retirement age in politics?

naradamuni

Rookie
Oct 30, 2008
What is the logic behind 80 year olds running a country that has 500 million youth under the age of 25?
Who knows the majority population well?
These 80 year olds should be retiring, and spending time with their grandkids. Not making a mess out of our country.
Why is there a hypocrisy in the government? They have a retirement age, but politicians can continue till they become 90? If there is one rule, it should apply to everyone.
Why are politicians exempt from this? This is total hypocrisy, and at important jobs like politics, you need smart youth who can understand their age group, and have dynamic, forward thinking ruling. We dont want these old guys who have one leg in the grave, and one leg in parliament.

check it out : search for retirement age in politics on youtube.

Why are we putting up with these old guys, who dont understand our generation? We are the majority right?

I'm sorry...I do not want important government decisions regarding economy, foreign policy, education, etc. made by 20 year olds.

Most people understand that even if they were mature, intelligent 18-28 year olds...they did not grasp the concepts needed to really understand the way things worked until they were older. It wasn't until they had earned a few years worth of pay, paid taxes, invested, saved, married, bought a home, started a family, etc...before they really because aware of what went on in the real world.

College students, while intelligent and decent individuals they might be, do not, as a whole, possess the life experience I would look for in people making vital decisions about my nation. As Bill Maher says, "I don't want a President," and I would add, any one making decisions that will effect my life, "that is the same person now that they were in their 20s. You make the mistakes in your 20s that give you wisdom later on."

Now...does that mean I want people who are on the opposite end of that spectrum making those decisions? Not really. My grandmother, who is in her early 80's, is one of the coolest women I know. She is very "with it," very alert, intelligent, wise, etc. But she still is "slowing down" a bit, a little uncomfortable with technology, etc. Not sure if she would be able to keep up with what is obviously, one of the most stressful and consuming jobs on the planet.

A mandatory retirement age? I don't know...with improvements in healthcare I don't think you should force someone out of their job if they can continue to do it well. But how to we test or determine that while still respecting an individual's right to privacy?

What is the logic behind 80 year olds running a country that has 500 million youth under the age of 25?
These 80 year olds should be retiring, and spending time with their grandkids. Not making a mess out of our country.
Why is there a hypocrisy in the government? They have a retirement age, but politicians can continue till they become 90? If there is one rule, it should apply to everyone.
Why are politicians exempt from this? This is total hypocrisy, and at important jobs like politics, you need smart youth who can understand their age group, and have dynamic, forward thinking ruling. We dont want these old guys who have one leg in the grave, and one leg in parliament.

Why are we putting up with these old guys, who dont understand our generation? We are the majority right?

500 million??? wow.

Which country are you talking about? You cannot be referring to the US because we aint got no "parliament".

It's age discrimination--plain and simple.

Ahhh... youth under 25... the no-experience, self appointed know-it-alls

Hell... I think the voting age should be upped to at least 21

We don't need the youth and their ever changing whims and lack of real-world knowledge dictating the direction of this country's politics and governmental rule

In politics retirement only comes when you lose... Other than that it will go as long as you can campaign, raise funds, and get re-elected. So whether it is right or not, it wont change. I do agree that the voting age should be raised to 21 as well. Young people are not voting anyways, and the ones that do barely know anything.

In politics retirement only comes when you lose... Other than that it will go as long as you can campaign, raise funds, and get re-elected. So whether it is right or not, it wont change. I do agree that the voting age should be raised to 21 as well. Young people are not voting anyways, and the ones that do barely know anything.

I don't agree with the age restriction being upped to 21 at all. At 18 we're able to join the armed forces, and males have to sign up for selective service. If we can fight for our country then why can't we have a say in who runs our country? Every age group has it's own concerns and opinions, and will hopefully vote accordingly.

I'm under 21, I vote, and I feel like I have a pretty solid grasp of the issues. So let's not throw all young people under the bus just because most of us are screwoffs.

I don't agree with the age restriction being upped to 21 at all. At 18 we're able to join the armed forces, and males have to sign up for selective service. If we can fight for our country then why can't we have a say in who runs our country? Every age group has it's own concerns and opinions, and will hopefully vote accordingly.

I'm under 21, I vote, and I feel like I have a pretty solid grasp of the issues. So let's not throw all young people under the bus just because most of us are screwoffs.

Soldiers under 21 cannot drink... cannot rent a car.. cannot do a lot of things....
Many in juvenile detention are held and not let out until they are 21.... 18-21 year olds can be restricted... and believe if they are restricted from many other judgment decisions/actions, then one of the most important ones (voting) should indeed be restricted... quite frankly, the VAST majority of 18-21 year olds don't know shit from shinola.... hell, most under 26 are moronic as to how things work in the real world...

I'm aware of the restrictions on people from 18 - 21. My point is, if you don't want us to have a say in our government then why should we have to fight for our government? If you restrict voting until 21 then restrict any type of military recruiting until 21 as well. If all you're trying to do is keep it so people who have a real grasp of the issues and problems in our country, then you're going to restrict a lot more than people under 21 from voting. There are screwoffs of all ages.

