Rewriting History

Rewriting History
The same man who was one of the lead architects in creating the Common Core State Standards Initiative, David Coleman, has now redesigned the Advanced Placement United States History (APUSH) course and exam. Aside from the fact that these huge changes have received almost no media coverage (possibly because the Common Core advocates at the Gates Foundation are now funding education coverage by NBC) and they greatly remove control from parents, teachers, and students, the revision aims to teach a biased version of American history that largely focuses on the supposed faults of our country rather than our accomplishments.

While multiple practice exams for the course were previously available to the public online, the College Board, the organization responsible for AP tests, will now only release a single practice exam to teachers of the course. If a teacher discloses the content of the sample exam, he will be penalized and possibly stripped of his right to teach Advanced Placement courses. This lack of transparency is an attempt to silence the public as well as to foster reliance on the state for education. Since students can no longer self-prep for the exam, they must take the course to discover what material will be covered on the exam.

--

Along with the grand encroachment on teacher’s freedoms in the classroom, the material presented in the framework is clearly biased to portray American history from a Leftist point of view. The course morphs the discipline of history into a subject that more closely resembles sociology. The framework does not emphasize student knowledge of important figures and events that shaped our great nation but rather the development of “historical thinking skills” with much emphasis on changing roles of race and ethnicity, gender, social classes, and power relations throughout our country’s history. In fact, the required themes and objectives are: “Work, Exchange, and Technology; Identity; Ideas, Beliefs, and Culture; America in the World; Environment and Geography; Politics and Power; Peopling” with no mention of figures and events.

The philosophy behind the revision of APUSH is flawed in itself, but the view of history it seeks to present is historically dishonest and utterly dangerous to the future of our country. The most blatant inaccuracy is evident in the framework’s discussion of the Founding of our nation. Incredibly, George Washington is only mentioned in passing reference to his Farewell Address not in regards to his heroic sacrifices as a general and the first leader of our country. Furthermore, no other Founding Fathers are mentioned nor are any of the events or principles that led to the American War for Independence.

Most amazingly, neither the Declaration of Independence nor the Constitution are mentioned in great detail or even listed as suggested reading (however Betty Friedan’s The Feminist Mystique is suggested reading, placing it and other biased sources above some of the most important documents to the American people). The theories and principles behind these two founding works are never discussed and neither is any mention of how our government is organized. The lack of import placed on these essential documents does a great disservice to the future voters of this country and further promotes a reliance on the state for educating voters with what it deems necessary rather than allowing individuals to think for themselves.

What the framework does mention regarding the Founding of our nation (and in every historical period following) is the apparent tension and inequality among various minority groups. This topic is a major theme of the new course at the expense of the study of influential people and events that formed and maintained the United States. While it may be important to study the trends and conflicts between groups in America, it is academically dishonest to slant history to overwhelmingly focus on these aspects without, for example, mentioning major battles or political conflicts during the Civil War, the Gettysburg Address, the fact that Lincoln was assassinated, key details and motives in World War I, or even Hitler’s existence and prominence in World War II.​

It's a Marxist Conspiracy, that's what it is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I suppose it was only a matter of time before the right accused the left of what the right has been doing for years. The Ministry of Truth, personified by PoliticalChic and others on the far right fringe of the GOP have been rewriting history in threads on this forum for years. Fox news and AM Radio 'philosophers' have been doing so for more than a decade.

What this tread proved, is that Daveman is slow to the take. That is all.

Question: Are you interested in absolute truth and factual information or just those facts that bolster your personal cause?

My personal cause is obvious, facts and truth. I stand by my post above and can post a dozen or more threads wherein PoliticalChic abused history for her purposes. She has made a career attacking Woodrow Wilson, FDR and Obama using obscure sources (arguments from authority, appeals to faith, appeals to tradition, appeals to ignorance and many more; she is especially adept on the use of the ad hominem attack) as does Fox News, Limbaugh and other AM Radio 'philosophers' in their on going attacks on President Obama. Much of which is parroted on this forum by self defined conservatives, like you.

Let me guess...you own all of Howard Zinn's "history" texts, don't you?

:lmao:

And I'm sure you have Rush Revere....
As usual, you are wrong.

Seriously, dood? Zinn? When Marxists memorialize a guy, you know he's a lying sack of shit.

