Researchers Create Regenerative Tooth Fillings

ScienceRocks

Democrat all the way!
Mar 16, 2010
The Good insane United states of America

Every year, dentists fill millions of cavities from teeth that have decayed. Ordinarily, this does its job in protecting the inner pulp from harm, but in around 10 percent of cases they fail. This requires the dentist to perform a root canal and completely remove all the infected tissue from the center of the tooth. But what if there was a way in which to encourage the tooth to repair itself?

Well that is exactly what researchers at the University of Nottingham and Harvard University are trying to achieve. They have developed a new biomaterial that they say allows the damaged pulp to regenerate a protective layer of dentin. This should help the tooth prevent infection of the site, and make for more integrated and long-term fillings, causing a significant shift in the way that dental cavities are treated.

“Existing dental fillings are toxic to cells and are therefore incompatible with pulp tissue inside the tooth,” explains the University of Nottingham’s Dr Adam Celiz in a statement. “In cases of dental pulp disease and injury a root canal is typically performed to remove the infected tissues. We have designed synthetic biomaterials that can be used similarly to dental fillings but can be placed in direct contact with pulp tissue to stimulate the native stem cell population for repair and regeneration of pulp tissue and the surrounding dentin.”

Could go a long ways towards ending so many infections and healing peoples teeth and gums. I'll be interesting how long it takes such to hit the market place from the labs. I've heard of other such advancements that haven't as of yet.

too late for me----but thanks Matt-----thanks for doing the reading I should be doing----FOR ME!!!!!

Forum List

Back