Revenant... review.

iamwhatiseem

Diamond Member
Aug 19, 2010
On a hill
Overall... very good. A bit long, some of the scenes would have been better cut down I would think...I never like to be reminded I am watching a movie when watching a movie...and when scenes go on for too long that is what happens.
The acting from just about every actor was magnificent.
Cinematography was best of the year IMO...lighting...angles...scenery all beautiful.
Highly recommend anyone seeing it.

Agreed on the cinematography, but not the movie. It was slow, boring, and long. Decrapio said about a dozen words the whole movie (a bit of an exaggeration). The numerous scenes of his facial expressions, were more than I could stomach.

Agreed on the cinematography, but not the movie. It was slow, boring, and long. Decrapio said about a dozen words the whole movie (a bit of an exaggeration). The numerous scenes of his facial expressions, were more than I could stomach.

Thats hilarious..I have always called him Decrappio also!!

It was a good flick, leonardo got a bit a carried away with the voice, too hard to understand. The bear scene was awesome, story line a bit thin.

It was a good flick, leonardo got a bit a carried away with the voice, too hard to understand. The bear scene was awesome, story line a bit thin.

I don't think so much the storyline was too thin...as it was too stretched out making it thin.
There is a good story here...I think if you took a good 30 minutes of unnecessary footage out - it would have been a better film.
Which is a lot like other DeCrappio films. WHat is it with this kid and marathon films?

I don't think so much the storyline was too thin...as it was too stretched out making it thin.
There is a good story here...I think if you took a good 30 minutes of unnecessary footage out - it would have been a better film.
Which is a lot like other DeCrappio films. WHat is it with this kid and marathon films?
There wasn't much of a story but it's supposed to be based on a true event. But that's never stopped Hollywood before. Most block buster movies don't want to complicate the film with great writing.

I noted some dozen historical errors in the film...and found it as you did.

We just watched it tonight and thought it was excellent. For those who care, the animal action was all computer generated but the conditions were real and apparently utterly miserable.

Interestingly, it was to be shot in Canada but they had a warm spell and they had to move to Argentina! for the snow.

DeCaprio was very good, especially since he was unable to talk due to injuries. Much of his character had to be conveyed by his face. He nailed it.

He's vegetarian but he did eat real liver and real fish because he didn't want to "call it in" - not his words but apparently his ethic. They also made it quite accurate, historically.

All the way through - all I could think was that I would not have survived a tenth of what his character did.

The book is also excellent although the movie is only partially based on it.

Into the Woods: Forest Frigid

It must have been the influence/impact of Thoreau's Walden that brought attention to post-Industrialization angst-related 'forest consciousness.' Such was the inspiration perhaps for Earth terrain/forest adventure films such as Pathfinder and Jeremiah Johnson.

I think The Revenant does a nice job in presenting the visual mysticism surrounding the trekking involved with the American frontier, and the storyboarding lends itself nicely to bold character interpretations which gives Leo DiCaprio and Tom Hardy, two talented actors, a chance to showcase their self-presentation skills.

While some of the action seems a bit overly elegiac, I think this film is a nice achievement for the director and DiCaprio (who finally won his first Oscar), and it stirs up new interest for forest/terrain fantasy/adventure films.

By the way, has anyone seen the new film The Forest (about strange perspectives in a spooky forest in Japan where people go to commit suicide)?

The Forest (Film)

forest.jpg

I was just about to make a threa don this! lol
I thought the movie was awesome. The lack of cutting away the scenes was a plus IMO. The director is one badass SOB.
This and dead pool are the two best movies I have seen so far this year.

I thought the movie was awesome. The lack of cutting away the scenes was a plus IMO. The director is one badass SOB.

Dead Pool was hilarious...loved it. It has sooo many one liners you can watch again and laugh at ones you didn't catch the time before!

Dead Pool was hilarious...loved it. It has sooo many one liners you can watch again and laugh at ones you didn't catch the time before!
My wife and I went to Gatlinburg shortly after watching that movie in theaters. One of her facebook friends posted the bootleg version after we arrived to the mtns and she watched it again lol. I will watch it again when it comes out on dvd.

My wife and I went to Gatlinburg shortly after watching that movie in theaters. One of her facebook friends posted the bootleg version after we arrived to the mtns and she watched it again lol. I will watch it again when it comes out on dvd.

VUDU has it streaming

VUDU has it streaming
never heard of that one. There are so many now lol

VUDU has it streaming
never heard of that one. There are so many now lol

VUDU is waaay better than DVD, movies come out before DVD in full 1080p. Most movies are $4.99 (new ones)

The Classic Djinn

I like the 'classical look' of this film, which is somewhat of a departure for the director of Babel.

You just don't get movies that look like The Revenant these days. Even Leo doesn't necessarily make such movies --- case-in-point the avant-garde Tarantino western Django Unchained.

When I go to see a movie, I want the 'deliberate dreamscape.' Bollywood and Hollywood used to make movies like that all the time, in the heyday of screen-happy actors such as Dilip Kumar and Johnny Depp.

filmic.jpg

Overall... very good. A bit long, some of the scenes would have been better cut down I would think...I never like to be reminded I am watching a movie when watching a movie...and when scenes go on for too long that is what happens.
The acting from just about every actor was magnificent.
Cinematography was best of the year IMO...lighting...angles...scenery all beautiful.
Highly recommend anyone seeing it.

Ever see Jeremiah Johnson?

Forum List

Back