wagons to find prosperity. The oil boom in ND, SD, Montana and Colorado is going on. I've looked at jobs there, but MOST Americans don't have the skills for it yet, or the need to go that far away. The requirements to be an oil well worker is a lot more than pushing papers across a desk and updating spreadsheets. Driving oil truck requires many special certifications. There's also a housing shortage there as the boom IS going on, making life suddenly very expensive just like it always does in boomtowns.

Then there's the quality of life. Life on the High Prairie is not for everyone either. It's a stark landscape that can be beautiful in the spring, but come the fall, it's hell when winds are constant and the empty spaces are vast and deadly. Not many are willing to put up with the environment and it's effects on their life.

You are right that a lot of people limit themselves by not moving, but that's not everyone. Come and visit us sometime, away from the urban centers in the places your tourist shows don't talk about and in the off season. That's what America's like more often than not.[/QUOTE]

Most scandinavians who emigrated to america actually moved to North Dakota. They felt home there. So mountains and open landscape and harsh weather is something we are used to. The scandianians didnt settle down in NY and cities, they went to the north where they felt home. We’re not dimensioned for warm weather so Florida and California is only for holdiays and trips. We/most like snow better than sun.:lol:

Todays price for gasoline here: about 9$/gallon.
USa gasoline: 3$/gallon.

A 3$/gallon tax wouldn’t be much, you’ll still have really cheap gasoline(6$/gallon)

you must have missed the post where I said- fuel taxes are highly regressive, now, if you don't know what that means, ask ....

1. Car sold on auction.

:lol: you're a fruit loop.....bye.

We dont have any serious problem with crime anywhere in the country, some areas are better than other and we have crimes. But every place is ok.

Well lucky you! Or you have lower standards for quality of life. The desire to not feel like I would be killed, robbed or assaulted was a primary one for me relocating 300 miles to an area that was safe but not as prosperous as the one I left.

Then again, I doubt you have areas of immigrants and minorities that refuse to integrate or act as a culture apart importing an inferior barbaric culture and then get told by the law to just accept it. Oops... my bad. I forgot about the Arab/African/Muslim immigration problems going on over there too.

I’ve moved a lot between places when I’ve found jobs I liked. It isnt always you find the right job on your home place.

Fine, then you get my point on why your theory is wrong.

Most scandinavians who emigrated to america actually moved to North Dakota. They felt home there. So mountains and open landscape and harsh weather is something we are used to. The scandianians didnt settle down in NY and cities, they went to the north where they felt home. We’re not dimensioned for warm weather so Florida and California is only for holdiays and trips. We/most like snow better than sun.:lol:

Yes I know. I've lived in MN and WI. I'm surrounded by thousands of Scandinavian immigrants. I am half Norwegian myself. I hate sun and heat as well, but I require trees and water and the wind to stop blowing constantly. that's why I prefer WI. We've places here people from the old country find more Norse/Swede/Finnish than their homeland in how they've kept up the culture. I'd rather live with a fjord than the wide open effectively barren land. But for enough money, I'd move out there. Currently, my jobskill set doesn't make it a viable option. But that may change, and maybe there's some nice places down near the Black Hills of South Dakota that are better.

The point is, that all those jobs out there? They require you own a reliable car. No bus, no train, no plane. Car. Preferably a gas swilling 4x4 SUV that can handle rough terrain and snow.

you must have missed the post where I said- fuel taxes are highly regressive, now, if you don't know what that means, ask ....

1. Car sold on auction.

:lol: you're a fruit loop.....bye.
Meh, he's a cosmopolitan european who doesn't understand life in America. He's no concept of the vast distances, terrain and population here as well as the civil engineering. He'd survive fine in the Twin Cities or Chicago. Maybe Milwaukee or Madison. Not much else in the upper midwest would do him good from the sound of it.

Welfare is effectively unconstitutional above state level. It SHOULD be ended.
It would only end up giving more crime.

What're you going to do? Round them up and forcibly move them if they won't go where there are job shortages? I can see this concept of individual freedom is fuzzy for you. Boy you need to experience freedom sometime. It's not always wine and roses, but it IS yours.
Dont you think its fair that when the government(your tax money) gives people welfare it should also have the chanche to move people if it is a job some place else the person can fill?. If an other person gets welfare he actually takes away your freedom by taking your tax money. Isn’t in your interest then that the guy gets a job so you dont have to pay for him (through welfare)?

Or do you want as much as possible of your tax money to be given in welfare? I want as a little as possible, and I think it is great when people find a job and support themselves.

