Republicans submit 43,000 sigs to put Nader on Michigan ticket

DKSuddeth

Oct 20, 2003
North Texas
abcnews

July 24, 2004 — Consumer advocate Ralph Nader's quixotic presidential campaign says it submitted about 5,400 signatures to get on the Michigan ballot, far short of the required number of 30,000. Luckily for him, approximately 43,000 signatures were filed by Michigan Republicans on his behalf, more than meeting the requirement.

This week in Michigan, state Democrats filed a complaint to challenge a majority of those signatures, which they say are invalid. It is one chapter in an odd but potentially history-altering side story of this presidential election: Pro-Nader Republicans and anti-Nader Democrats may now be waging more aggressive Nader campaigns than even Nader's own effort.

DKSuddeth said:
abcnews

July 24, 2004 — Consumer advocate Ralph Nader's quixotic presidential campaign says it submitted about 5,400 signatures to get on the Michigan ballot, far short of the required number of 30,000. Luckily for him, approximately 43,000 signatures were filed by Michigan Republicans on his behalf, more than meeting the requirement.

This week in Michigan, state Democrats filed a complaint to challenge a majority of those signatures, which they say are invalid. It is one chapter in an odd but potentially history-altering side story of this presidential election: Pro-Nader Republicans and anti-Nader Democrats may now be waging more aggressive Nader campaigns than even Nader's own effort.

Not ethical, but legal. Sort of right up there with felons registering people to vote and being allowed to vote themselves. :smoke:

dilloduck said:
Is negative campaigning also unethical ?

I don't think so. We have a long history of negative campaigns, as does England. :D The people don't like it, but it must be effective.

dilloduck said:
I don't see any difference between this and negative campaigning. Do what you can to beat your opponent.

Wow, I think DK may have a position for you in the government he is setting up, goal is to take over the world! Realpolitik to the nth!

Kathianne said:
Not ethical, but legal. Sort of right up there with felons registering people to vote and being allowed to vote themselves. :smoke:

True indeed. False Nader supporters should be wary of getting what they ask for, though!

I think this is a brilliant move on the Republican's part. The more states Nader is on the ballot the more votes that are siphoned off of Kerry. False Nader supporters don't exist because i'm guessing a relative few if any of those 43,000 Repub. sigs are actually going to vote for this guy, it was a way to ensure a Bush victory in Michigan, a very important state. Other Bush organizations in other states ought to do the same thing.

Demos are filing complaints, talk about pot kettle black!

Forum List

Back