Rick Perry schools the US on economics: Supply it, then demand will follow

No one knew what the COPY machine was for. LOL

exactly sales estimates were for a a tiny number of machines because the world had made out fine without them and was thoroughly used to life that way. No one had any idea what they would really be used for and not in what numbers they would be used.
Internet same way, Krugman said it would be about like fax machine in importance 1+1=2

No one knew what the COPY machine was for. LOL[/QUOTE]

Exactly, sales estimates were for a a tiny number of machines because the world had made out fine without them and was thoroughly used to life that way. No one had any idea what they would really be used for, and not in what numbers they would be used to change office culture.
Internet same way, Krugman said it would be about like fax machine in importance. 1+1=2
Similarly, Bezos invented Amazon but had no idea what it would be used for. He thought to sell books.
Conservatives understand this and want to encourage the passion and wild guessing of Republican entrepreneurs since that is at the heart of what makes capitalism so successful. Liberals want to discourage it.

Last edited:
Supply and demand are only parts of the equation. What economic "noobs" like R-Derp always fail to take into account is that without an anticipation of profit...no product is going to be produced no matter the demand.
The entire point behind supply and demand is profit. Fuking pinhead.

Supply and demand are only parts of the equation. What economic "noobs" like R-Derp always fail to take into account is that without an anticipation of profit...no product is going to be produced no matter the demand.

true, the possibility of huge profits will motivate a lot of people to invent a lot of great products to earn huge profits!!

there is no point behind supply and demand. It is merely a description of how supply demand and price interact in a free market. Profit is not directly a part of it.

These right wingers. They must be crazy. Without Supply and Demand there is no capitalism.

demand-and-supply-law-4-638.jpg

All the way back from 2011. And today, the USMB right wingers still say the same dumb sh!t.

What "Supply and Demand" have to do with "Capitalism":

Why do you even pretend to understand anything about economics, R-Derp? Anyone who's listened to your silly rants has long ago figured out you don't have a clue about the topic!

If the entire point behind supply and demand is profit...then why do you progressives do everything you can to minimize the potential for profits? You treat anyone who's turning a profit like a criminal...someone who must be reined in with stiff taxes and government regulations! Then you can't quite figure out why the Private Sector is reluctant to invest in new industry when you control the government.

You for some unknown reason seem to think that as long as there is "demand" that products will be produced or services offered and that isn't that case! There would be an unbelievable demand for Corvettes selling at $20,000. So why doesn't General Motors make and sell them for that amount? I'll give ya a little hint, R-Derp...they only make products when they think they can sell them at enough of a profit to justify the risk of capital.

wrong, nobody knew what the computer, copy machine, or Internet were invented for which is proved by what their inventors said about demand for them when they invented them. Specific demand is the absolute last thing they knew.

What bizarre statement.

No one knew what the COPY machine was for. Ok, moving on, nothing to see here. LOL
translation: I have been defeated as a typical liberal and will move on rather than be further embarrassed

Says the guy who insists that no one knew what the copy machine "was invented for" before it was created and people used it.

The only thing that's embarrassing is your lack of logic.

Inventions are created to solve problems and meet peoples desires in a way that people will see more value in the product or service than in the money the seller is asking for in exchange. Look at all the massive failures throughout history, and you quickly learn that those products failed because they didn't solve a problem or meet a desire at an affordable price point.

Proof that making products does not create demand, they tap into desires that people already have.

exactly sales estimates were for a a tiny number of machines because the world had made out fine without them and was thoroughly used to life that way. No one had any idea what they would really be used for and not in what numbers they would be used.
Internet same way, Krugman said it would be about like fax machine in importance 1+1=2

The issue at the time was the cost (both in the initial purchase and maintenance) and the quality of the copied output vs current methods.

I want a car that flies. No one has to invent it for me to realize that I want one. With current technology it's possible. The problem is cost, infrastructure, and the logistical air traffic patterns that would create.

