Restructured GM to build more cars overseas

So do this if you are concerned, buy American and make sure it is made here and the majority of parts are made here. FD: our last two cars fit that bill.

Buy American - support yourself. And your nation.

Made In Usa Bumper Stickers - CafePress

MADEINUSA.COM - understand the power of patriotic spending
American Made Products Directory - Made in USA, United States Manufacturers
Made in USA, Made in America, US, American-Made

made in usa symbol - Ask.com Web Search

nope,, not me,, don't like the unions and their bullying tactics... bondholders are only being offered 29 cents on the dollar. no way that's fair. no way.. I'll keep my toyota unless you guys want to pay me ten grand to buy American

If we don't sell cars overseas, you'll say we are practicing isolationism and protectionism.

Did you know that if it weren't for Ford Europe, Ford would have gone bankrupt by now too? Its what is funding my fathers pension.

I don't mind GM going to other countries and selling their shit over there.

And what's the difference, china, mexico, europe, brazil, canada.

Anyways, I'm just worried about wages. Fuck it. If you don't care, neither do I.

they're proposing to increase the number of cars built overseas and shipped back here for sale by almost 50%. you really ought to try reading for comprehension. they're also going to cut back production in canada.

i'm sure the chinese, mexicans et al will be paid a fine wage.

didn't the obamalama promise to tax the crapola outta companies who sent jobs overseas??

No, that was me.

Obama said he wouldn't undo NAFTA, he would just make changes. And now Mexico and Canada want to sue.

What did Georgie boy do to us the last 8 years!!!!

Nothing illegal I hope. :lol:

Silly girl. How many domestic jobs will be lost by building more cars overseas?

It's not necessarily silly. If manufacturing in lower cost countries makes it easier for GM to return to profitability then there is potentially an upside, depending of course on what GM does with those profits.

That said, in the short to medium term it is a bitter pill for Michigan to swallow (and suppliers in other states).
So we'll penalize some companies for going offshore but, we'll make exceptions in others. Got it!

If you enjoy just making sarcastic remarks that's your right of course. But if you have a point to make why not try making it instead?

Last edited:
It's not necessarily silly. If manufacturing in lower cost countries makes it easier for GM to return to profitability then there is potentially an upside, depending of course on what GM does with those profits.

That said, in the short to medium term it is a bitter pill for Michigan to swallow (and suppliers in other states).
So we'll penalize some companies for going offshore but, we'll make exceptions in others. Got it!

If increased production in countries outside the US is for cars to be sold overseas, then I don't have a problem with this. If, however, these vehicles will then be shipped back to the US to be sold here, then I do have a problem with it. It seems to me that these vehicles will be manufactured and sold overseas, which would make sense. Why would they want to build the cars here, to then ship them overseas and sell them at a reduced profit? In fact, producing them overseas may be the only way for them to be competetive in those foreign markets.

On top of this, the fact is that US car manufacturers are not going to increase sales by any great percentage here in the US. On the other hand, they could well increase overall production dramatically overseas, bringing more profit back to the company as a whole, which in turn would allow for continued US operations. From my understanding of things, this is the reason Ford has survived this mess without the need for a bailout, because their overseas sales have remained fairly strong. In Europe, the Ford Fiesta has recently been outselling the VW Golf. Ford Fiesta Outsells Volkswagen Golf in Europe – Automotive News & Car Rumors at Automobile Magazine

Just as the Japanese companies rely on US sales, the US companies must rely on foreign sales to boost the overall strength of their companies. They need to be strong globally, not just in the US.

That was a more patient answer than I could be bothered to write.

:rolleyes:

So what exactly is GM's obligation anyway? Maximize profit or maximize it's number of American employees? Because I got news for you folks, those two are not compatible.

So what exactly is GM's obligation anyway? Maximize profit or maximize it's number of American employees? Because I got news for you folks, those two are not compatible.

Kind of depends on how many Americans they employ.

And how many cars do they want to sell us?

I'm going to continue to buy Ford until I see them fucking over their employees.