Ad homs? lol

marxist.jpg

I'm guessing that you're a liberal by your inability to understand the English language.

1) My comparison between Marx and Jefferson was an example of the type of thing that COULD happen. I didn't say that it DID happen. No link necessary.

2) Read my signature line. Jefferson considered himself to be a Christian (his words -- not mine). Proof that you Progs are attempting to rewrite history. Jefferson was opposed to a state church that demanded adherence. He wasn't opposed to Jesus Christ.

Pay closer attention next time.

False premises, distortions and lies, the ONLY thing conservatives have today....

In spite of right-wing Christian attempts to rewrite history to make Jefferson into a Christian, little about his philosophy resembles that of Christianity. Although Jefferson in the Declaration of Independence wrote of the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God, there exists nothing in the Declaration about Christianity.

Although Jefferson believed in a Creator, his concept of it resembled that of the god of deism (the term "Nature's God" used by deists of the time). With his scientific bent, Jefferson sought to organize his thoughts on religion. He rejected the superstitions and mysticism of Christianity and even went so far as to edit the gospels, removing the miracles and mysticism of Jesus (see The Jefferson Bible) leaving only what he deemed the correct moral philosophy of Jesus.

The whole history of these books [the Gospels] is so defective and doubtful that it seems vain to attempt minute enquiry into it: and such tricks have been played with their text, and with the texts of other books relating to them, that we have a right, from that cause, to entertain much doubt what parts of them are genuine. In the New Testament there is internal evidence that parts of it have proceeded from an extraordinary man; and that other parts are of the fabric of very inferior minds. It is as easy to separate those parts, as to pick out diamonds from dunghills.

-Thomas Jefferson

Thomas Jefferson quotes

See? I knew you would reject the truth. It's the Liberal Democrat way.

Truth? That TJ didn't believe in YOUR mumba jumba, so you and the other 'wall builders' are trying to create another myth?

"So, the left screws up education...and it's the RIGHT'S fault"

Nope there is plenty of blame to go around. The biggest hindrance to education is the breakdown of the family structure and inconsistency at home. There is a good size population of parents who are totally apathetic to their child's education... and then the kids don't care. Somehow it is the job of schools to fix the problem and frankly they cannot fix it and schools cannot make kids home lives better. So until all that gets fixed low information people will blame the teachers, schools, guidance counselors, and others associated with it. They will clamor for more accountability and more rigorous testing(a totally moronic idea) and expect teachers to be raise the whiners beloved test scores. Perhaps if a kid was truant or not putting any effort into school the parents should be fined. Maybe that's the first step.

AP history assumes the students have some background in history, and capable of going beyond the George Washington chopped down a cherry tree history. As one goes up the grade-ladder in teaching history, history becomes more truthful, with more thinking and less memorization. Should AP history be a course that has some value in life and citizenship or just more cherry-tree patriotism? Should history be used for indoctrination or learning our past, as historians have learned the past? What should be the purpose of AP history?

AP courses didn't exist when I went to high school, but the difference between high school and the university was night and day. High school used one book, a text book. At the U. we used primary sources: Essays, letters, newspapers, magazines, books, Bios and AutoBios; era novels & nonfiction, foreign and domestic; photographs, art and poetry,

One of the problems with history is that it doesn't stop, and new history just keeps occurring, and that means something must be dropped or reduced to include some of the new. Think of the history that has occurred just since the Great Depression. Reminds me of the cartoon and the teacher yelling at the class as the class leaves for summer vacation, "By the way we won World War ll." It may be a rare history class that makes it to the end, or even the to the end of an outdated textbook.
When a topic is dropped or reduced because a new topic is added, usually a political hue and cry goes up accusing schools and historians of all sorts of nefarious motives. The classic was perhaps Lynne Cheney's fuss when a new history framework came out in the Nineties.

There was this crying and whining "more accountability" and "more rigorous" and an anti teacher sentiment as though their exorbitant salaries are the cause of economic problems and the blame for society's ills. So then the common core comes. Now that is no good. I understand. I would hope those that were the whiners and complainers are happy with the mess they have helped to create. I don't blame the teachers or schools. I place the blame on those who started the fire to make all these changes. Now they have to reverse the trend.
So, the left screws up education...and it's the RIGHT'S fault.