If/ when someone solves those problems, we will have flying cars, until then I don't need someone to create one for me to know that I want it.

If more people had greater purchasing power, perhaps the flying car would be a reality even sooner, but without enough people to purchase one, the number that could be purchased would be relatively low and the per unit costs too high due to a lack of economies of scale.

Last edited:

The issue at the time was the cost .
You will always be slow if you don't know what the subject is. It was not the "issue at the time." It was whether demand precedes supply. Now you know it doesn't since, for example, nobody demanded a copy machine, pc, internet or Amazon.com. In fact even the inventors had no idea what their products would be used for let alone what the demand might be. Thus, the Libcommie idea that welfare will stimulate demand and the economy is false. Welfare merely churns the existing economy at the expense of new innovations,new supply, and real economic growth. Now you understand the nature of Republican supply-side capitalism-right?

Last edited:
wrong, nobody knew what the computer, copy machine, or Internet were invented for which is proved by what their inventors said about demand for them when they invented them. Specific demand is the absolute last thing they knew.

What bizarre statement.

No one knew what the COPY machine was for. Ok, moving on, nothing to see here. LOL
translation: I have been defeated as a typical liberal and will move on

Proof that making products does not create demand, they tap into desires that people already have.
Do you even live on the planet???

Tim Cook: “We Make Products People Didn’t Know They Wanted And Now Can’t Live Without.”

What bizarre statement.

Tim Cook: “We Make Products People Didn’t Know They Wanted And Now Can’t Live Without.”

I challenge you to name a single product created by Apple that was created that I can't describe a demand that existed with respect to any product you name, before it was created.

What bizarre statement.

I challenge you to name a single product created by Apple that was created that I can't describe a demand that existed with respect to any product you name, before it was created.
04_mac_tv.jpg

McIntosh TV

What bizarre statement.

04_mac_tv.jpg

McIntosh TV

Well, in this case, there was obviously little demand as 10k units were shipped and production was canceled after 4 months. I'm going to go out on a limb here, without a source and say that this product failed to recover its R&D costs.

So if you are arguing that I should explain the demand for a product that obviously had no demand, that seems contrary to the challenge I proposed.

So let me restate my challenge in light of this interesting answer.

The product you cite. It needs to have covered its development costs and earned its creators a profit. Otherwise, I'll simply argue there wasn't a demand for the product in question.

Having said that, this product is a perfect example of a product that tries to recognize wants and desires but fails to succeed because of the limitations at that time. I mean, arguably it's brilliant. Years ahead of its time, but it's a perfect example of my claim that products don't create demand, they are subject to them.

If the price had been $500 instead of $3000 (inflation adjusted) perhaps at that price point people would have accepted the value of the device relative to the cost. The demand would have pushed for the infrastructure to support it and it may have succeeded instead of failed.

Great example though. Thanks for adding that. Frankly, I had forgotten all about that. Nice trip down memory lane.

What bizarre statement.

notice how you have to change the subject because you lack the IQ for the subject?
If business knew what products people would demand 99% of new companies and products would not fail! Isn't learning fun?

and of course isn't it interesting that Hitler Stalin Mao Sanders also knew what products people demanded?

Last edited:

What bizarre statement.

04_mac_tv.jpg

McIntosh TV

Well, in this case, there was obviously little demand as 10k units were shipped and production was canceled after 4 months. I'm going to go out on a limb here, without a source and say that this product failed to recover its R&D costs.

So if you are arguing that I should explain the demand for a product that obviously had no demand, that seems contrary to the challenge I proposed.

The product you cite. It needs to have covered its development costs and earned its creators a profit. Otherwise, I'll simply argue there wasn't a demand for the product in question.

Having said that, this product is a perfect example of a product that tries to recognize wants and desires but fails to succeed because of the limitations at that time. I mean, arguably it's brilliant. Years ahead of its time, but it's a perfect example of my claim that products don't create demand, they are subject to them.

