Republicans Unanimously Block Equal Pay Bill

Republicans Unanimously Block Equal Pay Bill ThinkProgress

After allowing the Paycheck Fairness Act to move forward last week, Senate Republicans turned around on Monday evening and unanimously voted to block the bill, which would ban salary secrecy and tighten rules to try to narrow the gender wage gap.

The vote came weeks after the Republican National Committee claimed that “All Republicans support equal pay.” Senate Republicans have unanimously shot the bill down multiple times over the past four years.

The bill includes a number of provisions aimed at preventing the gender wage gap in the first place, which currently means a woman who works full time, year round makes 77 percent of what a similar man makes and hasn’t budged in a decade.

And yet, RWs say there is no war on women.

How can anyone say that equal pay for equal work is not a good thing? We know that RWs want to hurt women but since women are the sole support for so many children, it also harms them.
More trolling.
Hey dummy, did you READ the bill?

Do radical lefties really think it's a good idea to force businesses under penalty of law to base salaries on gender identity instead of merit and ability? Black unemployment is around 13.5% and democrats spend time dreaming up stupid laws. What next?

Dear Whitehall: it seems the left trusts people in govt to regulate and doesn't trust people in corporations to regulate themselves. just like they trust women with the choice of abortion, even teens, but not with the choice of reparative therapy which they deemed should be banned as not a choice to even offer.

people put their trust in different things.

I believe if everyone were educated and trained in constitutional laws, due process, checks and balances, and mediating to resolve conflicts by consensus to redress grievances in full, we would not fight over how to use or not use govt to
force regulations. we would trust people to redress our own grievances, and change policies by consensus directly.

but people don't trust that will happen.
so they think the best way is to use govt to force it.

same way with how some prolife people do not trust people with chioce of abortion.
and think the only way to get rid of it is to ban the choice.
while others like me believe in preventing abortion by free choice and education, not legislating
punishment that is only goingn to affect women and not the men causing the pregnancies equally.

some people believe gun regulation has to be done through govt
or health care has to be done federally and cannot be trusted to states or people to manage.

wherever people think authority comes from, that's where they want to push

if you believe it comes from people, you focus on people
if you believe protection comes from gov, you focus on making govt laws

I believe in forming consensus on policies and process among people
and use that to shape govt policy that reflects consent of the people
NOT abusing gov to force things on others which is no different from religious abuse

govt and laws should reflect the public interest and consent
not agenda of one political party or religion or beliefs imposed on others
which i find to be unconstitutional by religous freedom and equal protection from unfair discrimination by creed
Is it possible for you to remain on point?

I read the summary.
This bill was another dead on arrival piece of legislation designed for the express purpose of creating a tool for ten second soundbites and democrat campaign rhetoric.

Didn't I read somewhere that Obama pays the female staff in the white house less then the male staff?

And when are women in the household going to be paid hourly for
childcare and other services provided? If we put dollars and cents
to all the work it takes to run the world, maybe we would have a fair economy
that values all people's time and efforts equally instead of just the ones that generate faster monetary profit. Short term political points affect elections, not longterm that exceed
the cycle people will run or hold office so people can't sell those ideas like the quick solutions.

we don't value historic or environmental value
the way we measure rental investment value so that is causing
America to lose our historic sites and wilderness to real estate development.

there are other areas where we do not put prices equally on the value
but only based on what profits can be produced in the short term
instead of the longer term investment and costs if we don't have those resources sustained.

this is all a distraction from bigger issues.
we are not valuing things equally, but people are using the gender card
because it is something tangible they can argue in the media.

try arguing about saving a historic site for its value to the community
instead of the income froma commercial property, and you will get dead silence.
childcare and other services provided?
Ahem...So WHO or WHAT would be the source of the money to fund the income?
Oh that's right, the spouse. You know, the one that works and brings home the paychecks.....
Ya know what, you're so smart, you're funny.

How can anyone say that equal pay for equal work is not a good thing? We know that RWs want to hurt women but since women are the sole support for so many children, it also harms them.

There wasn't a button choice for "SAD" so I had to choose "THANKS."
Sorry. Thanks for the sad reminder of the denial and projection going on.

I guess it was just Lewinsky's fault for getting involved with the wrong man in the wrong way.
And Chandra Levy's, and Kopechne's, and all the other women merely used as political pawns.

liberal-war-on-women.jpg

childcare and other services provided?
Ahem...So WHO or WHAT would be the source of the money to fund the income?
Oh that's right, the spouse. You know, the one that works and brings home the paychecks.....
Ya know what, you're so smart, you're funny.

The same source of money that pays a whole lot
more for women to dance nude on tables!

P.S. I was asking more rhetorically:
The issue is about VALUING the time and work,
not necessarily paying for it the same way as hiring outside help.

if we start thinking in egalitarian terms, the respect for people should
equalize on that level. There will always be students and interns/trainees
who do work at a lower pay rate than the people who manage the systems.

