Rick Perry and Gardasil

I try not to take USAR's posts seriously, but the worst that can be said for Perry in this case is that maybe he took the hard sell of a pharmacuetical company too seriously. They made their product sound promising and beneficial.
.....And, there's the outside-risk that the Black-population might also benefit, from this vaccine, Right?

:rolleyes:

I try not to take USAR's posts seriously, but the worst that can be said for Perry in this case is that maybe he took the hard sell of a pharmacuetical company too seriously. They made their product sound promising and beneficial.

I also don't think Palin is running. Nothing she is doing indicates she is inching towards a run.

Joe, a staggering number of Americans test positive for HPV. Please go to this link.

If 75% of Americans were drunk drivers out killing someone on every drinking occasion, and too drunk to know they did so, so they drove home; you can better believe some measures would be taken to stop it.

This isn't JUST about STDs. HPV is a seemingly innocuous virus, but over the long term it increases the incidence of cancer in women. Looking at the big picture, who will pay for all of their expensive treatment and end of life care?

So many issues have this double edged quality to them.

You are now an official Liberal.

Looking at both-sides, of an issue....even if it hasn't touched your Family....yet....can DO that.

Congratulations!!

You brain appears to be in full-working-order.

241.png

LOL.

My leanings are pretty much issue specific. But working in public health as I have for most of my career, I see that many things are not as we envision from our towers of ivory!~ (Then again, it could be that I have been to law school in my old age, and was taught to argue both sides....FERVENTLY!)

There are many thing we do which seemingly are humanitarian in nature, but which actually directly affect us. HPV is one of those things.

Last edited:

I also don't think Palin is running. Nothing she is doing indicates she is inching towards a run.

Joe, a staggering number of Americans test positive for HPV. Please go to this link.

If 75% of Americans were drunk drivers out killing someone on every drinking occasion, and too drunk to know they did so, so they drove home; you can better believe some measures would be taken to stop it.

Becki,

I'm not taking a stand one way or the other. I've heard criticism and I've heard praise of Perry's decision.

I was refuting USAR's claim that this was some horrible statist decision Perry made, when he was probably just erring on the side of caution, and how Palin would never do that (because she'd quit first). I know for libertarian conservatives, this smacks of "government knows best" kind of stuff.

For the record, I think Perry is the best and most credible candidate the GOP can put up this time. If he gets in the race, I'll support him.

Becki,

I'm not taking a stand one way or the other. I've heard criticism and I've heard praise of Perry's decision.

I was refuting USAR's claim that this was some horrible statist decision Perry made, when he was probably just erring on the side of caution, and how Palin would never do that (because she'd quit first). I know for libertarian conservatives, this smacks of "government knows best" kind of stuff.

For the record, I think Perry is the best and most credible candidate the GOP can put up this time. If he gets in the race, I'll support him.
Palin stepping down has nothing to do with this. Also her stepping down has had no effect hurting her. Her mid term endorsment victories proved that as well as her moving ahead of Bachmann in the ABC Washington Times poll the other day. You just threw that little quitting tidbit out there for spite.

Becki,

Well, thanks, Joe, but I was addressing only a portion of your post, "but the worst that can be said for Perry in this case is that maybe he took the hard sell of a pharmaceutical company too seriously". The stats on this horrible cancer-causing agent are so staggering, a responsible person would look on it, fall on his knees and beg God for mercy. and cry a bucket of tears for the sick world people are brought into and a future of hormonal imbalances that could make any one of them not choose the cloistered life. Governor Perry made a choice showing mercy, because the type of cancers caused by this varmit are as deadly as the black plague, but it's a little wonky because the victim doesn't die in less than 2 weeks. This virus is so insidious, it figured out a way to take out 75% of human beings while repopulating itself with a 40 year grace period in which its host, tagged by annoying warts and sores, lives to let it have a fun life off its host who may not be responsible for contracting the disease, as in the case of so many mentally challenged youngsters who are raped or seduced by carriers of one or more of the 13 serious types of HPV.