Conservatives: Here, let me show why this social program you like is so dysfunctional (Schools) because we gutted funding for it, so now it should be stopped because obviously government doesn't work.

The United States is lagging far behind much of the developed world when it comes to enrolling children in preschool programs, ranking 24th and 26th
among Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD) countries in the enrollment and three- and four-year-olds, respectively.

While the U.S. enrolls just just 69 percent of its four-year-olds and 51 percent of its three-year-olds, other countries enroll nearly all of their young children in preschool programs. But it isn’t just enrollment where America falls behind — it also fails to keep up in other areas, such as when children begin school, how much it spends on preschool, and the teacher-to-child ratio in its early childhood education programs

INFOGRAPHIC: United States Lags Other Countries On Preschool Investment, Enrollment | ThinkProgress

EarlyChildhoodEducation-2.png

prekinfographic2.jpg

AP history assumes the students have some background in history, and capable of going beyond the George Washington chopped down a cherry tree history. As one goes up the grade-ladder in teaching history, history becomes more truthful, with more thinking and less memorization. Should AP history be a course that has some value in life and citizenship or just more cherry-tree patriotism? Should history be used for indoctrination or learning our past, as historians have learned the past? What should be the purpose of AP history?

AP courses didn't exist when I went to high school, but the difference between high school and the university was night and day. High school used one book, a text book. At the U. we used primary sources: Essays, letters, newspapers, magazines, books, Bios and AutoBios; era novels & nonfiction, foreign and domestic; photographs, art and poetry,

One of the problems with history is that it doesn't stop, and new history just keeps occurring, and that means something must be dropped or reduced to include some of the new. Think of the history that has occurred just since the Great Depression. Reminds me of the cartoon and the teacher yelling at the class as the class leaves for summer vacation, "By the way we won World War ll." It may be a rare history class that makes it to the end, or even the to the end of an outdated textbook.
When a topic is dropped or reduced because a new topic is added, usually a political hue and cry goes up accusing schools and historians of all sorts of nefarious motives. The classic was perhaps Lynne Cheney's fuss when a new history framework came out in the Nineties.

History ought to be taught in high school much like it is at the U. level. Start with a couple of survey courses, i.e. world history, US history in the first two years; then, introduce elective history courses, such as the Economic History of the US; Diplomatic Hist. of the US; Hist. of Labor in the US; Hist of Math, Hist of Science; Hist of Industry and inventions; History of Medicine, etc. Allowing kids to choose a topic which meets their interests.

It's a Marxist Conspiracy, that's what it is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I suppose it was only a matter of time before the right accused the left of what the right has been doing for years. The Ministry of Truth, personified by PoliticalChic and others on the far right fringe of the GOP have been rewriting history in threads on this forum for years. Fox news and AM Radio 'philosophers' have been doing so for more than a decade.

What this tread proved, is that Daveman is slow to the take. That is all.

Question: Are you interested in absolute truth and factual information or just those facts that bolster your personal cause?

My personal cause is obvious, facts and truth. I stand by my post above and can post a dozen or more threads wherein PoliticalChic abused history for her purposes. She has made a career attacking Woodrow Wilson, FDR and Obama using obscure sources (arguments from authority, appeals to faith, appeals to tradition, appeals to ignorance and many more; she is especially adept on the use of the ad hominem attack) as does Fox News, Limbaugh and other AM Radio 'philosophers' in their on going attacks on President Obama. Much of which is parroted on this forum by self defined conservatives, like you.
So, your source for judging President Obama's performance is...President Obama.

Talk about appeal to authority. :lol:

And I'm sure you have Rush Revere....
As usual, you are wrong.

Seriously, dood? Zinn? When Marxists memorialize a guy, you know he's a lying sack of shit.

Ad homs? lol

marxist.jpg
:lol: Yeah, that's funny. Almost as funny as you progs kissing the Pope's behind...until he reiterated the Church's stance on abortion. Then you turned on him again.

Meanwhile, the facts are:

1. Liberals rewrite history to suit their agenda.

2. Howard Zinn is a liar. Period.

Nice try. My source for Obama's job as POTUS has dozens of sources, some positive, some negative but none of the latter was provided by the lunatics who post on this forum.

