Rewriting the Dictionary - Anchor Baby now "offensive"

A decision by the American Heritage Dictionary to revise its definition of "anchor baby" -- labeling it an offensive and disparaging term -- is an attempt to manipulate the "linguistic landscape" and push a leftist agenda, some opponents of illegal immigration say.

"Anchor baby" was among roughly 10,000 words -- including "hoodie" and "babydaddy" -- added to the dictionary's fifth edition last month.

Read more: Revised Definition Of 'Anchor Baby' Part Of Leftist Agenda, Critics Say | Fox News

Control language; control thought. :eusa_shhh:
It's always been offensive. Just like the word bastard.

Where is your outrage over bastard? Or for that matter ******, ****, or WOP?

Oh right, your outrage is selective.

:thup:

I wasn't aware we had to go thru a litany of what we find offensive before posting on a topic so infrequently discussed. BUT, since you asked, ( and did not give her a chance to answer) I find all of that offensive except WOP, becasue its stupid, Italians ( and Sicilians ) had papers;)

so your OPINION is a that it is a slur, so those that feel as you do , will now, wash it out of the lexicon. thank you comrade.

and as far as strawman, you're OPINION that it is a slur, and should be treated as such is a Trojan horse:lol:...nothing more. what would you propose btw, what would you call them?

I just did, you are free to weigh in.
seriously? Just because it is offensive does not mean the word will be wiped out...shoot....the word "fuck, fucker, fucking idiot etc" is very offensive, but the word and derivatives of it is used all the time....nothing stops people from using it.

I'm with coyote on this one, I have never seen the words anchor baby used where it was not meant as a slur towards the illegal parents of the legal child....or on those lines....and that is not necessarily a "bad" thing that the term was used as a "negative" or as an "insult" if there was reason to use the term in that way.....it's not a sin or against the law to be ''offensive'' with our speech...it comes within the realm of free speech, imho.

We won't be banning the term on this site, so no worries about the liberal mods like me here, taking away your free speech....and truly, no one is taking away your or others free speech by one dictionary saying it is meant as an offensive term....I personally think, as I said above, it IS meant to be an offensive term towards the certain illegals here in this country plopping babies out, for the purpose of gaining a backdoor citizenship for their child and themselves....

its a simple colloquialism. it means what it means, I don't see any negativity attached to the term, it is a simple descriptor....

and as far as it being wiped out, how are we doing on illegal alien? That phrase is not actively being purged? this is no different.

I have never seen the words anchor baby used where it was not meant as a slur towards the illegal parents of the legal child
can you provide me with some examples, please?

and I will ask you then the same Care, what would you call it?
Well, if I were talking about the illegals that came here specifically to plop out a child so that they could have a child with USA citizenship, I could very well use the term for their children "anchor babies" if I was pissed enough about the situation, which would be an offensive term for the anchor babies themselves...though I probably would have meant the slur more towards their parents.

The "anchor baby" is not the perp though, so I can see how it is offensive to call these children anchor babies....as it stands by law, at this moment, they are citizens of the USA, no less of a citizen than you and me.

Dictionaries get rewritten every year for a reason.

What amuses me is that you are offended by the fact that 'anchor baby' is now offensive... by definition. :lol:

I am offended by the fact that 'redneck' and 'hillbilly' are not offensive.
The left has decided that you shouldn't be offended.

Just ask them.

A decision by the American Heritage Dictionary to revise its definition of "anchor baby" -- labeling it an offensive and disparaging term -- is an attempt to manipulate the "linguistic landscape" and push a leftist agenda, some opponents of illegal immigration say.

"Anchor baby" was among roughly 10,000 words -- including "hoodie" and "babydaddy" -- added to the dictionary's fifth edition last month.

Read more: Revised Definition Of 'Anchor Baby' Part Of Leftist Agenda, Critics Say | Fox News

Dictionaries get rewritten every year for a reason.

What amuses me is that you are offended by the fact that 'anchor baby' is now offensive... by definition. :lol:

I'm questioning the validity of a dictionary that contains the word "anchor baby".

Term "anchor baby" implies one natural born citizen's citizenship is somehow less valid than another's - and its simply not true.

Term "anchor baby" implies one natural born citizen's citizenship is somehow less valid than another's - and its simply not true.
That's not what it implies.

Oh, wait, I forgot...you're a liberal, so you get to define all words.

Kerry on.

Kerry on.

Sure, its just a coincidence the term is a favorite of folks who want to deny citizenship to children of illegals born on our soil.

In fact - lets just go ahead and say all derogatory terms are just figments of the lefts' imagination. All Republicans are just super-nice people that want to give good janitorial work to young poor kids instead of bothering them with all those silly word papers in class.

Oh - wait, I forget, you're a rightie, you get to decide whether or not someone is offended.

Last edited:

What's offensive is illegals coming to this great country on their own free will AND break our laws. No one force illegals to come this country but we must shed a tear for there coyote ways, bullshit. You come to this country to obtain a drivers license which by the way is a privilege and expect us all to acknowledge the coyote way of breaking our law and be forgiven....go pound sand up a cats ass and tamp it.

Some of us boys need to purchase a few of those rpg's.

I can't find the link but the OAS is going after murka for the Cuban wet foot /dry foot policy and asking that it be implemented for ALL nations. Ready for some fun ? :lol::lol::lol:

No it doesnt, but you have such a skewed vision of reality.

NJ public school teachers have been deputized to enforce the "offensive language clause" included in Section 4A of the Harrasment, Intimidation, and Bullying Law. Failure to enforce offensive language infractions (and other offenses like tickling) on and off campus could result in loss of license and/or civil penalties. I just think we need an updated handbook. Lol

It's always been offensive. Just like the word bastard.

Where is your outrage over bastard? Or for that matter ******, ****, or WOP?

Oh right, your outrage is selective.

:thup:

I wasn't aware we had to go thru a litany of what we find offensive before posting on a topic so infrequently discussed. BUT, since you asked, ( and did not give her a chance to answer) I find all of that offensive except WOP, becasue its stupid, Italians ( and Sicilians ) had papers;)
All those words are defined as offensive terms in the dictionary. Where is your outrage of that fact?

Are you an anchor baby?

Anchor baby = a child that is born in the USA whose parent/s came to the country ILLEGALLY and now want to use the baby as a stepping stone to ANCHOR their stay in the USA.

Illegal = A person who breaks the law/s aka sovereign law. Those who enter ANY country without permission is an illegal for committing an illegal act.

If any of you find that NOT PC, well too bad. If any of you find it offensive, that is also too bad.

Kerry on.

Sure, its just a coincidence the term is a favorite of folks who want to deny citizenship to children of illegals born on our soil.

In fact - lets just go ahead and say all derogatory terms are just figments of the lefts' imagination. All Republicans are just super-nice people that want to give good janitorial work to young poor kids instead of bothering them with all those silly word papers in class.

Oh - wait, I forget, you're a rightie, you get to decide whether or not someone is offended.
Can you show me in the Constitution where it says there is a right to not be offended?

Kthnxbai.

Forum List

Back