I haven't decided for sure who I'll vote for either, but this is one issue for which Perry should be praised for doing all he could do to eradicate this plague, not drubbed on through the misinformation some may have. Even the most zealous of us knows superficially Christ was a merciful person and we should be too.

HPV is a 21st century vulture, looking for victims. Like most predators, it has its wiles, most of them microscopic, but its feast costs its host pain, sorrow, sadness, fear, and even death. A merciful person would act against HPV if he had a hammer.

Rick Perry did just that.

Becki,

Well, thanks, Joe, but I was addressing only a portion of your post, "but the worst that can be said for Perry in this case is that maybe he took the hard sell of a pharmaceutical company too seriously". The stats on this horrible cancer-causing agent are so staggering, a responsible person would look on it, fall on his knees and beg God for mercy. and cry a bucket of tears for the sick world people are brought into and a future of hormonal imbalances that could make any one of them not choose the cloistered life. Governor Perry made a choice showing mercy, because the type of cancers caused by this varmit are as deadly as the black plague, but it's a little wonky because the victim doesn't die in less than 2 weeks. This virus is so insidious, it figured out a way to take out 75% of human beings while repopulating itself with a 40 year grace period in which its host, tagged by annoying warts and sores, lives to let it have a fun life off its host who may not be responsible for contracting the disease, as in the case of so many mentally challenged youngsters who are raped or seduced by carriers of one or more of the 13 serious types of HPV.

I haven't decided for sure who I'll vote for either, but this is one issue for which Perry should be praised for doing all he could do to eradicate this plague, not drubbed on through the misinformation some may have. Even the most zealous of us knows superficially Christ was a merciful person and we should be too.

HPV is a 21st century vulture, looking for victims. Like most predators, it has its wiles, most of them microscopic, but its feast costs its host pain, sorrow, sadness, fear, and even death. A merciful person would act against HPV if he had a hammer.

Good description. Some people, though don't even have the warts and sores. They just have the virus. I have known of some who NEVER had so much as a bump but they tested positive for HPV. And with some the warts and sores are high in the vaginal tract and therefore unseen. In those cases, it is even more insidious because the potential victim has no warning whatsoever. Anyone who sees something like a wart of a sore can opt out of the encounter, assuming that is their value system. But the person who has no visible objective symptoms can spread this virus ad infinitum.

Palin stepping down has nothing to do with this. Also her stepping down has had no effect hurting her. Her mid term endorsment victories proved that as well as her moving ahead of Bachmann in the ABC Washington Times poll the other day. You just threw that little quitting tidbit out there for spite.

Well, yeah, I guess I do have contempt for a public official who quits her job to go appear on the network with the midgets and sextuplets to get a million dollars an episode. She took money from contributors and votes from citizens to do that job, and she walked out on it for some easy cash.

And her mid-term endorsements were a mixed bag. Her pet in Alaska got beaten in a WRITE IN CAMPAIGN. So did Sharon Angle and Ms. "I'm not a witch" whatever her name was. These are all elections the Republicans SHOULD have won.

This isn't JUST about STDs. HPV is a seemingly innocuous virus, but over the long term it increases the incidence of cancer in women. Looking at the big picture, who will pay for all of their expensive treatment and end of life care?

So many issues have this double edged quality to them.

Looking at both-sides, of an issue....even if it hasn't touched your Family....yet....can DO that.

Congratulations!!

241.png

LOL.

My leanings are pretty much issue specific. But working in public health as I have for most of my career, I see that many things are not as we envision from our towers of ivory!~ (Then again, it could be that I have been to law school in my old age, and was taught to argue both sides....FERVENTLY!)

There are many thing we do which seemingly are humanitarian in nature, but which actually directly affect us. HPV is one of those things.
I think you are an erudite, scholarly woman of the health field, and I am honored to be posting on the same board, Sunshine. Thank you for your mercy and wisdom when you speak about this insidious disease that lurks like a vicious vampire in carrier epithelial as well as corporal cells, but reinforces all we know about trying to do the right thing. I feel we are all better persons when we see this particular olive-branch post of yours.

Becki and Sunshine- Based on what you describe, I would agree Gov. Perry made the right call.