"So, the left screws up education...and it's the RIGHT'S fault"

Nope there is plenty of blame to go around. The biggest hindrance to education is the breakdown of the family structure and inconsistency at home. There is a good size population of parents who are totally apathetic to their child's education... and then the kids don't care. Somehow it is the job of schools to fix the problem and frankly they cannot fix it and schools cannot make kids home lives better. So until all that gets fixed low information people will blame the teachers, schools, guidance counselors, and others associated with it. They will clamor for more accountability and more rigorous testing(a totally moronic idea) and expect teachers to be raise the whiners beloved test scores. Perhaps if a kid was truant or not putting any effort into school the parents should be fined. Maybe that's the first step.
You can't legislate good parenting.

There was this crying and whining "more accountability" and "more rigorous" and an anti teacher sentiment as though their exorbitant salaries are the cause of economic problems and the blame for society's ills. So then the common core comes. Now that is no good. I understand. I would hope those that were the whiners and complainers are happy with the mess they have helped to create. I don't blame the teachers or schools. I place the blame on those who started the fire to make all these changes. Now they have to reverse the trend.

Conservatives: Here, let me show why this social program you like is so dysfunctional (Schools) because we gutted funding for it, so now it should be stopped because obviously government doesn't work.

The United States is lagging far behind much of the developed world when it comes to enrolling children in preschool programs, ranking 24th and 26th
among Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD) countries in the enrollment and three- and four-year-olds, respectively.

While the U.S. enrolls just just 69 percent of its four-year-olds and 51 percent of its three-year-olds, other countries enroll nearly all of their young children in preschool programs. But it isn’t just enrollment where America falls behind — it also fails to keep up in other areas, such as when children begin school, how much it spends on preschool, and the teacher-to-child ratio in its early childhood education programs

INFOGRAPHIC: United States Lags Other Countries On Preschool Investment, Enrollment | ThinkProgress

prekinfographic2.jpg
We've tried throwing money at it. It didn't work.

U.S. education spending tops global list, study shows - CBS News
The United States spends more than other developed nations on its students' education each year, with parents and private foundations picking up more of the costs, an international survey released Tuesday found.

Despite the spending, U.S. students still trail their rivals on international tests.

--

The United States spent more than $11,000 per elementary student in 2010 and more than $12,000 per high school student. When researchers factored in the cost for programs after high school education such as college or vocational training, the United States spent $15,171 on each young person in the system — more than any other nation covered in the report.

That sum inched past some developed countries and far surpassed others. Switzerland's total spending per student was $14,922 while Mexico averaged $2,993 in 2010. The average OECD nation spent $9,313 per young person.

As a share of its economy, the United States spent more than the average country in the survey. In 2010, the United States spent 7.3 percent of its gross domestic product on education, compared with the 6.3 percent average of other OECD countries. Denmark topped the list on that measure with 8 percent of its gross domestic product going toward education.​

Liberal control of education obviously doesn't work.

But, hey -- I bet you got a LOT of participation medals, didn't you?

As usual, you are wrong.

Ad homs? lol

marxist.jpg
:lol: Yeah, that's funny. Almost as funny as you progs kissing the Pope's behind...until he reiterated the Church's stance on abortion. Then you turned on him again.

1. Some liberals may, but without evidence your opinion is only your opinion.

2. https://www.goodreads.com/work/quot...-history-of-the-united-states-1492-to-present - dissect the lies, with evidence of course.

Nice try. My source for Obama's job as POTUS has dozens of sources, some positive, some negative but none of the latter was provided by the lunatics who post on this forum.
Name a negative source.

Name a negative source.

Well, timing is everything. I was just reading, "America's lost oomph" in the new edition of The Economist, July 19th-25th 2014.

Ad homs? lol

marxist.jpg

2. https://www.goodreads.com/work/quot...-history-of-the-united-states-1492-to-present - dissect the lies, with evidence of course.
http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/07/16/and-the-worst-book-of-history-is/
David Kaiser, a professor of military history at the Naval War College, charged “A People’s History” — which has sold more than two million copies since its initial publication in 1980 — with damaging the country, “By convincing several generations of Americans that leadership does not matter and that all beneficial change comes from the bottom,” he wrote, “it has played a significant role in the destruction of American liberalism.”​

Oh, and here's a Zinn quote your source left out:

“Objectivity is impossible,” Zinn once remarked, “and it is also undesirable. That is, if it were possible it would be undesirable, because if you have any kind of a social aim, if you think history should serve society in some way; should serve the progress of the human race; should serve justice in some way, then it requires that you make your selection on the basis of what you think will advance causes of humanity.” - See more at: History News Network | Howard Zinn's Biased History
Understand? He's telling you right there that facts are unimportant; all that matters is that which supports the agenda.

