Republicans FAIL in attempt to add $50 Billion to Deficit

Yes, it spends money. It kicks about a million people off of their employer-based health insurance.

How does their bill kick people off their employer policy?

Good lord. Let me explain the rationale for this GOP legislation to you. Under the ACA, employers of a certain size have to make an offer of insurance coverage to full-time employees. Insomuch as there's a distinction between "part-time" and "full-time" employees, that means there's a threshold: employees above that threshold need to be offered coverage, employees below it do not. The ACA establishes that threshold at 30 hours of work a week.

The existence of such a threshold will affect employer behavior. There will be a temptation to lower the hours of workers who are hovering around that threshold, to take them out of the equation when it comes to dealing with the employer mandate.

Clear so far?

The GOP wants to look like it's at least trying to do something about this. The obvious thing to do if you believe a threshold introduced by the law is changing employer behavior would be to remove the threshold. But for whatever reason, the GOP is not proposing to do that. Instead, they're proposing to move the threshold. From 30 hours to 40 hours a week.

But insofar as that threshold represents a perverse incentive, it affects workers near the threshold. If the requirement is 30 hours, then someone working say 31-35 hours may find themselves shifted below 30 hours. You're not likely to see people going all the way from 40 hours a week to 29, the 30-hour threshold affects those whose hours are closer to it--as a result, the evidence suggests the threshold has affected the hours of a few hundred thousand people. In other words, right now the number of workers impacted by the threshold isn't really all that high.

Shifting the threshold from 30 hours to 40 hours means you shift the folks it affects (i.e., those near the threshold). And a lot, lot more people work near the 40 hour threshold than the 30 hour threshold. So whatever perverse incentive is built into having a threshold will be amplified if you apply it to a much larger group of workers, as the GOP's bill does.

If you agree with the premise of the bill that there's a problem here of workers near the threshold being shifted below it to deny them access to their employer's insurance coverage, then it should be fairly obvious that subjecting more workers to the effects of that threshold makes the problem worse, not better. Which is the case here. More people will be shifted below the threshold under the GOP bill (and thus out of their employer-based coverage) for the simple reason that more people's hours hover around 40 hours than 30 hours.

The ones who don't just become uninsured as a result are picked up by government-subsidized programs.
Sounds like the government-subsidized programs are spending the $50 billion.

...yeah. Because the GOP's bill would have the effect of shifting more people into those programs.

Their "solution" doesn't match the problem they've diagnosed. That's the crux of the problem here. And it's why the costs of this bill far outweigh whatever benefits they're claiming are attached to it (which, again, I don't think they've even bothered to articulate).

That said, the GOP bill has at least been useful for illustrating why the ACA made the full-time threshold 30 hours instead of 40--it mutes the impact, and lessens the perverse incentive inherent in introducing such a threshold. In other words, 30 hours is better policy than 40 hours and the GOP is showing us why.

The existence of such a threshold will affect employer behavior. There will be a temptation to lower the hours of workers who are hovering around that threshold, to take them out of the equation when it comes to dealing with the employer mandate.

Wait, employers react negatively to a tax increase? Don't tell the liberals, it'll destroy their worldview.

LLMMAAOOOO libs raging about the deficit and then whine about not spending more on shovel rdy jobs.........
Not raging - RAVING!

RAGING is what wingnuts did from 2009-2013. They've since shut up about it, to not attract attention to Obama's success.

RAVING is what the Left is doing about Obama lowering the deficit by 2/3!

RAVING is what the Left is doing about Obama lowering the deficit by 2/3!

How did he do it?

BTW the drive to get rid of medical device tax is being led by prominent libs who were for it before they were against it.....alrdy Medtronic has offshored the corp hdqtrs

Wait, employers react negatively to a tax increase? Don't tell the liberals, it'll destroy their worldview.

I don't know, based on your posts above you seem pretty confused about this concept and I doubt you self-identify as a liberal.

