Rick Perry: Middle Income Americans Don't Pay Enough Income Taxes

half-of-america-has-25-of-the-wealth.jpg
Link?

Here is one I found.

Figure_1.gif

Who Rules America: Wealth, Income, and Power

So that's a "yes"?

Yes, everyone should pay their fair share.

Do you oppose that?

P.S. - still waiting on that link.

The income tax is a tax on income, not on people.

No liberal supports raising taxes on the poor. We support lowering taxes on the poor, and raising taxes on the rich.

Half of America already pays nothing. No income tax whatsoever.

How much lower would you like it?

Severe income and wealth inequality in the US is not esoteric knowledge.

From Stiglitz:
I t’s no use pretending that what has obviously happened has not in fact happened. The upper 1 percent of Americans are now taking in nearly a quarter of the nation’s income every year. In terms of wealth rather than income, the top 1 percent control 40 percent. Their lot in life has improved considerably. Twenty-five years ago, the corresponding figures were 12 percent and 33 percent.
Of the 1%, by the 1%, for the 1% | Society | Vanity Fair

Yes, everyone should pay their fair share.

Do you oppose that?

P.S. - still waiting on that link.

No liberal supports raising taxes on the poor. We support lowering taxes on the poor, and raising taxes on the rich.

Everyone who works pays payroll taxes. Payroll taxes bring in ~ 40% of all federal tax revenue - about the same as income taxes. People who work pay 15% of the first dollar they make in social security taxes. People who make over $100K, on the other hand, pay 0% on income over that amount. How about we tax income over $100k one or two percent, and use it to lower the tax burden on the working poor?

You will have to explain to me the fairness in half the country paying for the other half.

I'm not rich, not born to wealth.

My grandfathers were a coal miner and a subsistence farmer.

My Dad was a high school principal.

I am a truck driver...I joined the Army, did my time, learned a skill, used my VA small business loan to buy my first truck and through hard work and the grace of God, I have a few trucks and a few great employees and make a comfortable living.

And I pay my fair share.

Now explain why 50% of Americans should get a pass, while demanding that I pay more.

I'll wait.

Last edited:
I’ve been blissfully off the grid for the past few days, cycling in Western New York. (Allegany State Park is absolutely gorgeous. Made me be glad to be paying taxes in New York State.) I could forget about the debt ceiling fiasco, 9 percent unemployment, the tea party, runaway health spending, global warming, the NBA lockout…

But back in the real world, I learn from newly minted GOP presidential candidate Rick Perry what’s wrong with America—that middle income Americans don’t pay enough taxes. Really.
Rick Perry: Middle Income Americans Don't Pay Enough Income Taxes - Forbes

I'm sure the denizens of this board will agree with him completely, what with him being a Republican and all.

Perry says that people should pay taxes and the left whines. Buffet says the same thing about the same people and they cheer.

:cuckoo:

You will half to explain to me the fairness in half the country paying for the other half.

I am a truck driver...I joined the Army, did my time, learned a skill, used my VA small business loan to buy my first truck and through hard work and the grace of God, I have a few trucks and a few great employees and make a comfortable living.

And I pay my fair share.

Now explain why 50% of Americans should get a pass, while demanding that I pay more.

I'll wait.

This situation is a result of irresponsible tax policy enacted by Republicans.

Taxes need to be raised across the board.

Not just on the poor or the wealthy. On everyone.

You will half to explain to me the fairness in half the country paying for the other half.

And I pay my fair share.

I'll wait.

A family of four earning $30,000 may pay no federal income tax, but it pays $4,590 in payroll taxes (including the employer’s share, which economists believe is ultimately paid by the employee in the form of lower wages). Payroll taxes are much bigger than income taxes for most families.

Income-and-Payroll-Tax-Burden.png

Among working households, 82 percent pay more payroll tax than income tax. They also pay federal excise taxes on gasoline, beer, wine, liquor, tires, and cigarettes. And state and local taxes are notoriously regressive. Feel better, governor?

Okay, here are some facts, courtesy of the Tax Policy Center. They may not allay Mr. Perry’s dismay, but they should assuage the concerns of anyone with a soul.