Was it 9% unemployment: Cant be cheap in welfare payments for the government.

In America, cars are necessities. Not having a car is a hardship. Thanks to used car markets, almost all working Americans have cars save for extreme poverty and in population dense centers that can support public transportation (with heavy subsidization)

How's the public transit in Lapland? How do they have to get around? Dogsled? Snowmobile? Or wait for the next bus they had to walk 45km to get to?

Most people live in the cities here (more and more) so usually only retired and old people + people on welfare. In the cities it is really easy to find a job with a decent pay. We actually have a shortage of workers, and it is a huge problem that we cant find enough labour to solve important tasks.

Most of our goods and services are moved by Semi trucks.
It we raise taxes on our gas, it raises prices on the goods and services that are delivered.
If a Semi Truck hauls goods from Los Angles to New York it is 2,778 miles or 4,470 km.
Your countries are small and you can afford to raise your taxes on your fuel.

We use flights for long distance transportation. We also have trains and ships. Trucks are mainly used to transport on short distances. (e.g. to the airport, train station, harbour etc.).

Trucks arent suited for long distance transport. trains,flights,boats works better.
Short distance:Trucks.
Long distance:Trains,flights,boats etc.

Your entire country is smaller than one of our States.

Sweden - 173,860 square miles
Finland - 130,558 square miles
Norway - 125,020 square miles
Iceland - 39,768 square miles
Denmark - 16,638 square miles

Texas - 268,580 sq mi
California - 163,695 sq mi
Montana - 147,042 sq mi
New Mexico - 121,589 sq mi
Arizona - 113,998 sq mi

And that only two thru six of 50...

Add to that our ninth SMALLEST state is still almost twice the size of Denmark...West Virginia 24,230 sq mi

Not to mention that damn near ALL OF SCANDINAVIA would fit within the borders of our largest state, Alaska, with an area of [SIZE=+1]663,267 sq mi.

Plus, American manufacturers have moved to a On Demand Inventory or Just In Time logistics model that almost completely eliminates warehousing...but is totally reliant on over the road truck transport.

Trains, barges and ships are fantastic for moving huge tonnage at low rates...but they are not conducive to scheduled on time delivery.

For that trucks are currently the only solution.

Almost 70% of domestic freight tonnage in the U.S. is moved by commercial trucking as compared to 13% by rail and 7% by water.
[/SIZE]

Last edited:
Well lucky you! Or you have lower standards for quality of life. The desire to not feel like I would be killed, robbed or assaulted was a primary one for me relocating 300 miles to an area that was safe but not as prosperous as the one I left.

Then again, I doubt you have areas of immigrants and minorities that refuse to integrate or act as a culture apart importing an inferior barbaric culture and then get told by the law to just accept it. Oops... my bad. I forgot about the Arab/African/Muslim immigration problems going on over there too.

We have started up chartered flights to send criminal immigrants back to Somalia, Afghanistan and so. So we do as much as possible to send those back home.(Criminal immigrants and welfare immigrants). But more can be done. Immigrants who come here for work are welcome and wanted.

Yes I know. I've lived in MN and WI. I'm surrounded by thousands of Scandinavian immigrants. I am half Norwegian myself. I hate sun and heat as well, but I require trees and water and the wind to stop blowing constantly. that's why I prefer WI. We've places here people from the old country find more Norse/Swede/Finnish than their homeland in how they've kept up the culture. I'd rather live with a fjord than the wide open effectively barren land. But for enough money, I'd move out there. Currently, my jobskill set doesn't make it a viable option. But that may change, and maybe there's some nice places down near the Black Hills of South Dakota that are better.

The point is, that all those jobs out there? They require you own a reliable car. No bus, no train, no plane. Car. Preferably a gas swilling 4x4 SUV that can handle rough terrain and snow.

It is often nescesscarry to move around to build up your resume to find a job where you want to. If you are willing to move, everyone can find a job.

If you have a job, then you can get a loan and then you can buy a car. Your choiche.

But i don’t see any point letting people on welfare having a car? Isn’t it fair that they sell the car before they can claim any welfare?. How working people spend their money is not something anyone should interfere in. But welfare spending should be kept at a minimum for instance by forcing them to sell their car before they can claim welfare.

We have started up chartered flights to send criminal immigrants back to Somalia, Afghanistan and so. So we do as much as possible to send those back home.(Criminal immigrants and welfare immigrants). But more can be done. Immigrants who come here for work are welcome and wanted.

It is often nescesscarry to move around to build up your resume to find a job where you want to. If you are willing to move, everyone can find a job.