But assuming you do get it, the problems with the GOP's bill should be becoming pretty obvious.

I don't know, based on your posts above you seem pretty confused about this concept and I doubt you self-identify as a liberal.

But assuming you do get it, the problems with the GOP's bill should be becoming pretty obvious.

I don't know, based on your posts above you seem pretty confused about this concept

I'm in favor of lower taxes, the concept is pretty clear to me.

BTW the drive to get rid of medical device tax is being led by prominent libs who were for it before they were against it.....alrdy Medtronic has offshored the corp hdqtrs

If you're talking about the liberals in the Minnesota and Massachusetts delegations, they've always been against the medical device tax.

Senators Klobuchar, Bayh, Lugar, Franken Push to Remove Proposed Fee on Medical Device Makers (September 15, 2009)

Kerry: Tax on Medical-Device Makers Could Derail Innovation
(September 22, 2009)

Etc.

I have not brought up the debt in this thread.

You brought up the deficit.

You don't know the difference between the deficit and the debt?

Why am I wasting my time with you, dope?

Last chance for you, Todd - make it retard-free.

I have not brought up the debt in this thread.

You brought up the deficit.

Why am I wasting my time with you, dope?

I do. I also know you keep saying Obama cut the deficit in half.
For some reason, you can't explain how he did it.

Now you know that any thread you're in will never be retard-free.

At least by half. So why are you trying to deflect, with the debt?

At least by half.

Yeah, that was wicked awesome! How'd he do it?

Budget Control Act of 2011

2011? But Republicans already controlled the House in 2011.

We're really supposed to believe that you care about the deficit? You voted twice for a president that has overseen a $7 trillion plus increase in the national debt since taking office. He's surpassed Bush.
that would explain this:

RP7cKkX.jpg

and this:

bJrekoX.jpg

and this Dont Taz Me Bro :eusa_whistle:

45HOxf5.jpg

Republicans Just Relaunched Their War on Obamacare. It Didn’t Go Well.

Now that Republicans are in control of both chambers of Congress, the push to slay Obamacare by a thousand cuts is officially underway. But if the first stab is any indication, Republicans are going to need some sharper knives.

*snip*

For starters, there is the basic problem that President Obama has made clear that he’ll veto the 40-hour measure. If he does, Republicans could still seek to use the proposal as a cudgel to attack the law politically, but even here there are problems. The Congressional Budget Office has given the measure a decidedly unfavorable review. It estimates that the bill would result in as many as 1 million workers having their hours cut to put them under the new 40-hour limit and thereby losing their employer coverage; about 500,000 workers being left without any health coverage at all; and the deficit increasing by more than $50 billion as a result of fewer employers paying the $3,000 fine, as well as more people turning to Medicaid and federal subsidies to purchase their own insurance after being denied employer coverage.

We're really supposed to believe that you care about the deficit? You voted twice for a president that has overseen a $7 trillion plus increase in the national debt since taking office. He's surpassed Bush.

Conservative 'math' lol

Clinton's last F/Y budget ends

Total US debt
09/30/2001 $ 5,807,463,412,200.06

Dubya's last debt
09/30/2009 11,909,829,003,511.75

6+ trillion more debt by Dubya, NOT even counting policies inherited by Obama

Government - Historical Debt Outstanding - Annual 2000 - 2014

100317_cartoon_600.jpg

At least by half. So why are you trying to deflect, with the debt?

At least by half.

Yeah, that was wicked awesome! How'd he do it?

Budget Control Act of 2011

2011? But Republicans already controlled the House in 2011.

lol

We already know what economic policies work best for our country. Clinton knew that we had to cut spending and increase revenues. We had revenues of 20.6% of GDP and a surplus in 2000. Then something terrible happened, the Republicans gained complete control in 2001 and instead of sticking with what was working they decided that their ideology was more important. The debt has gone up $12+ trillion since then.

Where is the jobs bills?

