Revolting Against The Economy

Flanders

ARCHCONSERVATIVE
Sep 23, 2010
Throughout history men revolted against many things, slavery, oppression, tyranny, religion, ancient forms of taxation and so on, but never against the economy per se. Let me put it this way. Revolutions in the past dealt with a specific tyranny. The income tax is America’s economy today. Every government tyranny stems from the income tax. That’s why Justice Scalia stunned me. In effect, he suggested revolting against the economy:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=myBZ41rqEc4]Antonin Scalia on taxes - YouTube[/ame]​

While speaking at the University of Tennessee College of Law on Tuesday, Justice Scalia was asked by a student about his interpretation of the constitutionality of the income tax, the Knoxville News Sentinel reported

The longest-serving justice currently on the bench answered the student by saying that the government has the constitutional right to implement the tax, “but if it reaches a certain point, perhaps you should revolt.”

XXXXX

“You’re entitled to criticize the government, and you can use words, you can use symbols, you can use telegraph, you can use Morse code, you can burn a flag,” he said, according to the News Sentinel.

Scalia to students on high taxes: At a certain point, ‘perhaps you should revolt’
By Kellan Howell
The Washington Times Saturday, April 19, 2014

Scalia to students on high taxes: At a certain point, 'perhaps you should revolt' - Washington Times

I doubt if Scalia’s “revolt” meant this:

What country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms. Thomas Jefferson

XXXXX

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government. Thomas Jefferson

XXXXX

Arms in the hands of the citizens may be used at individual discretion for the defense of the country, the overthrow of tyranny or private self-defense. John Adams

XXXXX

This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it, or exercise their revolutionary right to overthrow it. Abraham Lincoln

To me, repealing the XVI Amendment is a peaceful revolt. Here’s one of the problems with repeal that I recently learned from Justice Scalia. Move the cursor to 1:06:38

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0utJAu_iG4]The Kalb Report - Ruth Bader Ginsberg & Antonin Scalia - YouTube[/ame]​

Scalia’s 2 percent makes repeal difficult. The percentage of Americans feeding on the income tax is closing in on the number required to make repeal impossible.

If you listen to the entire video you will hear a lot of talk about democracy and the Founding Fathers. Democracy in America is funded by the income tax; hence, the economy promotes democracy not liberty.

The Founding Fathers despised democracy in addition to their views on the acceptable use of the public purse. Now, go back to 4:30 in the video and you’ll hear Scalia say:

I think what freedom meant at the time was an absence of constraint; an absence of coercion.

There is no greater coercion than the income tax. Not only does the income tax authorize physical coercion by forcing everyone to work for a collective economy they may not agree with, the income tax imposes coerced charity on everyone. Ultimately, the income tax makes coercion acceptable so long as it justifies a democracy-based economy.

America’s Founding Fathers did not collate their views of democracy with the economy; to them, democracy was a destructive form of government. Nevertheless, their views are more valid today than they were in Colonial America.

Since those who take it upon themselves to interpret everything for the rest of us, I do not expect much from them when they talk about democracy and America’s Founding Fathers in the same lectures:

Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide. John Adams

XXXXX

Democracy will soon degenerate into an anarchy, such an anarchy that every man will do what is right in his own eyes and no man's life or property or reputation or liberty will be secure, and every one of these will soon mould itself into a system of subordination of all the moral virtues and intellectual abilities, all the powers of wealth, beauty, wit and science, to the wanton pleasures, the capricious will, and the execrable cruelty of one or a very few. John Adams

XXXXX

“The experience of all former ages had shown that of all human governments, democracy was the most unstable, fluctuating and short-lived.” John Quincy Adams

XXXXX

We are a Republican Government, Real liberty is never found in despotism or in the extremes of democracy...it has been observed that a pure democracy if it were practicable would be the most perfect government. Experience has proved that no position is more false than this. The ancient democracies in which the people themselves deliberated never possessed one good feature of government. Their very character was tyranny; their figure deformity. Alexander Hamilton

Finally, journalists and government officials interpret every facet of the economy from the government’s perspective. My interpretations are the views of a private American. In short: I am always distrustful of the government talking about the government. Scalia makes an exception in this prediction:

Scalia also predicts that the Supreme Court will eventually authorize another a wartime abuse of civil rights such as the internment camps.

“You are kidding yourself if you think the same thing will not happen again,”

Justice Scalia to Law Students: If Taxes Become Too High ‘Perhaps You Should Revolt’
April 20, 2014
Mike Paczesny

Justice Scalia to Law Students: If Taxes Become Too High ?Perhaps You Should Revolt? » The Rundown Live

John Paul Stevens destroyed the only justification for giving Supreme Court justices lifetime appointments. Or should I say he destroyed the myth that the High Court is above politics:

It is even more interesting that he thinks politics, not the law or scholarship, is the business of the Supreme Court.

April 21, 2014
Retired Justice Stevens lets the cat out of the bag on politicized Supreme Court
Thomas Lifson

Blog: Retired Justice Stevens lets the cat out of the bag on politicized Supreme Court

I think Harry Half-Wit must mean we are a nation of laws Democrats like:

Reid: 'We Are a Nation of Laws, Not of Men and Women'
April 22, 2014 - 7:54 AM
By Susan Jones

Reid: 'We Are a Nation of Laws, Not of Men and Women' | CNS News

Forum List

Back