Review: Star Wars - Epsiode III

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by dmp, Oct 18, 2006.

1. dmp

dmp Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +741
    I saw this movie yesterday and was mildly surprised. I was surprised after the HORRIBLE first two (especially the 2nd) - that Lucas could make a BETTER film. Better, sorta. I mean, the first 30 minutes, and last 30 or so are good. The rest is 'eh? Okay...whatever.'

Chock-full of HORRIBLE cheesy, predictable lines:

"I love you..."
    "NO!! I love YOU!!!"

:vomit3:

and who could forget the

"NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!" at the end of the movie.

Stupid.

What is WITH Jedi who seem SO powerful and in-tune, yet get their butts kicked one minute, and do the ass-kicking the next.

Did I miss how the Jedi could NOT have known Padma was Preg, AND instantly sense 'the force' in the kids?

What the hell was up with Lucas? I mean...seriously, did that guy go to the trouble of building even ONE set for that movie? It seemed more cartoon than live-action at times. Geesh. Yes. We GET it. Lucas likes Animation.

Whatever.

As a whole the first three brought shame upon the 'last' three, which featured at LEAST real-live sets and at least MODERATELY-skilled actors and writers.

:(

Two stars out of Five.

2. Hagbard Celine

Hagbard Celine Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +61
    Turbo nerd alert. :banana2:

3. insein

insein Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +356
    Welcome to last year DMP, lol.

Anyway, the 3rd i felt was the 2nd best film overall IMO.

ESB
    ROTS
    ANH
    ROTJ
    AOTC
    PM

4. dmp

dmp Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +741
    One day I'll watch The Fast and the Furious, and give a review. :)

5. Dan

Dan Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +157
    Don't do it, man. Don't. Do it.

Actually, you'd probably like it. The first one had some genuinely cool car chases and stuff, it was just surrounded by a terrible plot and worse acting. I've never seen 2 Fast or Tokyo Drift, but I couldn't imagine they're much better. But, since you're a car guy, you'd probably get more into it. Clay would be able to give a better review than me, probably.

As for Ep. III, the first half hour was somewhat decent (far better than Ep. II, anyway), then it just steadily got worse and worse.

I don't know if it was on here, but somewhere someone made a good point, which is that these movies were originally made for kids. Everybody who truly appreciated the original trilogy appreciated it because they were little kids when they saw it. So, no matter how much Lucas and all the nerds would like to remember it differently, these movies are basically kids' movies. Well-made and thoroughly entertaining (the first three anyway), but kids' movies nonetheless. I'm not sure if kids liked the new trilogy or not, did they?

But, either way, none of them are exactly well-written. The dialogue never, in all six movies, rose above the level of your average soap opera. I guess it helps to have Harrison Ford selling those lines for you, though.

6. insein

insein Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +356
    or Ewen McGregor. Definitely the 2 best actors out of the whole thing. No offense to Alec Guiness.

7. Hobbit

Hobbit Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +421
    My parents saw it when they were dating in their late 20s and they loved it and still love it, even to this day.

8. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    The movie wasn't really made for kids that I'm aware of. To put things in perspective, the best FX we had prior to Star Wars was the original Star Trek variety. There was nothing like it. And oddly enough, the first Star Wars has the least amount of FX. But every time I went and saw one of the movies the theaters were full of adults WITH their kids.

I think where the disservice was done was in making the last three episodes first. It's really hard to make the connection between episodes I-III then IV-VI because of the level of action and FX. For instance, the duel at the end of IV hardly compares to the duel at the end of III.

9. insein

insein Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +356
    Its the way it had to be done. Telling the story in order would have resulted in SW not existing the way it is today. Imagine if Phantom Menace was the first Star Wars movie back in 1977? People wouldnt have embraced it the same as episode 4. Episode 4 stood on its own right as a cool Sci-Fi action movie even if no other movie was ever made. Just the way it had to be done.

10. Hobbit

Hobbit Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +421
    Well, originally, episodes 4-6 was the whole thing. The prequal was an afterthought. That being said, it was a great effect that Lucas was going for. According to interviews, he was trying to achieve the effect of a Kurasawa film in the western world and at the same time make it seem a little like the serial episodes from the old theatres, but make it seem as if you'd missed the first couple of episodes. When he was in film school, he had to watch Kurasawa, and he knew nothing of Samurai culture. Nobody in the films bothered to explain it, because the target audience was familiar with Samurai culture. Lucas was lost and had to poke his way through the culture as he went. At the same time, he loved the old serials, such as Flash Gordon, and also liked poking through the story after missing the first couple of episodes. Thus, when he made Star Wars, he came up with a backstory for the characters, and then started the epic without ever bothering to explain what's going on, allowing people to sort of feel their way through it.

The prequal trilogy, on the other hand, was an afterthought that was made not because it needed to be, but because it could be. It also could not have been filmed in 1977, because the effects necessary to creat entire armies of clone troops and the planet Coruscant did not exist.

As far as the duals in the movies, the level of skill makes sense. The duals in the prequal trilogy occur between young, strong Jedi trained in the art of the saber from the time they can walk. The progressively get faster and more intense as the level of emotion and the skill of the fighters progresses until it is a hate-filled Anakin and a very distresses Obi-Wan, the third and fourth most skilled Jedi in the galaxy, going at it with intensity. In the original trilogy, there's only 3 Jedi involved who have sabers. There's Obi-Wan, who is old and growing feeble, and he can't pull off the Yoda thing because he's not that bad***. There's Darth Vader/Anakin Skywalker, whose mobility is rather limited by the mechanical parts. Then there's Luke, who has not been trained to use the saber and thus isn't as skilled as the Jedi of old.

Oh, and my order of episodes from best to worst:

The Empire Strikes Back
    TIE: A New Hope
    Return of the Jedi
    Revenge of the Sith
    Attack of the Clones
    The Phantom Menace
    The One That Shall Not Be Named (it involved wookies with pet names and had nothing to do with Lucas