I'm aware of the restrictions on people from 18 - 21. My point is, if you don't want us to have a say in our government then why should we have to fight for our government? If you restrict voting until 21 then restrict any type of military recruiting until 21 as well. If all you're trying to do is keep it so people who have a real grasp of the issues and problems in our country, then you're going to restrict a lot more than people under 21 from voting. There are screwoffs of all ages.

You can voluntarily work many jobs while under 21... protecting the country, community, or whatever else... you can risk your life on a crabbing boat.. you can be employed as a contract security guard ata government facility.... still does not take away from the fact that many decision restrictions are put on those under 21, and IMHO rightfully so....

You can voluntarily work many jobs while under 21... protecting the country, community, or whatever else... you can risk your life on a crabbing boat.. you can be employed as a contract security guard ata government facility.... still does not take away from the fact that many decision restrictions are put on those under 21, and IMHO rightfully so....

If we're to be restricted from voting, then we should also be restricted from volunteering for the armed forces or any other government job. Selective service is not voluntary, and if you take away our right to vote until we're 21 then you have to take away selective service until we're 21.

No dying for our nation without representation.

If we're to be restricted from voting, then we should also be restricted from volunteering for the armed forces or any other government job. Selective service is not voluntary, and if you take away our right to vote until we're 21 then you have to take away selective service until we're 21.

No dying for our nation without representation.

Restricted from choosing a job? Well.. guess you can't apply for any job supporting the local, state, or federal government then either... or any service job at all... :rolleyes:

As for the draft... call into service for the extreme case needed for defense of the country, does not come around every day... and when it does, it will be a damn good reason... but as it stands, our all volunteer Army is quite adequate for our needs right now

And BTW... you would have representation as every citizen of this country does, youth or adult... you just would not have the vote until a later age of more reasoning... just as the restriction of alcohol is there because a youthful person's judgment generally is not ready for that kind of thing... not because they physically cannot handle the task of drinking a beer or thinking they personally can handle it

This is what 'We, The People' get for making politics such a rewarding career in terms of both money and influence.

If we want to reduce the 'good old boy' attraction in American politicians we need to reduce what we pay them and / or the power they wield.

Write your congresscritter and insist on national term limits.

-Joe

Restricted from choosing a job? Well.. guess you can't apply for any job supporting the local, state, or federal government then either... or any service job at all... :rolleyes:

As for the draft... call into service for the extreme case needed for defense of the country, does not come around every day... and when it does, it will be a damn good reason... but as it stands, our all volunteer Army is quite adequate for our needs right now

And BTW... you would have representation as every citizen of this country does, youth or adult... you just would not have the vote until a later age of more reasoning... just as the restriction of alcohol is there because a youthful person's judgment generally is not ready for that kind of thing... not because they physically cannot handle the task of drinking a beer or thinking they personally can handle it

The point I was trying to make is that nobody under 18, the legal voting age now, is allowed to serve in the armed forces. If you change the legal voting age to 21 then nobody under 21 should be permitted to serve in the armed forces.

I'm saying that males sign up for selective service at the age of 18. If we can't vote until we're 21, then we shouldn't have to sign up for selective service until we're 21.

You can't compare voting to drinking alcohol. One is hazardous to your health, and the other requires you to think. I'm 20 years old and made a very informed decision on everything I voted for on November 4, and for you to say that I don't have enough experience in the world or I don't have enough reason is insulting. I certainly have more reason than somebody twice my age who simply went and voted for Obama just because he's a Democrat, or McCain just because he's a Republican. I can rationally discuss any issue with anybody, but you don't think I should be allowed to vote because you don't think I have enough experience in life? That's ridiculous.

Ahh... but it is not about comparing alcohol to the job of being in the military... .it is, however, about the concept of an age of reasoning.... and just as youngsters under the age of 21 are not deemed to have enough experience and reason to handle the responsibility to purchase and consume alcohol, that same lack of reason generally prevents the proper reason (born from real world experience) to make a truly informed decision about the country's leadership...

Every youngster THINKS they are right, reasonable, or making informed decisions... but sadly, as even you will probably realize when you have some age and experience under your belt, this is far from factual...

Does that mean that 18-21 year olds should not be allowed to volunteer for the job of their choice, even if it happens to be the military (where they GAIN education, experience, and real world knowledge)? No... does that mean they cannot be called to duty in time of a DIRE emergency, for the defense of the country? Does it mean they are not able bodied enough to train and follow necessary orders to fulfill tasks and missions? No... But just as you do not have a 21 year old XO or CO or SSG making leadership and unit policy decisions, you do not have people under age 21 making important decisions on the country's leadership (IMHO)... it's like asking a 14 year old for their input on a car purchase decision.. they do not have enough informed information or experience to make a proper decision, and generally fall to hype and whim and "feeling"...

Yes.. there are plenty of adults beyond the age of reasoning who make uninformed decisions... but they have been afforded the time to gain their experience and real-world knowledge... they, however, choose (for whatever reason) not to use it or take advantage of it....

Forum List

Back