Why do we need a jobs bill, 5 years into a recovery?
You always need jobs and business to grow the tax base....

The time for a jobs bill is at the bottom of the cycle, not 5 years after the bottom.
The cheap way to create jobs would be to eliminate idiotic regulations.
Obama would never agree.

ANYTHING credible on regulations stopping job creation from those 'job creators' who have the largest Corp profits EVER recorded, lowest tax burden in 40+ years and first time EVER, labor costs less than 50% of costs?

Republicans Loved Stimulus When Bush Was in the White House
Back Then, Helping Boost Economic Growth Was Bipartisan

In January 2008 when the economic picture was far less dire and the unemployment rate was only 4.8 percent, 165 Republicans in the House of Representatives and 33 Republican senators voted to pass a stimulus package with an estimated cost of $152 billion

Republicans Loved Stimulus When Bush Was in the White House Center for American Progress Action Fund

Yes, it spends money. It kicks about a million people off of their employer-based health insurance.

How does their bill kick people off their employer policy?

Good lord. Let me explain the rationale for this GOP legislation to you. Under the ACA, employers of a certain size have to make an offer of insurance coverage to full-time employees. Insomuch as there's a distinction between "part-time" and "full-time" employees, that means there's a threshold: employees above that threshold need to be offered coverage, employees below it do not. The ACA establishes that threshold at 30 hours of work a week.

Clear so far?

The GOP wants to look like it's at least trying to do something about this. The obvious thing to do if you believe a threshold introduced by the law is changing employer behavior would be to remove the threshold. But for whatever reason, the GOP is not proposing to do that. Instead, they're proposing to move the threshold. From 30 hours to 40 hours a week.

But insofar as that threshold represents a perverse incentive, it affects workers near the threshold. If the requirement is 30 hours, then someone working say 31-35 hours may find themselves shifted below 30 hours. You're not likely to see people going all the way from 40 hours a week to 29, the 30-hour threshold affects those whose hours are closer to it--as a result, the evidence suggests the threshold has affected the hours of a few hundred thousand people. In other words, right now the number of workers impacted by the threshold isn't really all that high.

Shifting the threshold from 30 hours to 40 hours means you shift the folks it affects (i.e., those near the threshold). And a lot, lot more people work near the 40 hour threshold than the 30 hour threshold. So whatever perverse incentive is built into having a threshold will be amplified if you apply it to a much larger group of workers, as the GOP's bill does.

If you agree with the premise of the bill that there's a problem here of workers near the threshold being shifted below it to deny them access to their employer's insurance coverage, then it should be fairly obvious that subjecting more workers to the effects of that threshold makes the problem worse, not better. Which is the case here. More people will be shifted below the threshold under the GOP bill (and thus out of their employer-based coverage) for the simple reason that more people's hours hover around 40 hours than 30 hours.

The ones who don't just become uninsured as a result are picked up by government-subsidized programs.
Sounds like the government-subsidized programs are spending the $50 billion.

...yeah. Because the GOP's bill would have the effect of shifting more people into those programs.

Their "solution" doesn't match the problem they've diagnosed. That's the crux of the problem here. And it's why the costs of this bill far outweigh whatever benefits they're claiming are attached to it (which, again, I don't think they've even bothered to articulate).

That said, the GOP bill has at least been useful for illustrating why the ACA made the full-time threshold 30 hours instead of 40--it mutes the impact, and lessens the perverse incentive inherent in introducing such a threshold. In other words, 30 hours is better policy than 40 hours and the GOP is showing us why.

"Wait, employers react negatively to a tax increase? Don't tell the liberals, it'll destroy their worldview."

Well tax cuts sure didn't help under Ronnie OR Dubya remember (Carter 9+ million PRIVATE sector jobs in 4 years to Ronnie's 14 million, Dubya lost over 1+ mullion).

Didn't Clinton increase taxes A LOT and add over 21+ million PRIVATE sector jobs?

Forum List

Back