Flanders

ARCHCONSERVATIVE
Sep 23, 2010
I did not see any of the movies in this slideshow:

These Are The Greatest Sports Movies That Everybody Loves [SLIDESHOW]
David Hookstead
Reporter
12:40 AM 04/08/2016​

I am sure that movie fans younger than I love the ones in the above. I like to think they will love my movies if they ever watch them.

These are the greatest sports movies I would include:

Body and Soul (1947)

Body and Soul (1947) - IMDb

NOTE: Screenwriter Abraham Polonsky (1910–1999) was blacklisted, along with a few cast members in Body and Soul. The movie set was a hotbed of Hollywood Lefties, but it is still a great movie.

Champion (1949)

Champion (1949) - IMDb

The Set-Up (1949)

The Set-Up (1949) - IMDb

And finally:

The Pride of the Yankees (1942)

The Pride of the Yankees (1942) - IMDb

No other sports movie ever did, or ever can, depict a scene that made grown men cry the way they did that day in 1939:

How did The Natural and/or Field of Dreams not make that list?

I know I will most likely get mocked for this but the Natural is my most favorite along with the Sandlot... I also love the original Bad News Bears and was just like Tanner growing up!

I know I will most likely get mocked for this but the Natural is my most favorite along with the Sandlot... I also love the original Bad News Bears and was just like Tanner growing up!

"You're killing me, Smalls" is a phrase I utter quite often. Love that movie.

The Natural is of course wonderful.
I also love Bull Durham.
And the Replacements

But my favorite sports movie is "Remember the Titans"- the story of the first integrated high school football team and their two coaches- I can watch that movie over and over.

Baseball: Major League, The Natural, League of their own

Football: Remember the Titans

Basketball: Hoosiers

Boxing: Raging Bull

I'm not sure if Field Of Dreams is a sports movie but yes it is one of the best if it is. James Earl Jones should get ten lifetime achievement awards. You want to talk about an actor where color doesn't matter? That dude can act!

I'm not sure if Field Of Dreams is a sports movie but yes it is one of the best if it is. James Earl Jones should get ten lifetime achievement awards. You want to talk about an actor where color doesn't matter? That dude can act!
I never looked at Field of Dreams as a baseball movie. They never actually play a game

To rightwinger: I did see that one.

Incidentally, when I was a kid, I saw Jake La Motta with a gorgeous blonde on his arm in the lobby of the Old Garden.

As a retired punter who often supported his opinions with cash I would be remiss if I did not add one about the Sport of Kings:

Seabiscuit (2003)

Seabiscuit (2003) - IMDb

Incidentally, when I was a kid, I saw Jake La Motta with a gorgeous blonde on his arm in the lobby of the Old Garden.

As a retired punter who often supported his opinions with cash I would be remiss if I did not add one about the Sport of Kings:

Seabiscuit (2003)

Seabiscuit (2003) - IMDb

Like horse racing movies?

Check out Phar Lap

"You're killing me, Smalls" is a phrase I utter quite often. Love that movie.

...and the winner is....
p3073_d_v8_aa.jpg

Seabiscuit (2003)

Seabiscuit (2003) - IMDb

Yeh! Seabiscuit was wonderful, too!

Rocky (the first one) was funny, cute, brutal, tender and rough, all at the same time. I really enjoyed that film.

Fat City---Hmmmmmm---not so much! The book was far better.

Raging Bull--Yep; That was good, too. Robert De Niro was fabulous in that film playing the role of Jake La Motta. I can't say that I liked the way he treated his women, however.

Major League was the best baseball movie even though it was a comedy

If anyone ever asks how can anyone like baseball, just show them the Wild Thing scene

Forum List

Back