*]Of the 46% of households who don’t pay income tax, nearly 2/3 pay payroll taxes.
*Of the 18% who pay neither income nor payroll taxes, more than half are elderly.
*More than 1/3 have incomes below $20,000. (Note: Ronald Reagan made the decision in 1986 to exempt people with incomes below the poverty line from federal income tax. Twenty-five years later, that still seems like a good call.)
*Only 1% of nontaxpaying households are nonelderly with incomes over $20,000. I’m dismayed about them too governor. Maybe we should close some of the loopholes that allowed almost 1,500 millionaires to escape income tax in 2009.

I’ve been blissfully off the grid for the past few days, cycling in Western New York. (Allegany State Park is absolutely gorgeous. Made me be glad to be paying taxes in New York State.) I could forget about the debt ceiling fiasco, 9 percent unemployment, the tea party, runaway health spending, global warming, the NBA lockout…

But back in the real world, I learn from newly minted GOP presidential candidate Rick Perry what’s wrong with America—that middle income Americans don’t pay enough taxes. Really.

I'm sure the denizens of this board will agree with him completely, what with him being a Republican and all.

Perry says that people should pay taxes and the left whines. Buffet says the same thing about the same people and they cheer.

:cuckoo:

So Perry wants taxes increased on higher income earners like Buffet does?

Thanks for the link Art. This one has some data I can sink my teeth into.

But that really has nothing to do with a thread on income tax.

What ever income the wealth make is taxed at the highest rate.

And 50% of the country pays nothing, but demand that everyone else pay more.

And Obama isn't talking about taxing billionaires, or multi-millionaires...the liberals want to tax people and small businesses that make $250,000.

Are they the 1%ers?

HELL NO.

So all the wealth crap is bullshit.

A red herring.

How is that fair.

That's a great article thanks for sharing it.:clap2:

And Obama isn't talking about taxing billionaires, or multi-millionaires...the liberals want to tax people and small businesses that make $250,000.

Are they the 1%ers?
HELL NO.

A red herring.

How is that fair.

We put the question to the Tax Policy Center, which has a computer model of the tax system similar to the ones used by the Treasury Department and Congress’ Joint Committee on Taxation.

For simplicity, we’ll just focus on the over-$250,000 group. Those reporting adjusted gross income of more than $250,000 to the IRS are projected to make up 2 percent of households next year, when the new president will take office. Those folks will earn 24.1 percent of all income, and pay 43.6 percent of all personal federal income taxes, the Tax Policy Center figures. Under either Obama or Clinton, they might pay even more.

Americans Making More than $250,000 | FactCheck.org

And I pay my fair share.

I'll wait.

Taxes need to be raised across the board.

Not just on the poor or the wealthy. On everyone.

Thank you.

I've been saying this exactly.

Are they the 1%ers?
HELL NO.

A red herring.

How is that fair.

We put the question to the Tax Policy Center, which has a computer model of the tax system similar to the ones used by the Treasury Department and Congress’ Joint Committee on Taxation.

For simplicity, we’ll just focus on the over-$250,000 group. Those reporting adjusted gross income of more than $250,000 to the IRS are projected to make up 2 percent of households next year, when the new president will take office. Those folks will earn 24.1 percent of all income, and pay 43.6 percent of all personal federal income taxes, the Tax Policy Center figures. Under either Obama or Clinton, they might pay even more.
Americans Making More than $250,000 | FactCheck.org

1% of the wealth.

See that's what happens when you jump back and forth between concepts in the same thread.

You all are talking about wealth, not income.

But now it's about income, not wealth.

How is taxing folks making less than a couple million dollars going to change the wealth distribution?

That was your point...the point of posting the links on wealth disparity.

So make up your mind...is it about wealth...or income.

Everyone who works pays payroll taxes. Payroll taxes bring in ~ 40% of all federal tax revenue - about the same as income taxes. People who work pay 15% of the first dollar they make in social security taxes. People who make over $100K, on the other hand, pay 0% on income over that amount. How about we tax income over $100k one or two percent, and use it to lower the tax burden on the working poor?

What part of this post is unclear to you?

Eric Cantor says​

almost 50 percent of Americans don't pay income taxes​

rulings%2Ftom-true.gif

PolitiFact Virginia | Eric Cantor says almost 50 percent of Americans don't pay income taxes

Who pays payroll tax?

Last edited:

Forum List

Back