researchers search for Giant Worm

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Feb 22, 2004
Minnesota
Searchers shovel Northwest dirt seeking giant worm - Yahoo! News

What I think is interesting about this article is it really shows us what can be out there that we dont know about. Here is a giant worm, which scientists say actually exists because of sitings and evidence. Yet no one seems to hav ever seen.

There is enough evidence for conservationists to petition the government to put it on the endangered species list. Which leads to me to wonder, what other things exist that we simply dont know about? What other mysteries does this world hide from our postmodern eyes.

Our society seems to think we know everything there is. Yet what if there are things we've never concieved of? What if things we think are myth are just lost from present knowledge?

That's the problem with saying things are impossible simply because they arent common. You never know what is really out there.

You think that's weird...I was flipping around on YouTube and found this:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmp68Er0ZVc]YouTube - Mystery Giant Skeleton Satellite Images[/ame]

and this:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhTPxnjgtAM&feature=fvw]YouTube - GIANT HUMAN skeletons[/ame]

I was like whaaaaaaa??????

A whole universe of weirdness I wasn't even aware of!

I was like whaaaaaaa??????

A whole universe of weirdness I wasn't even aware of!

I remember reading an article about a lake in China that scientists werent bothering to explore because no life could survive there. I remember thinking, how do you know if you dont explore? There may be new types of life we've never dreamed of.

People are so quick to say whats impossible and conclude that there cant be more knowledge that they miss it when its right in front of them.

Just like the depths of the deepest part of the sea, what lurks down there that man will never see?

I have Blue Planet on dvd, the whole series. One episode deals with the animals that live on and around the heat vents where the temp is around 180 degrees.

Freaky stuff. But those giants, I mean, I believe there were giants, and I know we have some who crop up once in a while for medical reasons...but those skeletons were just too much. 36 foot tall people?

I love the end of the one video where he refers you to his UFO stuff.

worm.jpg

Hey, i've seen those pictures before!

Now where was it again?

OH YEAH!

In reality, the picture was created in 2002 by "IronKite," a member of Worth1000.com who had submitted it as an entry in an "Archaeological Anomalies" photo contest. The contest rules challenged entrants to "create an archaeological hoax... show a picture of an archaeological discovery that looks so real, had it not appeared at Worth1000, people might have done a double take."

:lol:

STUPID CHRISTIANS

So you don't think there are creatures out there that man hasn't discovered JB?

Me, I'm not so cynical, I think there are things we will never know about out there lurking.

It would be naive to think we know every species that exists. For one thing, new species will continue to evolve. For another, there are still large ares of the Earth (let alone any life that might exist elsewhere) that we have not fully explored. Cryptozoology, given toe proper spirit and methodology, is true zoology

You know of any creatures that have evolved into a different species yet?

Anyway, it's fun to contemplate.

Another neg rep?

Did i make you feel stupid again by showing that you are, in fact, stupid? :lol:
You know of any creatures that have evolved into a different species yet?

Anyway, it's fun to contemplate.

Let me Google that for you

Observed instances of speciation

5.1.1.1 Evening Primrose (Oenothera gigas)

While studying the genetics of the evening primrose, Oenothera lamarckiana, de Vries (1905) found an unusual variant among his plants. O. lamarckiana has a chromosome number of 2N = 14. The variant had a chromosome number of 2N = 28. He found that he was unable to breed this variant with O. lamarckiana. He named this new species O. gigas.
5.1.1.2 Kew Primrose (Primula kewensis)

Digby (1912) crossed the primrose species Primula verticillata and P. floribunda to produce a sterile hybrid. Polyploidization occurred in a few of these plants to produce fertile offspring. The new species was named P. kewensis. Newton and Pellew (1929) note that spontaneous hybrids of P. verticillata and P. floribunda set tetraploid seed on at least three occasions. These happened in 1905, 1923 and 1926.
5.1.1.4 Raphanobrassica

The Russian cytologist Karpchenko (1927, 1928) crossed the radish, Raphanus sativus, with the cabbage, Brassica oleracea. Despite the fact that the plants were in different genera, he got a sterile hybrid. Some unreduced gametes were formed in the hybrids. This allowed for the production of seed. Plants grown from the seeds were interfertile with each other. They were not interfertile with either parental species. Unfortunately the new plant (genus Raphanobrassica) had the foliage of a radish and the root of a cabbage.
5.2.2 Maize (Zea mays)

Pasterniani (1969) produced almost complete reproductive isolation between two varieties of maize. The varieties were distinguishable by seed color, white versus yellow. Other genetic markers allowed him to identify hybrids. The two varieties were planted in a common field. Any plant's nearest neighbors were always plants of the other strain. Selection was applied against hybridization by using only those ears of corn that showed a low degree of hybridization as the source of the next years seed. Only parental type kernels from these ears were planted. The strength of selection was increased each year. In the first year, only ears with less than 30% intercrossed seed were used. In the fifth year, only ears with less than 1% intercrossed seed were used. After five years the average percentage of intercrossed matings dropped from 35.8% to 4.9% in the white strain and from 46.7% to 3.4% in the yellow strain.
5.3.5 Sympatric Speciation in Drosophila melanogaster