Here's what a real historian has to say about Zinn: http://www.aft.org/pdfs/americaneducator/winter1213/Wineburg.pdf

You believe Zinn's crap if you want. It's perfectly in character for you.

http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/07/16/and-the-worst-book-of-history-is/
David Kaiser, a professor of military history at the Naval War College, charged “A People’s History” — which has sold more than two million copies since its initial publication in 1980 — with damaging the country, “By convincing several generations of Americans that leadership does not matter and that all beneficial change comes from the bottom,” he wrote, “it has played a significant role in the destruction of American liberalism.”​

Oh, and here's a Zinn quote your source left out:

“Objectivity is impossible,” Zinn once remarked, “and it is also undesirable. That is, if it were possible it would be undesirable, because if you have any kind of a social aim, if you think history should serve society in some way; should serve the progress of the human race; should serve justice in some way, then it requires that you make your selection on the basis of what you think will advance causes of humanity.” - See more at: History News Network | Howard Zinn's Biased History
Understand? He's telling you right there that facts are unimportant; all that matters is that which supports the agenda.

Here's what a real historian has to say about Zinn: http://www.aft.org/pdfs/americaneducator/winter1213/Wineburg.pdf

You believe Zinn's crap if you want. It's perfectly in character for you.

Got it, a right winger who doesn't know how to critically think. I'm shocked

You mean history, that would take hundreds of books to compile, isn't ALL in Zinn's WONDERFUL book? I'm shocked?

A military historian huh? Wow, Who's have thunk HE'D have a problem with Zinn :lol:

In the book, Zinn seeks to present American history through the eyes of the common people rather than political and economic elites. A People's History has been assigned as reading in many high schools and colleges across the United States

It has also resulted in a change in the focus of historical work, which now includes stories that previously were ignored

The book was a runner-up in 1980 for the National Book Award

prekinfographic2.jpg
We've tried throwing money at it. It didn't work.

U.S. education spending tops global list, study shows - CBS News
The United States spends more than other developed nations on its students' education each year, with parents and private foundations picking up more of the costs, an international survey released Tuesday found.

Despite the spending, U.S. students still trail their rivals on international tests.

--

The United States spent more than $11,000 per elementary student in 2010 and more than $12,000 per high school student. When researchers factored in the cost for programs after high school education such as college or vocational training, the United States spent $15,171 on each young person in the system — more than any other nation covered in the report.

That sum inched past some developed countries and far surpassed others. Switzerland's total spending per student was $14,922 while Mexico averaged $2,993 in 2010. The average OECD nation spent $9,313 per young person.

As a share of its economy, the United States spent more than the average country in the survey. In 2010, the United States spent 7.3 percent of its gross domestic product on education, compared with the 6.3 percent average of other OECD countries. Denmark topped the list on that measure with 8 percent of its gross domestic product going toward education.​

Liberal control of education obviously doesn't work.

But, hey -- I bet you got a LOT of participation medals, didn't you?

Got it, IGNORE my posit of the post and argue from a false premise. Conservatives *shaking head*

US Spent less than 5.5% of GDP

List of countries by spending on education (% of GDP) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Public spending on education, total (% of GDP) | Data | Table

The United States spent 20 percent of the federal budget on defense in 2011.

Federal education spending accounts for just 3 percent of the $3.5 trillion the government spent in 2012

The figure includes the annual appropriation for the entire Department of Education ($67.4 billion), so-called mandatory spending at the department ($16.3 billion), the school breakfast and lunch programs ($14.8 billion), the refundable portion of a higher education tax credit ($6.6 billion), the Head Start program ($8.0 billion) and the subsidy provided on all of the student loans the government will disburse in one year (which happened to be negative — -$5.5 billion — last year).

http://economix.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/02/27/putting-a-number-on-federal-education-spending/

The problem with the conservative movement in America is that it is based on bigotry, hatred, and, greed. Above all, greed. Money is their god. They worship money and the holders of it and despise those who don't have it.

Forum List

Back