retirement age in politics?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by naradamuni, Nov 12, 2008.

1. naradamuni

naradamuni Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What is the logic behind 80 year olds running a country that has 500 million youth under the age of 25?
    Who knows the majority population well?
    These 80 year olds should be retiring, and spending time with their grandkids. Not making a mess out of our country.
    Why is there a hypocrisy in the government? They have a retirement age, but politicians can continue till they become 90? If there is one rule, it should apply to everyone.
    Why are politicians exempt from this? This is total hypocrisy, and at important jobs like politics, you need smart youth who can understand their age group, and have dynamic, forward thinking ruling. We dont want these old guys who have one leg in the grave, and one leg in parliament.

check it out : search for retirement age in politics on youtube.

Why are we putting up with these old guys, who dont understand our generation? We are the majority right?

2. Gem

Gem BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +782
    I'm sorry...I do not want important government decisions regarding economy, foreign policy, education, etc. made by 20 year olds.

Most people understand that even if they were mature, intelligent 18-28 year olds...they did not grasp the concepts needed to really understand the way things worked until they were older. It wasn't until they had earned a few years worth of pay, paid taxes, invested, saved, married, bought a home, started a family, etc...before they really because aware of what went on in the real world.

College students, while intelligent and decent individuals they might be, do not, as a whole, possess the life experience I would look for in people making vital decisions about my nation. As Bill Maher says, "I don't want a President," and I would add, any one making decisions that will effect my life, "that is the same person now that they were in their 20s. You make the mistakes in your 20s that give you wisdom later on."

Now...does that mean I want people who are on the opposite end of that spectrum making those decisions? Not really. My grandmother, who is in her early 80's, is one of the coolest women I know. She is very "with it," very alert, intelligent, wise, etc. But she still is "slowing down" a bit, a little uncomfortable with technology, etc. Not sure if she would be able to keep up with what is obviously, one of the most stressful and consuming jobs on the planet.

A mandatory retirement age? I don't know...with improvements in healthcare I don't think you should force someone out of their job if they can continue to do it well. But how to we test or determine that while still respecting an individual's right to privacy?

3. CSM

CSM Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +708

500 million??? wow.

Which country are you talking about? You cannot be referring to the US because we aint got no "parliament".

4. del

del BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +9,885
    i'll go out on a limb and guess india.

5. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403
    It's age discrimination--plain and simple.

6. CSM

CSM Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +708
    Could be. Is the OP from India?

7. DiamondDave

DiamondDave Army Vet

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,816
    Ahhh... youth under 25... the no-experience, self appointed know-it-alls

Hell... I think the voting age should be upped to at least 21

We don't need the youth and their ever changing whims and lack of real-world knowledge dictating the direction of this country's politics and governmental rule

8. seth1492

seth1492 Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14
    In politics retirement only comes when you lose... Other than that it will go as long as you can campaign, raise funds, and get re-elected. So whether it is right or not, it wont change. I do agree that the voting age should be raised to 21 as well. Young people are not voting anyways, and the ones that do barely know anything.

9. Kevin_Kennedy

Kevin_Kennedy Defend Liberty

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,027
    I don't agree with the age restriction being upped to 21 at all. At 18 we're able to join the armed forces, and males have to sign up for selective service. If we can fight for our country then why can't we have a say in who runs our country? Every age group has it's own concerns and opinions, and will hopefully vote accordingly.

I'm under 21, I vote, and I feel like I have a pretty solid grasp of the issues. So let's not throw all young people under the bus just because most of us are screwoffs.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  10. DiamondDave

DiamondDave Army Vet

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,816
    Soldiers under 21 cannot drink... cannot rent a car.. cannot do a lot of things....
    Many in juvenile detention are held and not let out until they are 21.... 18-21 year olds can be restricted... and believe if they are restricted from many other judgment decisions/actions, then one of the most important ones (voting) should indeed be restricted... quite frankly, the VAST majority of 18-21 year olds don't know shit from shinola.... hell, most under 26 are moronic as to how things work in the real world...