Zone1 Restaurant Ethics in real time

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
Went to a favored restaurant yesterday for a burger with the Old Lady. Good service from an unfamiliar waitress (Serverette?).

When we got our bill the [soft] drinks were not included. The price was, say, $5 less than is shoulda been.

For a minute I was wondering if the Serverette was "gaming" us for a more generous tip - while in effect stealing money from her employer. Or it could have been an honest mistake. What to do, what to do?

So I added $5 to the total, and tipped her my usual 20% on top. Then as I was leaving and saw her walking around, I whispered to her that the check did not include soft drinks, so I added it to the total.

Or should I have taken advantage of the windfall? Thus making ME a thief. Did she have the ethical/moral right to induce me to steal (the soft drinks)?

My personal policy is to be scrupulously honest - as long as the stakes are relatively small. If I ever find a gym bag full of fifties, I may reconsider that honesty thing.

Went to a favored restaurant yesterday for a burger with the Old Lady. Good service from an unfamiliar waitress (Serverette?).

When we got our bill the [soft] drinks were not included. The price was, say, $5 less than is shoulda been.

For a minute I was wondering if the Serverette was "gaming" us for a more generous tip - while in effect stealing money from her employer. Or it could have been an honest mistake. What to do, what to do?

So I added $5 to the total, and tipped her my usual 20% on top. Then as I was leaving and saw her walking around, I whispered to her that the check did not include soft drinks, so I added it to the total.

Or should I have taken advantage of the windfall? Thus making ME a thief. Did she have the ethical/moral right to induce me to steal (the soft drinks)?

My personal policy is to be scrupulously honest - as long as the stakes are relatively small. If I ever find a gym bag full of fifties, I may reconsider that honesty thing.

What makes you think they weren't having a special with those dishes that day?
Or maybe the manager decided to start adding drinks to the specials?
Or the manager decided today was "free drink" day?
Or maybe the server just thought you were lovely people and gave YOU a tip with freebies?

Just because you don't get charged for it, doesn't necessarily mean they forgot to put it on your tab.

If in question...............question the server.

I will point out mistakes that would save me money too.

The small amount of money involved is not worth tossing my ethics. Kudos to you.

If you want to know what REALLY helps out waitstaff and servers?

Ask them "How are YOU today"? And MEAN it.

I've been told by several waitresses in the past that it is HIGHLY appreciated when customer ask how they are first thing.
I makes them feel like they matter. And they SHOULD feel like they matter.

Retail is an extremely HARSH and UNFORGIVING bitch of a job. I don't care if you work at 7-11, a server in a 5 star restaurant, or a checker at the dollar store..........it makes them feel worthy of the job they are doing when you speak to them like a human being.

I know for a FACT this is true, as I was in many different sects of the retail industry when I got out of high school.
And just ONE customer smiling at you and saying "Thank you", or asking how I am.....made my fucking day!!!!

I will point out mistakes that would save me money too.

The small amount of money involved is not worth tossing my ethics. Kudos to you.

Thanks!!!!

So many people don't know how little retail workers get paid.
I had customers like me so much, that they offered me some big tips.
But I always declined. I'd tell them to donate it to their favorite charity instead.

But that was then, this is now. Workers need all the money they can get. And it helps if good Americans keep the faith and do whats right.

I usually point out the mistake to the server before I pay the bill. If it was there mistake they may get in trouble or have to take it out of their pay. If you point it out and they fix it, no harm, no foul.

who buys soft drinks - water and a lemon can't remember anything else ...

- if you see the error you have to pay it ... $1.50 for ice tea probably costs them .20c if not less.

Forum List

Back