However, he also went farther than anyone else has up to this point, and his own legislature overrode him on the mandetory part. Only five states are vaccinating against it right now (including, ironically, Alaska).

I will admit my own knowledge on this subject is limited, and if I plan to answer the Governor's critics as a supporter, I'd better be better informed.

I also know one of the main conservative objections to this is that these shots will encourage teenage promiscuity, which is just bunk.

The Texas Legislature later overturned his Executive Order. At the time, social conservatives were NOT happy, saying that the vaccine would definitely encourage sexual promiscuity among teenagers. Perry maintains that the shot is important in potentially preventing cervical cancer.

Profound ignorance, typical of he social right.

Teenagers need no ‘encouragement’ with regard to ‘sexual promiscuity.’

Otherwise, Perry’s EO was a rare example of intelligence and responsible governance, a decision predicated on facts, not dogma – very ‘un-conservative-like.’

And he’ll be crucified by the right accordingly.

Congratulations!!

241.png

LOL.

I think you are an erudite, scholarly woman of the health field, and I am honored to be posting on the same board, Sunshine. Thank you for your mercy and wisdom when you speak about this insidious disease that lurks like a vicious vampire in carrier epithelial as well as corporal cells, but reinforces all we know about trying to do the right thing. I feel we are all better persons when we see this particular olive-branch post of yours.

Thanks! For a moment, I looked behind me to see who you might be talking to! LOL

What most don't realize is that most of our benevolence arises from self interest. If we do not provide public health services, then we risk our own becoming infected. If we do not help those who are homeless and have no food, then we deal with far more dangerous behaviors from them. The devastation of disease, homelessness, and hunger affects us all. These issues are not right/left issues. They are American issues.

Becki,

Good description. Some people, though don't even have the warts and sores. They just have the virus. I have known of some who NEVER had so much as a bump but they tested positive for HPV. And with some the warts and sores are high in the vaginal tract and therefore unseen. In those cases, it is even more insidious because the potential victim has no warning whatsoever. Anyone who sees something like a wart of a sore can opt out of the encounter, assuming that is their value system. But the person who has no visible objective symptoms can spread this virus ad infinitum.
Thanks. There's nothing finer than hearing it from someone who is on the front lines out in the health care field who knows the monster HPV well.

Thanks. There's nothing finer than hearing it from someone who is on the front lines out in the health care field who knows the monster HPV well.

This all brings back a LOT of memories. I've been so fortunate in my career. I've had patients who had active TB, but I've never had a positive PPD. Of course, the HPV issues is a nonentity for me as those behaviors are off limits to a clinician. The worst I've ever gotten was head lice! LOL. There is a price for everything it would seem.

Becki and Sunshine- Based on what you describe, I would agree Gov. Perry made the right call.

However, he also went farther than anyone else has up to this point, and his own legislature overrode him on the mandetory part. Only five states are vaccinating against it right now (including, ironically, Alaska).

I will admit my own knowledge on this subject is limited, and if I plan to answer the Governor's critics as a supporter, I'd better be better informed.

I also know one of the main conservative objections to this is that these shots will encourage teenage promiscuity, which is just bunk.
Well, most people who raise a little flock of kids haven't had the experience before this life, and they don't know all the things that can happen in life to a kid to make her or him to have a mind of their own. It's hard to be right about an issue as well as have a merciful attitude toward the one that erred.

LOL.

Thanks! For a moment, I looked behind me to see who you might be talking to! LOL

What most don't realize is that most of our benevolence arises from self interest. If we do not provide public health services, then we risk our own becoming infected. If we do not help those who are homeless and have no food, then we deal with far more dangerous behaviors from them. The devastation of disease, homelessness, and hunger affects us all. These issues are not right/left issues. They are American issues.
Yes they are. And if a leader fails to deal with them, he is history at the next poll. None of us wants to be taxed to death, and if all children born were darling angels and never made any mistakes and grew into perfectly wise adults, we wouldn't be. Oh, they had it right in the bible when they called us "children". Even when we're adults, most of us are still not mature in one area or another. Kholberg's theory of moral development nails it best, imho. Not many people make it to the higher levels on his scale. You're nearer the top than you may know.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back