In a series of papers (Rice 1985, Rice and Salt 1988 and Rice and Salt 1990) Rice and Salt presented experimental evidence for the possibility of sympatric speciation. They started from the premise that whenever organisms sort themselves into the environment first and then mate locally, individuals with the same habitat preferences will necessarily mate assortatively. They established a stock population of D. melanogaster with flies collected in an orchard near Davis, California. Pupae from the culture were placed into a habitat maze. Newly emerged flies had to negotiate the maze to find food. The maze simulated several environmental gradients simultaneously. The flies had to make three choices of which way to go. The first was between light and dark (phototaxis). The second was between up and down (geotaxis). The last was between the scent of acetaldehyde and the scent of ethanol (chemotaxis). This divided the flies among eight habitats. The flies were further divided by the time of day of emergence. In total the flies were divided among 24 spatio-temporal habitats.
They next cultured two strains of flies that had chosen opposite habitats. One strain emerged early, flew upward and was attracted to dark and acetaldehyde. The other emerged late, flew downward and was attracted to light and ethanol. Pupae from these two strains were placed together in the maze. They were allowed to mate at the food site and were collected. Eye color differences between the strains allowed Rice and Salt to distinguish between the two strains. A selective penalty was imposed on flies that switched habitats. Females that switched habitats were destroyed. None of their gametes passed into the next generation. Males that switched habitats received no penalty. After 25 generations of this mating tests showed reproductive isolation between the two strains. Habitat specialization was also produced.
They next repeated the experiment without the penalty against habitat switching. The result was the same -- reproductive isolation was produced. They argued that a switching penalty is not necessary to produce reproductive isolation. Their results, they stated, show the possibility of sympatric speciation.

More

Two strains of Drosophila paulistorum developed hybrid sterility of male offspring between 1958 and 1963. Artificial selection induced strong intra-strain mating preferences. (Test for speciation: sterile offspring and lack of interbreeding affinity.)
Dobzhansky, Th., and O. Pavlovsky, 1971. "An experimentally created incipient species of Drosophila", Nature 23:289-292.
Evidence that a species of fireweed formed by doubling of the chromosome count, from the original stock...

(Test for speciation: cannot produce offspring with the original stock.)
Mosquin, T., 1967. "Evidence for autopolyploidy in Epilobium angustifolium (Onaagraceae)", Evolution 21:713-719
Rapid speciation of the Faeroe Island house mouse, which occurred in less than 250 years after man brought the creature to the island. (Test for speciation in this case is based on morphology. It is unlikely that forced breeding experiments have been performed with the parent stock.)
Stanley, S., 1979. Macroevolution: Pattern and Process, San Francisco, W.H. Freeman and Company. p. 41
Formation of five new species of cichlid fishes which formed since they were isolated less than 4000 years ago from the parent stock, Lake Nagubago. (Test for speciation in this case is by morphology and lack of natural interbreeding. These fish have complex mating rituals and different coloration. While it might be possible that different species are inter-fertile, they cannot be convinced to mate.)
Mayr, E., 1970. Populations, Species, and Evolution, Massachusetts, Harvard University Press. p. 348
"Three species of wildflowers called goatsbeards were introduced to the United States from Europe shortly after the turn of the century. Within a few decades their populations expanded and began to encounter one another in the American West. Whenever mixed populations occurred, the specied interbred (hybridizing) producing sterile hybrid offspring. Suddenly, in the late forties two new species of goatsbeard appeared near Pullman, Washington. Although the new species were similar in appearance to the hybrids, they produced fertile offspring. The evolutionary process had created a separate species that could reproduce but not mate with the goatsbeard plants from which it had evolved."​
The article is on page 22 of the February, 1989 issue of Scientific American. It's called "A Breed Apart." It tells about studies conducted on a fruit fly, Rhagoletis pomonella, that is a parasite of the hawthorn tree and its fruit, which is commonly called the thorn apple. About 150 years ago, some of these flies began infesting apple trees, as well. The flies feed and breed on either apples or thorn apples, but not both. There's enough evidence to convince the scientific investigators that they're witnessing speciation in action. Note that some of the investigators set out to prove that speciation was not happening; the evidence convinced them otherwise.
Hauffe, Heidi C.. Searle, Jeremy B.. A disappearing speciation event? (response to J.A. Coyne, Nature, vol. 355, p. 511, 1992). Nature. V357. P26(1) May 7, 1992.
Abstract:
Analysis of contact between two chromosomal races of house mice in northern Italy show that natural selection will produce alleles that bar interracial matings if the resulting offspring are unfit hybrids. This is an important exception to the general rule that intermixing races will not tend to become separate species because the constant sharing of genes minimizes the genetic diversity requisite for speciation.​
Lizards Evolving Rapidly to Survive Deadly Fire Ants

(National Geographic)

Jonathan B. Losos, Ph.D., associate professor of biology in Arts and Sciences at Washington University in St. Louis, proved this species-area relationship in a study of 143 species of Caribbean Anolis lizards on 147 islands. Focusing on the four largest islands, Cuba, Hispaniola, Jamaica and Puerto Rico, collectively known as the Greater Antilles, Losos showed that the diversity of lizard species is primarily a result of the evolutionary process of speciation, rather than the ecological processes of colonization and extinction.
Losos, and co-author Dolph Schluter, Ph.D., professor of biology at the University of British Columbia, published these results in the Dec. 14, 2000 issue of Nature. The study is an important and novel extension of a 33 year old theory on the genesis of biological diversity.
(source)

See this discussion

Speciation through sensory drive in cichlid fish

Last edited:
My neg rep was for your neg rep, loser.

And your "die ****" pm was really impressive. Obviously you're quite superior.

Forum List

Back