Restructured GM to build more cars overseas

NOBama

Sep 23, 2008
WASHINGTON - The U.S. government is pouring billions into General Motors in hopes of reviving the domestic economy, but when the automaker completes its restructuring plan, many of the company's new jobs will be filled by workers overseas.

According to an outline the company has been sharing privately with Washington legislators, the number of cars that GM sells in the United States and builds in Mexico, China and South Korea will roughly double.

The proportion of GM cars sold domestically and manufactured in those low-wage countries will rise from 15 percent to 23 percent over the next five years, according to the figures contained in a 12-page presentation offered to lawmakers in response to their questions about overseas production.

GM to build more cars overseas - Washington Post- msnbc.com

:lol:

where are those cars being sold?

are they being sold overseas? or are they being shipped back here? were they cars that would normally have had to be shipped out of the country at great expense?

lots of questions that aren't answered before i get cranky about it.

and all things being equal, i can't say i like the jobs being there, but i guess it's better than there being no company at all, eh? how many domestic jobs would have been lost then?

Well, Sealy does live in Michigan so I would guess he would be more alarmed by this than a lot of people. To many, this is just a political football. To those of us in Michigan, it's our friends' lives and careers being fucked and everyone's livelihood being adversely impacted.

I'll watch for his views with interest. I hope the story is untrue, or that it's only part of the story.

Silly girl. How many domestic jobs will be lost by building more cars overseas?

It's not necessarily silly. If manufacturing in lower cost countries makes it easier for GM to return to profitability then there is potentially an upside, depending of course on what GM does with those profits.

That said, in the short to medium term it is a bitter pill for Michigan to swallow (and suppliers in other states).

Does this really surprise anyone? Who would want to do business here with all of the government regulations, unions, taxes, etc... Now there is going to be a carbon emissions tax/penalty whatever the hell you want to call it...

washingtonpost.com

It's not necessarily silly. If manufacturing in lower cost countries makes it easier for GM to return to profitability then there is potentially an upside, depending of course on what GM does with those profits.

That said, in the short to medium term it is a bitter pill for Michigan to swallow (and suppliers in other states).

true enough.... and thanks. (though it wasn't silly at all... :lol:

So we'll penalize some companies for going offshore but, we'll make exceptions in others. Got it!

So we'll penalize some companies for going offshore but, we'll make exceptions in others. Got it!

If increased production in countries outside the US is for cars to be sold overseas, then I don't have a problem with this. If, however, these vehicles will then be shipped back to the US to be sold here, then I do have a problem with it. It seems to me that these vehicles will be manufactured and sold overseas, which would make sense. Why would they want to build the cars here, to then ship them overseas and sell them at a reduced profit? In fact, producing them overseas may be the only way for them to be competetive in those foreign markets.

On top of this, the fact is that US car manufacturers are not going to increase sales by any great percentage here in the US. On the other hand, they could well increase overall production dramatically overseas, bringing more profit back to the company as a whole, which in turn would allow for continued US operations. From my understanding of things, this is the reason Ford has survived this mess without the need for a bailout, because their overseas sales have remained fairly strong. In Europe, the Ford Fiesta has recently been outselling the VW Golf. Ford Fiesta Outsells Volkswagen Golf in Europe – Automotive News & Car Rumors at Automobile Magazine

Just as the Japanese companies rely on US sales, the US companies must rely on foreign sales to boost the overall strength of their companies. They need to be strong globally, not just in the US.

The fact remains that GM is openly admitting, and likely a good number of DC-Democrats will concede, that business viablity in America is lessening with each passing year, making movement of operations overseas an increased necessity.

The union-control of GM was likely a concession of those jobs going overseas. Now that the union has a real stake in the company's profits, it is more than willing to sacrifice union jobs.

Big unions have long been big business, but the Obama administration is taking that fact to an entirely new level. After decades of decline, this administration is putting great effort to revitalize American unions, and seemingly at great cost to the free market. The line between the federal government and business is no longer simply blurred, it has been decidedly altered.

Scary stuff...

it'll be fun watching sillybozo's head explode as he seeks to blame this on bush.

If we don't sell cars overseas, you'll say we are practicing isolationism and protectionism.

Did you know that if it weren't for Ford Europe, Ford would have gone bankrupt by now too? Its what is funding my fathers pension.

I don't mind GM going to other countries and selling their shit over there.

And what's the difference, china, mexico, europe, brazil, canada.

Anyways, I'm just worried about wages. Fuck it. If you don't care, neither do I.

Don't look at it as penalizing some companies. Look at it like we are rewarding others that do the right thing.

it'll be fun watching sillybozo's head explode as he seeks to blame this on bush.

If we don't sell cars overseas, you'll say we are practicing isolationism and protectionism.

Did you know that if it weren't for Ford Europe, Ford would have gone bankrupt by now too? Its what is funding my fathers pension.

Anyways, I'm just worried about wages. Fuck it. If you don't care, neither do I.

they're proposing to increase the number of cars built overseas and shipped back here for sale by almost 50%. you really ought to try reading for comprehension. they're also going to cut back production in canada.

i'm sure the chinese, mexicans et al will be paid a fine wage.

they're proposing to increase the number of cars built overseas and shipped back here for sale by almost 50%. you really ought to try reading for comprehension. they're also going to cut back production in canada.

I never suggested GM was any different than every other mega corporation.

But for a minutes I felt sorry for them. It seemed like the GOP and Oil companies were fucking the Big 3. Now it seems like it was on purpose in order to break the unions and send jobs overseas.

And I really only care about the workers and the economy.

I guess you will benefit from all the jobs that we are loosing. You must be rich if this is good news for you.

where are those cars being sold?

are they being sold overseas? or are they being shipped back here? were they cars that would normally have had to be shipped out of the country at great expense?

lots of questions that aren't answered before i get cranky about it.

and all things being equal, i can't say i like the jobs being there, but i guess it's better than there being no company at all, eh? how many domestic jobs would have been lost then?

The thing that gets me cranky about this is Obama's stance on bringing jobs back from overseas. Our stimulus money was suppose to be spent to create jobs here, and not overseas. I know Obama didn't foresee this happening, but it is.
It shows me that what is in place is that, Obama stipulated that these jobs created here had to be at union type wages, and benefits....which pushed GM to move it overseas. Am I wrong?

didn't the obamalama promise to tax the crapola outta companies who sent jobs overseas??

Last edited:

New Topics

Forum List

Back