If the price had been $500 instead of $3000 (inflation adjusted) perhaps at that price point people would have accepted the value of the device relative to the cost. The demand would have pushed for the infrastructure to support it and it may have succeeded instead of failed.

Great example though. Thanks for adding that. Frankly, I had forgotten all about that. Nice trip down memory lane.
My point was simple..........Not all products produced sell.............Many fail.............They put out a supply of products hoping the demand will follow..............Catch 22 to your argument..............

Every new product line is a risk that the public will not want it.

What bizarre statement.

04_mac_tv.jpg

McIntosh TV

My point was simple..........Not all products produced sell.............Many fail.............They put out a supply of products hoping the demand will follow..............Catch 22 to your argument..............

Sure. The point I was making is that demand starts with desires.

I believe that healthy sane people, at a base level desire just a few things.

They want to be happy, healthy and realize well-being and be free from unwanted pain, suffering, and sickness. Everything else we do radiates from those desires.

We buy what we buy to meet our demand to fulfill those desires.

It is the demand to actualize those base desires that are the genesis of the buyer-seller relationship.

When people invent new things, they are tapping into the demand to realize desires that already exist.

However, the desire to acquire goods and services is not the same as the means to acquire them.

You can create the best idea in the world. The demand can only exist if people have the means to acquire what they desire.

Thus, a monetary system that recognizes that demand starts with consumers wish to realize certain base desires must also ensure that the system promotes the means to purchase those things as well.

The reason that there are almost no cars in North Korea isn't that people don't desire them, it's because people lack the means to purchase them.

As far as producers, like a Steve Jobs. His brilliance wasn't just inventing the iPhone. It was doing it in such a way that it met our base desires but at a price that people had the means to acquire. That means bringing suppliers and producers together. That means inventing new techniques in production, that means communicating your vision with investors and with potential customers.....

Steve didn't "create demand" he realized it.

Tim Cook is not a product innovator - a slimmer iphone is not innovation, everybody already wants a slimmer iphone.

Ed, here's the deal, you are 100% correct on the one-in-a-million example you provide. Steve Jobs was a genius, generational genius, so that makes him something like 1 : 7,000,000,000. But you mentioned someone else earlier so make that 2 : 7,000,000,000.

If you had actual evidence like, 10,000 SBA loan applications or actual experience like decades of restructuring commercial debt, had started businesses, been an employer, judged entrepreneurship contests, etc. then you would have a legitimate voice in this argument. You have a very loud and shrill voice but it is uninformed and unproductive.

04_mac_tv.jpg

McIntosh TV

Sure. The point I was making is that demand starts with desires.

I believe that healthy sane people, at a base level desire just a few things.

They want to be happy, healthy and realize well-being and be free from unwanted pain, suffering, and sickness. Everything else we do radiates from those desires.

We buy what we buy to meet our demand to fulfill those desires.

It is the demand to actualize those base desires that are the genesis of the buyer-seller relationship.

When people invent new things, they are tapping into the demand to realize desires that already exist.

However, the desire to acquire goods and services is not the same as the means to acquire them.

You can create the best idea in the world. The demand can only exist if people have the means to acquire what they desire.

Thus, a monetary system that recognizes that demand starts with consumers wish to realize certain base desires must also ensure that the system promotes the means to purchase those things as well.

The reason that there are almost no cars in North Korea isn't that people don't desire them, it's because people lack the means to purchase them.

As far as producers, like a Steve Jobs. His brilliance wasn't just inventing the iPhone. It was doing it in such a way that it met our base desires but at a price that people had the means to acquire. That means bringing suppliers and producers together. That means inventing new techniques in production, that means communicating your vision with investors and with potential customers.....

Steve didn't "create demand" he realized it.
It is still splitting hairs................Inventors try to invent and produce something that people will LIKE and BUY.............It doesn't always mean the demand was there............Perhaps the NEED WAS THERE...................doesn't mean everyone was DEMANDING IT.

Forum List

Back