I don't know what GM employees and their friends and family plan on doing. Sort of depends on how far GM goes.

Now if we come up with a lot of new high paying green and stem cell jobs in the next few years and wages go up, maybe we won't care so much about all these manufacturing jobs being sent overseas.

I just sure hope we don't have a war with China. If we do, we'll have to contract with them to build the tanks and ships we'll need to fight them.

I blame it on women.

If they'd just stayed home instead of invading the workplace, the cost of living wouldn't have been driven up nearly so much and we might've avoided all this. :tongue:

I blame it on women.

If they'd just stayed home instead of invading the workplace, the cost of living wouldn't have been driven up nearly so much and we might've avoided all this. :tongue:

You know how people say, "it doesn't matter if we raise taxes on the rich, they'll just find other ways", or, "you can't mess with CEO pay because then they just find other ways...."

Well this is a great example of how corporations used women's lib to fuck us all. Our grandfathers were able to provide the same for a family of 4 that today takes 2 working spouses to do. So they get twice as much work out of us for the same results.

Most of the "extra money" she was pulling in now goes towards their second car, increase in insurance costs, not just health but also auto, increase in college tuition, and now the Misses has to go out and buy a bunch of clothing, etc.

So not only do they get more for less, but we have to go out and buy more too.

[nope,, not me,, don't like the unions and their bullying tactics... bondholders are only being offered 29 cents on the dollar. no way that's fair. no way.. I'll keep my toyota unless you guys want to pay me ten grand to buy American

Conservatives bewilder me. If it means bombing and and killing you are hip hip hurray, then America is the greatest. But if it means helping America by buying products made here then some other switch in you head changes.

Or maybe you are Japanese, then I understand you wanting to support your nation, its workers, and its financial bottom line, so it is really is unnecessary replying. People should support their own.

I used to buy only American made automobiles, trying to be all patriotic and stuff. But I finally got tired of fixing the damn fucking things every time I turned around. Now I buy Japanese autos and the worst thing I've had to fix is a blown oxygen sensor. And btw: Routine maintenance, like oil changes etc., is way easier too. It amazes me that US autos still put the oil filter where you can't reach it without tiny hands and three friggin elbows on one arm.

btw: The only thing worse than American made cars are %$#$@ Volkswagens. You sneeze in one those mother fuckers and a knob or a handle snaps off somewhere.

Maximizing profits leads to expansion which leads to more jobs. Without profits, there are no jobs. I think this is a fairly simple concept.

Kind of depends on how many Americans they employ.

And how many cars do they want to sell us?

I'm going to continue to buy Ford until I see them fucking over their employees.

I don't know what GM employees and their friends and family plan on doing. Sort of depends on how far GM goes.

Now if we come up with a lot of new high paying green and stem cell jobs in the next few years and wages go up, maybe we won't care so much about all these manufacturing jobs being sent overseas.

I just sure hope we don't have a war with China. If we do, we'll have to contract with them to build the tanks and ships we'll need to fight them.

We're not going to war with China. Over what? Taiwan? Not likely. China and the US are naturally set to be long standing allies. And yes, with some give and take, the US can ally itself with a communist country that is slowly heading towards a more capitalistic society. As it becomes more capitalist, it will eventually also move toward democracy in some form. China would be economically devastated without the US.

I blame it on women.

You know how people say, "it doesn't matter if we raise taxes on the rich, they'll just find other ways", or, "you can't mess with CEO pay because then they just find other ways...."

Well this is a great example of how corporations used women's lib to fuck us all. Our grandfathers were able to provide the same for a family of 4 that today takes 2 working spouses to do. So they get twice as much work out of us for the same results.

Most of the "extra money" she was pulling in now goes towards their second car, increase in insurance costs, not just health but also auto, increase in college tuition, and now the Misses has to go out and buy a bunch of clothing, etc.

So not only do they get more for less, but we have to go out and buy more too.

While women entering the workforce in droves changed things completely, I can understand them getting tired of just making babies, cleaning house, and watching The Guiding Light everyday.

Forum List

Back