If you have a job, then you can get a loan and then you can buy a car. Your choiche.

But i don’t see any point letting people on welfare having a car? Isn’t it fair that they sell the car before they can claim any welfare?. How working people spend their money is not something anyone should interfere in. But welfare spending should be kept at a minimum for instance by forcing them to sell their car before they can claim welfare.

Let then keep their car and eliminate their welfare, again, iIt's not my responsibility to pay for the well being of another person. Let me volunteer my charity, don't force me to be charitable against my wishes.

Most of our goods and services are moved by Semi trucks.
It we raise taxes on our gas, it raises prices on the goods and services that are delivered.
If a Semi Truck hauls goods from Los Angles to New York it is 2,778 miles or 4,470 km.
Your countries are small and you can afford to raise your taxes on your fuel.

We use flights for long distance transportation. We also have trains and ships. Trucks are mainly used to transport on short distances. (e.g. to the airport, train station, harbour etc.).

Trucks arent suited for long distance transport. trains,flights,boats works better.

Texas - 268,580 sq mi
Montana - 147,042 sq mi
Arizona - 113,998 sq mi

Add to that our ninth SMALLEST state is still almost twice the size of Denmark...West Virginia 24,230 sq mi

Not to mention that damn near ALL OF SCANDINAVIA would fit within the borders of our largest state, Alaska, with an area of [SIZE=+1]663,267 sq mi.

Plus, American manufacturers have moved to a On Demand Inventory or Just In Time logistics model that almost completely eliminates warehousing...but is totally reliant on over the road truck transport.

Trains, barges and ships are fantastic for moving huge tonnage at low rates...but they are not conducive to scheduled on time delivery.

Almost 70% of domestic freight tonnage in the U.S. is moved by commercial trucking as compared to 13% by rail and 7% by water.
[/SIZE]

I’ve seen those railways you have in USA, it is sad. You should invest more money in railways. We’ve electrified most of our railways so we can have more carriages and freight on each train. An electrified train can transport much more than a diesel train. It goes much faster to.

In each larger city at the train station we have a "freight terminal". So the logistics between train and trucks and flights are well planned and integrated.

Texas - 268,580 sq mi
Montana - 147,042 sq mi
Arizona - 113,998 sq mi

[/SIZE]

I’ve seen those railways you have in USA, it is sad. You should invest more money in railways. We’ve electrified most of our railways so we can have more carriages and freight on each train. An electrified train can transport much more than a diesel train. It goes much faster to.

In each larger city at the train station we have a "freight terminal". So the logistics between train and trucks and flights are well planned and integrated.

How often do you have electrical outages, due to storms and things of nature? And how long is the average time to get your electric back on?
We have had many times, in our large cities that have electric trains who have been stuck on them for many hours, when the electricity goes off.
We like our individual space and don't like to be packed like sardines in trains.

Texas - 268,580 sq mi
Montana - 147,042 sq mi
Arizona - 113,998 sq mi

[/SIZE]

Your "one size fits all" mentality is incorrect. I prefer to wear pants that fit me, not pants that also fit a person that weighs 300 pounds.

It would only end up giving more crime.

Dont you think its fair that when the government(your tax money) gives people welfare it should also have the chanche to move people if it is a job some place else the person can fill?. If an other person gets welfare he actually takes away your freedom by taking your tax money. Isn’t in your interest then that the guy gets a job so you dont have to pay for him (through welfare)?

Or do you want as much as possible of your tax money to be given in welfare? I want as a little as possible, and I think it is great when people find a job and support themselves.

Was it 9% unemployment: Cant be cheap in welfare payments for the government.

Most people live in the cities here (more and more) so usually only retired and old people + people on welfare. In the cities it is really easy to find a job with a decent pay. We actually have a shortage of workers, and it is a huge problem that we cant find enough labour to solve important tasks.
A problem we don't seem to have in this nation, what with illegal aliens taking away many low paying jobs, driving wages lower, an unqualified work force because the education system focused on making them feel good for being fuckups instead of pushing achievement, and mid level pay jobs being off-shored due to high government and union related costs of keeping them here.

Then, thanks to the 3 successive economic bubbles popping and being re inflated over the last 14 years, it has kept older people in the workforce longer than expected because their retirements were destroyed.

Last edited:
some of our cities could benefit from a good, efficient rail system...but in no way shape or form does that take care of our suburban sprawl and how far most of us have to go, to get to work....

super high gas prices would hit the middle and lower classes big time....as was said earlier, its a regressive tax.

Forum List

Back