My point is to value this time and effort; if we don't compensate people with
wages, there SHOULD be a tradeoff to provide housing or services on a campus
if these are students on a training wage or getting course credit for their work
through a program. To prevent from exploiting labor as is going on now in production.
We can substitute work-study programs and housing for students in place of the
low-wage work that is not at a living wage. Otherwise we could not afford the
goods and services. There has to be a tradeoff if people aren't getting paid enough
to support their living expenses. Sorry this wasn't clear.

Last edited:
There will always be students and interns/trainees

What kind of bullshit is this? Why discriminate against students, interns, and trainees? Just because they lack experience, or a complete education, or even the ability to perform the work? There should be equal pay in ALL cases. The discrimination against the uneducated, inexperienced, and incapable needs to end.

We need a federal law dictating how much each position at every company should be paid. And to ensure that employers don't stop hiring students, trainees, etc. just because "hurr durr lower quality workers," there needs to be a law requiring employers to hire a certain number of them every year. Ideally, the demographics of a business's workforce should correspond exactly to the national demographics--13% of the employees must be African-American, 51% must be strong and highly independent womyn, 10% must be Homosexual-American, etc., and the pay for all of them must be exactly equal.

There will always be students and interns/trainees

What kind of bullshit is this? Why discriminate against students, interns, and trainees? Just because they lack experience, or a complete education, or even the ability to perform the work? There should be equal pay in ALL cases. The discrimination against the uneducated, inexperienced, and incapable needs to end.

We need a federal law dictating how much each position at every company should be paid. And to ensure that employers don't stop hiring students, trainees, etc. just because "hurr durr lower quality workers," there needs to be a law requiring employers to hire a certain number of them every year. Ideally, the demographics of a business's workforce should correspond exactly to the national demographics--13% of the employees must be African-American, 51% must be strong and highly independent womyn, 10% must be Homosexual-American, etc., and the pay for all of them must be exactly equal.

Hi LiberalMedia: I am talking about converting the slave labor going on in production to living wages.
In the transition time, we can't just suddenly jump up and pay all people 15 an hour for their time.
We could not afford the goods and services right now that are depending on cheap labor.

The transition must be gradual.

When I was a student and working a work-study job at 6.00 an hour on campus, that is still lower than
professionals who make 15 to 20 an hour.

This is NOT about enslaving anyone, but the opposite!

For workers making 50 cents a day, the FIRST step is to set up housing, services and education
where they exchange services. It may not suddenly jump up to 10 or 15 an hour overnight!

Now with the Ithaca HOURS system, they DO level out the currency at 10 an hour for all workers.

Sorry this was taken out of context.

I hope this is clear, that I am proposing how to transition AWAY from the slave labor of paying
people pennies where they have no means of supporting themselves.

In some poor countries, children still have to do some of the work to support their families.
So we have to come up with ways to transition OUT of that level of economy
and WORK UP gradually where it is stable.

What do you propose for changing the slave labor factories in Asia?

Another focus is RESTITUTION for human trafficking that can be invested in creating
schools, clinics, housing and jobs for these populations. So again my point is how
to transition and stop this disparity in people working for free or for pennies.

It's better than not starting anywhere and having no plan to transition away from slave labor.
Trading work for room and board through a campus system for financial or course credits
is at least better than prisons as some factories are run now that charge workers more money for housing
than they can make at their jobs so they stay indebted and enslaved. I'm talking about how to change that
and work TOWARD a fair wage.

With people convicted of crimes YES it is lawful to demand servitude as restitution
for the crimes one has legally been found guilty of, if that is what the law provides for.

So it is possible to use RESTITUTION for crimes as a way to manage labor to pay back debts to society,
such as caused by drug and human trafficking crimes that exploit poor populations. That money raised from
labor by the convicted offenders can be legally required to go back to pay society and victims to remedy the wrongs.

Do you have a problem with that concept?
Some liberals do. If people AGREE to a social contract where crimes will be paid back this way,
if everyone agrees to those standards of citizenship, I think that is enforceable by consent of the people
agreeing to follow such laws. I think that is better than the prison system we have now where billions are
spent that we don't all agree on, when we could be investing in setting up sustainable education, health care and housing with those same resources.

After allowing the Paycheck Fairness Act to move forward last week, Senate Republicans turned around on Monday evening and unanimously voted to block the bill, which would ban salary secrecy and tighten rules to try to narrow the gender wage gap.

The vote came weeks after the Republican National Committee claimed that “All Republicans support equal pay.” Senate Republicans have unanimously shot the bill down multiple times over the past four years.

The bill includes a number of provisions aimed at preventing the gender wage gap in the first place, which currently means a woman who works full time, year round makes 77 percent of what a similar man makes and hasn’t budged in a decade.

"Equal Pay Bill"? Awesome title.

Sounds as awesome as "The Patriot Act" and "Right to Farm" and "Operation Iranian Freedom" <- Right Wing bills the Right didn't read.

Forum List

Back